Error message after copying and pasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2018
Every time I copy something then try to paste it I get this message:

C:\Users\MacShat\AppData\Local\Temp\PRODUCT_NAME_UNKNOWN_CrashDumpPRODUCT_VERSION_MAJOR_UNKNOWN-PRODUCT_VERSION_MINOR_UNKNOWN-2018-09-17--23-04-05_.dmp.

I ran the memory diagnostic tool and when my RAM is on the XMP profile a hardware problem is detected. The issue I have now comes and goes meaning sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I don't know if its a RAM issue or not. I have the Corsair Vengence RGB 2x8GB 3000mHz sticks. I could use some help considering copying and pasting is pretty essential for everyday tasks.

Solution
I have had exactly the same problem as the OP.
Virtually unable to copy and paste. When I pasted I would almost always get:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\PRODUCT_NAME_UNKNOWN_CrashDumpPRODUCT_VERSION_MAJOR_UNKNOWN-PRODUCT_VERSION_MINOR_UNKNOWN-2018-10-31--18-50-53_.dmp

With different time/date stamps at the end.

The file itself was appearing in the Temp folder, roughly 100k in size and at a rate of about one file every couple of seconds.
The dmp files themselves contained references to a Nahimic service as well as several other files.

The Nahimic service is part of Sonic Studio which is installed (in my case) along with the Asus Realtek audio driver install. I tried removing and reinstalling the drivers. This worked for a...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try downloading and running memtest86 on your ram. Check each stick by itself, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0. Any count higher could be reason for those errors you are getting, remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

try with and without XMP on, since you say you don't get errors without XMP.

Reinstall mainboard drivers. Some people who encountered this issue claim it was Realtek High Definition driver which caused the trouble. Uninstalled it -> Reinstalled it and everything went smooth.

In any case your algoritm should be like this:

1) download a program that can read DMP files, open .dmp file and try to find the culprit
2) check hardware: memory test, HDD test
3) check Windows: Blue Screen Troubleshooter, reinstall/update all drivers, delete recent windows updates or recently installed apps

Sep 17, 2018
So I just got new RAM (Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB Same 16GB 2X8 3000mHz) and installed it today. Still having the same issue. I don't think XMP is a factor as even when it is off, I still get the error. So i'm going to try what Traditore suggested and reinstall some drivers. If you could link me to the threads of other having the same issue that would be appreciated.

Oct 31, 2018
I have had exactly the same problem as the OP.
Virtually unable to copy and paste. When I pasted I would almost always get:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\PRODUCT_NAME_UNKNOWN_CrashDumpPRODUCT_VERSION_MAJOR_UNKNOWN-PRODUCT_VERSION_MINOR_UNKNOWN-2018-10-31--18-50-53_.dmp

With different time/date stamps at the end.

The file itself was appearing in the Temp folder, roughly 100k in size and at a rate of about one file every couple of seconds.
The dmp files themselves contained references to a Nahimic service as well as several other files.

The Nahimic service is part of Sonic Studio which is installed (in my case) along with the Asus Realtek audio driver install. I tried removing and reinstalling the drivers. This worked for a couple of reboots (for some reason) but then the problem would start again.

Running Procmon (a tool which analyses file reads and writes on systems) I could see that the Nahimic service itself was creating the files. (I originally thought it was a Windows Defender problem but it turned out to be a red herring).

EDIT - See my last EDIT for a proper workaround!

Two solutions seem to work:

Solution 1:

Disable the Nahimic service:
Right click Windows Logo, bottom left
Click computer management
Click Services and applications
Click Services
Find "Nahimic service" and right click it
Click Properties
Click the stop button
Change startup type from Automatic to disabled
Click OK.
Check you can copy and paste again.

Solution 2:

Uninstall both Sonic Studio applications in your apps and features panel.
Right click Windows Logo, bottom left
Click Settings
Click Apps
Find both Sonic Studio references and uninstall.

You *might* want to check that the Nahimic service has stopped running after doing this.

You won't be able to use Sonic Studio after this but it won't stop your sound working.

Hope this helps!

EDIT:
Although my problem stayed fixed I wasn't happy that Sonic Studio wouldn't work. After many more attempts to re-install the drivers I couldn't get it to run. In the end I installed a completely fresh copy of Windows 10 (1803). I now have Sonic Studio working but my temp folder, dissappointingly, does contain 8 dump files of the same type. I have several fingers crossed that this isn't the start of exactly the same problem!

EDIT:
The problem hasn't gone away unfortunately. It comes back again when the system is first turned on. If I restart from Windows it seems to fix it (it has on at least 5 reboots so far at any rate). I've now contacted Asus (the motherboard manufacturer) for support, it must be a driver or BIOS problem (or both).

EDIT:
Latest findings just to keep my original post up to date.

Disabling Fastboot in BIOS had no impact on the problem.

I now have a slight workaround for this. After looking at Fastboot it got me thinking about whether this was BIOS or driver. As an experiment I restarted in Windows but at post I turned off. When I turned the system back on again and booted into Windows the Nahimic service behaved itself. I've tested this a few times now and it appears to be consistent.

So:

Cleanly shut Windows down, system turns off - Next power on - Nahimic Service creates CrashDump files.
Restart system from within Windows and boot back into Windows - Nahimic service works fine.
Restart system from within Windows and THEN turn off manually - Next power on - Nahimic service works fine.

This would seem to suggest that Windows or the Nahimic service doesn't set something properly during a Windows Shutdown.

EDIT

I found a workaround which seems to work for me at least, see my last post in this thread for full details and a how to but the solution for me for now is to disable fast startup in Windows. I've tested this several times and it appears to work.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
updating Intel chipset driver might help - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/953805-copy-paste-not-working-correctly/

Nahimic is for headsets? Might explain why 2 Motherboard makers - asus & MSI - who normally don't mix, use the same service - https://www.msi.com/page/nahimic

Seems MSI are slow to get newest drivers for it, Asus might be as well. Saw mention of looking on Nahimic FB page for latest drivers.

if they haven't got new drivers,m removing seems only choice. Its happening with MSI boards as well as Asus. Anyone who uses Nahimic - https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=309760.0

Oct 31, 2018
In response to shknawe and Colif:

I tried cleaning the registry on my previous Windows 10 install. Obviously the new install was clean anyway. I installed the latest Intel chipset driver first followed by the sound drivers, a few reboots later the problem was back.

On my current install: (I've check this many times now)

A boot from power off (not unplugged, just a proper shutdown) - problem comes back, folder starts filling with dmp files and copy & paste grabs the filename from the clipboard. A new file appears every 3-4 seconds.

If I then do a restart - problems goes away. No new files appear and copy and paste works as expected.

As I mentioned above I did have one case where I found a few files in the folder but it is quite possible I restarted the PC before the Nahimic service got chance to write loads of the bloody things.

It reminds me of a problem I had years ago with a Razer mouse which didn't work at all in Windows on a power on. It did work if I restarted. A firmware (and/or driver) update fixed it so it worked at power on.

I haven't heard back from Asus yet but it is the weekend.

Nov 3, 2018
I had an audio issue that behaved similarly back in the days of the x58 chipset. After a cold boot the Audio would get wonky after a random amount of time and then it would BSOD (truly annoying cause it often happened during online gaming sessions). It took me days of troubleshooting until I noticed that if I restarted the PC immediately after the 1st boot, i was crash free all day.
So, I went on and tried to figure what was different between a cold boot and a restart.
The answer: "Fast Boot" works only from cold boot not during restarts.
*Disabled Fast Boot and presto problem was solved.
I think it is worth a try in your case.

Oct 31, 2018
I have a slight workaround for this. After looking at Fastboot it got me thinking about whether this was BIOS or driver. As an experiment I restarted in Windows but at post I turned off. When I turned the system back on again and booted into Windows the Nahimic service behaved itself. I've tested this a few times now and it appears to be consistent.

So:

Cleanly shut Windows down, system turns off - Next power on - Nahimic Service creates CrashDump files.
Restart system from within Windows and boot back into Windows - Nahimic service works fine.
Restart system from within Windows and THEN turn off manually - Next power on - Nahimic service works fine.

This would seem to suggest that Windows or the Nahimic service doesnt set something properly during a Windows Shutdown.

EDIT

I think I've gotten to the bottom of this now.
Using a command prompt:

Shutdown /s - works fine
Shutdown /sg - works fine
Shutdown /r - works fine
Shutdown /s /hybrid - Problem comes back!

I believe that the default Shutdown behaviour in Windows is now a Hybrid shutdown.

EDIT: This should be a final workaround until the developers fix the underlying problem

I have a proper workaround for this now. Turn off fast startup which is on by default in Window 10. I've tested this numerous times now (and on 2 different PCs!) and it has fixed it for me so far at least:

Right click the Windows Icon, bottom left
Click Power Options
Click Additional power settings on the right of the menu
Click Choose what the power buttons do on the left of the menu
Click Change settings that are currently unavailable
Under Shut-down settings uncheck "Turn on fast start-up (recommended)

Hopefully Nahimic will fix their software so it can cope with a Hybrid shutdown!

2018-11-04.png

Oct 31, 2018
This appears to be a common fault.
I've just repeated the fault on my son's Asus Z370 Hero X board. He had the standard Windows driver installed. I put the Asus driver install on with Sonic Studio and he ended up with exactly the same problem. Disabling fast startup worked on his system too.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Fast startup is hybrid, its been like it since win 8.1 days. Its meant to speed up boot times on systems with hdd, as instead of turning off, it saves a copy of all running drivers + a copy of the kernel into ram so when PC starts, its already half loaded. It does trip up drivers not written to cope with the new power schemes in win 10 so it is a work around for old drivers.

If pc has an ssd, you don't need Fast startup as you won't see any benefit. except maybe a faster shutdown.

Oct 31, 2018
I haven't had a response from Asus from their support team on my last ticket so I've logged another request.

@Colif Actually despite having my OS installed on a Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 my boot up speed is noticeably slower, still quick but not as quick. Shutdown is a lot slower, at least 20 seconds compared to probably 5-10. Not a biggie regardless but it would be nice for Nahimic to fix their drivers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I normally run it on my PC even though I have an ssd. I agree some things are faster as RAM is faster to write too than even an NVME.

Only once we all have optane as ram and storage will it get to point they are same speed. Fast startup will have lost a reason to exist.. that will not happen for a long time, as too many PC out there with not top line specs now.

Back on topic: Yes, MSI & Asus should have chosen drivers that work with win 10 power modes. Especially on new systems.

Oct 31, 2018
Update:

Asus have responded and I have filled in a fairly in-depth form about the problem. I'm hoping this will have some impact! I've also email Nahimic themselves but haven't had anything back so far.

There was a driver update this evening for Realtek 8507 to 8577. I've tried it and nothing has changed. Same problem if I re-enable fast start.

And on that subject:

@Colif. I did a proper test tonight and was quite shocked at the results of fast start. I'd done so much restarting of my system that I'd forgotten just how quick it boots with fast start enabled.

With fast start: 1 second from Asus logo to Windows login, 2-3 seconds to shutdown
Without fast start: 12 seconds from Asus logo to Windows login, 20 seconds (varies though) to shutdown.

Now I really miss fast start even if 12 seconds isn't the end of the world :)

Nov 13, 2018

I tried this and it worked for a couple of days, but it just started happening again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
check windows updates as some are posting it can be fixed via that as well - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-with-copy-paste-crash-dump/5f188b8f-fc9f-40f1-a7e0-14f9078b43b6

Seems there is some Nahimici 2 drivers that win 10 doesn't support, Nahimic 3 is written to run on 10, I don't have any idea which versions of the software anyone here has, would need to ask the makers.

"As you may know, Nahimic 3 is a Windows 10 Application that has been developed based on the new Microsoft architecture called UWP. This calls for “Universal Windows Platform” and concerns all Windows 10 applications that you may find on the Windows Store.

This technology is highly different from Nahimic 2+, which was developed as a WPF software.

After a long talk with Microsoft, it appears that in the end we will not have the opportunity to let Nahimic 2+ users update to Nahimic 3.

In fact, Microsoft made the decision to avoid systems using old platform drivers (called Legacy drivers, used by Nahimic 2+) updating to new UAD drivers (used by Nahimic 3). The reason for this is that it exists many differences between Legacy and UAD drivers, and the update from one to another may cause critical conflicts, instabilities and unsuspected behaviors."

If we want to stay installed on new computers with Windows 10, we need to follow their guidelines. Of course you can customize your ID, your registry keys, your driver protection signature to make it working, but there are too many possibilities of problems to support it as a viable solution. We are working to ensure the stability of the products on the new architecture.

https://nahimic.helprace.com/i564-msi-users-nahimic-3-is-compatible-with-previous-intel-cpu-8th-gen-realtek-cards

Oct 31, 2018
@colif,

Most people I've come into contact with since my posts (on several forums including this one) are using a 370 or 390 board which support Nahimic 3.

@Aron and Cahz

The fast startup fix is still working for me (Asus Max Hero XI and Asus Max Hero X), I have had one crash dump on the 14th and that's it. My son's PC has had a few, 4 yesterday at different times but nothing to cause a general, constant copy/paste problem and filling up the temp folder.

If you restart the PC does it still fix the problem? On Linus Tech Tips one user there mentioned that restarting does still fix it.. If it does then you could try a command prompt shutdown - say "shutdown /s" and see if that works. It it does, you could create a batch file and run it when you want to shut the system down.

Failing that, if you are using an Asus board you could try the slimmed down drivers which don't have Nahimic/Sonic Studio -

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105878-DRIVERS-Realtek-HD-Audio-(HDA)

Finally, you could just disable the Nahimic service in services. I used this method when testing and the user on the Linus forum has chosen this method when disabling fast startup didn't seem to fix it for him either.

I am currently using the Asus Nahimic enabled driver 6.0.0.8557 and Windows 10 Home version 1803, OS build 17134.407.

I contacted Asus over a week ago about this but they contacted me a couple of days back to say they are still working on it but hadn't been able to replicate the problem.

I am unsure whether Asus staff are reading this forum but I provided a link to it. It might help for you to provide your system specs, driver versions and so on.

Nov 16, 2018
unfortunately I have this same problem. Doing my head in. I never thought copying and pasting anything would be such a difficult task. I have windows 10 pro and Asus Z370-G Gaming motherboard. Hopefully there be a fix real soon.

Oct 31, 2018

Have you tried turning off fast start up in Windows (plz see my previous posts)? Does the problem go away on a Windows restart and then come back again when you shut down?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wish I had an answer but there is no clear one on google. It is confusing as to who is meant to fix it. So far I seen MSI, Asus, Realtek, Nahimic and Microsoft.

On MSI boards Nahimic is either part of Realtek drivers or by itself - see here which is confusing.

Random Z390 board - only realtek drivers, no other audio - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z390-A-PRO#down-driver&Win10%2064

Nahimic drivers have caused problems on MSI boards for a few years, not this problem though, this has started about June from what I can see.

In Asus its part of Sonic Suite.

So MSI might have merged it into Realtek drivers whereas Asus use Sonic Suite. I think nahimic files are just dynamic link libraries merged into the program

Microsoft mentioned as they helped Nahimic create version 3 as a file using UWP which is basically a file you can get off Windows store as an update, so maybe the fix will come via windows update.

It would appear Nahimic are the ones who need to fix something

Oct 31, 2018
"Nahimic is an audio spatialization solution created by the French company A-Volute, embedded on leading and premium PC gaming manufacturers. Our patented technology originated from military research, and was redesigned for gaming, all through an intelligent and intuitive software."

A-Volute appears to be the developer of Sonic Studio.

As far as I can see Sonic Studio is a branded version of what MSI call Nahimic 3/Audio Boost. On MSI Nahimic enabled boards there appears to be an addon chip called "Audio Boost". I assume this will be the same as the chip called "SupremeFX" on Nahimic enabled Asus boards (such as the ones I have - HERO X and HERO XI).

Both Asus and MSI appear to embed the Nahimic drivers/libraries/sofware within the main Realtek/Audio driver installation.

I am quite puzzled as to why Asus haven't been able to duplicate the problem themselves (I've seen some screenshots of their progress... or lack of). I haven't been able to get either of my systems running without the problem no matter what I do unless I leave the default Microsoft driver or install the slim driver without the Nahimic software. It looks like there are plenty of other users out there with exactly the same problem.

Aron Vajda

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
I have a maximus x. Tried disabling the fast startup (boot is 20-30 sec with m.2, damn...), worked for a few days then suddenly the problem came back.

Disabled the nahimic service, but then the sonic studio won't open. This is a problem for me, because I use the sonic studio for device routing. Back io for speaker, front for headphones.

Only, thing that solves it to a degree is restarting after turning the pc on. At one point the temp folder is loaded with PRODUCT_NAME_UNKNOWN_CrashDumpPRODUCT_VERSION_MAJOR_UNKNOWN-PRODUCT_VERSION_MINOR_UNKNOWN-2018-11-17--12-12-29_.dmp files and then it happens again. This happens at total random intervals. I delete the files, and then it's ok again after restarting.

Status
Not open for further replies.