[SOLVED] Error: "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 30, 2022
I've had this error for about 3 months now with nothing I do fixes it except for one thing which only solved it for about a week which was downclocking memory speed on my gpu.

Things I have tried are :
  • I've used DDU multiple times and it didn't work.
  • I've rolled back drivers, didn't work.
  • Check temps, undervolted, didn't work.
  • Tried using 1 stick of ram at a time and still didn't work.
  • I even got a new motherboard, power supply, AIO and case and it still didn't fix it.
  • Stress testing CPU
  • Getting new Ram
  • Trying GPU in another pc
  • More things I can't remember
With my X570-I, theres a white Led on VGA which detects a problem for my GPU and normally people have no display with it but my display works fine.

Specs:
5600X
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Asus Strix X570-I
Corsair SF750 PSU
NZXT Kraken X63
Old kit: Patriot Viper Steel 4400Mhz 2x8 (16GB) Current kit: Crucial Ballistix Max 2x16 (32GB) 4400Mhz (running at 3600) ram (problems still were there when using either kit)
970 evo plus 500gb (Main)
860 evo 1tb (games)
MX500 1tb (games)

Last edited:
Solution
Net result being that two different GPU's do not work in your current PC. Correct?

However, the 1080 ti (provided that I have correctly followed everything :) ) apparently does not work at all.

I think you are narrowing down the potential culprit.

If no GPU's will work in the current PC then the current computer/motherboard is suspect.

If a given GPU does not work in any PCs then that GPU is suspect.

Will the 1080ti work in some other known working computer other than your own systems?

That is important to know.
May 30, 2022
So a borrowed GPU worked - correct?

Try your GPU in another known working computer to determine if the GPU works.

Also test using different video ports and video cables.

Be methodical about testing different combinations to determine what (if anything) works and what does not work.

Change only one thing at a time.
The borrowed GPU doesn't work in my current PC but works in my very old one (the one with the i7-2600) while my 1080 ti doesn't work in both.

Ralston18

Titan
Net result being that two different GPU's do not work in your current PC. Correct?

However, the 1080 ti (provided that I have correctly followed everything :) ) apparently does not work at all.

If no GPU's will work in the current PC then the current computer/motherboard is suspect.

Will the 1080ti work in some other known working computer other than your own systems?

Reactions: End3rdog
Solution
May 30, 2022

I do not have another computer but I do have another case that has another motherboard, psu and ram kit in it which I will try the cpu & both gpus in soon. I tend to be really paranoid when moving pc parts.

May 30, 2022
The 5600x (my current cpu which was thought to be dead) with the 1050 ti works in a sketchy pc I made out of my previous parts (msi mpg b550 gaming edge wifi, patriot viper steel 4400mhz 2x8, silencer mk3 1200w (literally 8 year old psu) and it all works.

the 1080 Ti however, still no display and the lights on it are red on VGA

so dead gpu and dead motherboard or pcie extender

Ralston18

Titan
Glad you found the problem.

As for being paranoid about moving pc parts that is understandable. So much can go wrong. Especially if "wrong" to begin with.

However, doing some careful pre-planning, reading up on specs, configurations, compatibilities, installation, being methodical, changing only one thing at a time, use proper tools, and taking your time can and will avoid many potential problems. Clean, well lit workspace. Keep it neat.

And learning to stop and go back if something is not right or does not seem right is important. Take breaks, clear your mind, regroup as necessary.

Actually that all holds true for just about any sort of work or effort.