[SOLVED] Ethernet Connection: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

May 20, 2021
Hello!

My Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) 1219-V gives me this device status when booting:

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful."

And on the "Events" tabs it shows that "Device not started (e1dexpress)" with the following information:

"Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15BC&SUBSYS_7B171462&REV_10\3&11583659&0&FE had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem83.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: e1dexpress
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0xA
Problem Status: 0xC0000001"

When trying to update the driver through "search automatically for drivers" it states:
"Windows has determined that the best driver for this device is already installed. There may be better drivers on Windows Update or on the device manufacturer's website"

When trying to update the driver through "Browse my computer for drivers" it states:
"Windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them. This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I have tried the following solutions with no results:
  • Rebooting
  • Turning off fast booting
  • Windows Update
  • Driver update for the device from both MSI (my mobo) & Intel
  • Roll back driver
  • Uninstall the device
  • Disable and enable the device
  • Changed the ethernet cable to one that is 100% working on different computers

The only other solutions that might work that I have not tried is a BIOS update and Windows System Restore, which is my last resort if there are no other options that might seem obvious.

I recently changed my case and therefore had to rebuild everything, so I am speculating if there are any cables that I might have forgotten to connect which would make this an issue.

Specs (everything pretty much new hardware except PSU):

Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K @ 3.6GHz OC to 4.2 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8 GB DDR4 2666 MHz with XMP on
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
PSU: 750 Watt

Solution
Maybe try a USB linux boot image. The generic drivers in most linux installations should run the ethernet port in your board. You should see a message as the port activates but if you miss it a simple ping to the router ip will verify if it works. This purely is to avoid the blindly reinstalling windows and hoping to fix it. If linux also does not work then it becomes even more likely it is a hardware issue.
May 20, 2021
Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Wireless LAN adapter Lokal tilkobling* 5:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #5
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 78-2B-46-B4-A6-E6
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Lokal tilkobling* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #6
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 7A-2B-46-B4-A6-E5
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ralston18

Titan
No wired adapter. Wireless adapters disconnected.

In Device Manager > View check that "Show hidden devices" is checked.

Scroll down to Network adapters - do you seen any listed? E.g. "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller".

Right click and Enable if necessary. Then go to properties - are you able to see the Properties Window and tabs?

Next open Powershell as Admin and run the following cmdlet at the PS> prompt:

Get-NetAdapter

The results should be similar to the following from my computer:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-NetAdapter

Name InterfaceDescription ifIndex Status MacAddress LinkSpeed
---- -------------------- ------- ------ ---------- ---------
Bluetooth Network Conn... Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Netw... 13 Disconnected 74-40-BB-D5-2D-BE 3 Mbps
MXXXXXX Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller 12 Up 8C-EC-4B-7E-7E-D4 1 Gbps

Note: The XXXXXX's being the redaction of my network name.

May 20, 2021
No wired adapter. Wireless adapters disconnected.

In Device Manager > View check that "Show hidden devices" is checked.

Scroll down to Network adapters - do you seen any listed? E.g. "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller".

Right click and Enable if necessary. Then go to properties - are you able to see the Properties Window and tabs?

Next open Powershell as Admin and run the following cmdlet at the PS> prompt:

Get-NetAdapter

The results should be similar to the following from my computer:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-NetAdapter

Bluetooth Network Conn... Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Netw... 13 Disconnected 74-40-BB-D5-2D-BE 3 Mbps
MXXXXXX Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller 12 Up 8C-EC-4B-7E-7E-D4 1 Gbps

Note: The XXXXXX's being the redaction of my network name.

By checking "Show hidden devices" these two shows up:
Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2

Both are showing this:
"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

I think these devices are connected to my PCIe Wi-Fi Card (I did not plug in the cable from the card due to there being limitations of connections on the mobo) and are therefore not related to the ethernet. I may be wrong.

By running Get-NetAdapter I get this result:
Wi-Fi Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz 11 Up 78-2B-46-B4-A6-E5 270 Mbps
Ethernet 2 Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V 9 0 bps

So I think after reading your first post you say you replaced the motherboard?

The most likely cause is there is a driver for the motherboard missing. These normally come with the motherboard but you can download them. You must load the motherboard driver and then the ethernet port will appear and you can load the driver for that.

What I also suspect you did is you did not reinstall windows. It might work to use the windows install from a different machine but many times windows is not real smart and you get a mixture of stuff from the old and new machine. It is always best to reinstall windows if you replace your motherboard.

May 20, 2021
So I think after reading your first post you say you replaced the motherboard?

The most likely cause is there is a driver for the motherboard missing. These normally come with the motherboard but you can download them. You must load the motherboard driver and then the ethernet port will appear and you can load the driver for that.

What I also suspect you did is you did not reinstall windows. It might work to use the windows install from a different machine but many times windows is not real smart and you get a mixture of stuff from the old and new machine. It is always best to reinstall windows if you replace your motherboard.

I only changed the case, so the rest of the hardware are the same as before this change, including the motherboard. Why I thought this was relevant for this post is that I might have missed connecting some cables that could be related to this problem.

I see I guess I misread this.

Still this is the message you get when you are missing a motherboard driver. Does not make a lot of sense if the motherboard is the same.

I would boot it into the bios and check that there is not some option to disable the ethernet port.

The ethernet port is part of the motherboard and you do not have to connect anything it should just work. Check all your power connections but I would think other stuff would be broke if you forgot to connect a power connector.

May 20, 2021
I see I guess I misread this.

Still this is the message you get when you are missing a motherboard driver. Does not make a lot of sense if the motherboard is the same.

I would boot it into the bios and check that there is not some option to disable the ethernet port.

The ethernet port is part of the motherboard and you do not have to connect anything it should just work. Check all your power connections but I would think other stuff would be broke if you forgot to connect a power connector.

Yea I figured that, I have tried to mess around in the BIOS related to LAN settings but nothing have worked for now. I have a small speculation that it might be PSU related due to it being old. Maybe there is not enough power or something, but changing the PSU would be the absolute last resort.

Ralston18

Titan
Powershell is seeing adapter #5 per "ipconfig /all". (Based on the MAC = 78-2B-46-B4-A6-E5.)

And Device Manager is seeing "#2"

This:

"(I did not plug in the cable from the card due to there being limitations of connections on the mobo) and are therefore not related to the ethernet."

As noted by @bill001g there is no need for a physical power connection.

Are you able to take take couple of photographs of the card you are using and the "unplugged" cable? Post using imgur (www.imgur.com) and paste the link herein.

Have you been making attempts to use your computer as a hotspot?

Reference:

https://superuser.com/questions/1580417/what-is-microsoft-wi-fi-direct-virtual-adapter-used-for

Another thought: Hardware changes:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-virtual/3ae86232-d4fd-4236-a62c-7c64c349e801

Or trying setup up virtual machines and/or to spoof MAC's?

= = = =

For the time being, I would not suspect the PSU.

Overall, I believe, it is more likely that there are multiple issues with mismatching between hardware, drivers/software, and configuration settings.

What is the end requirement for network connectivity: wired or wireless?

Start with wired: Immediate objective being to re-establish network and internet connectivity.

Disable all wireless adapters.

Connect the computer to the router with the known working Ethernet cable using the motherboard's LAN port.

Reboot. Then reconfigure the network adapter as necessary for your network.

Starting point:

https://help.keenetic.com/hc/en-us/...atically-obtain-an-IP-address-from-the-router

You should see " Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" as a choice within the Network Connections window.

May 20, 2021
Powershell is seeing adapter #5 per "ipconfig /all". (Based on the MAC = 78-2B-46-B4-A6-E5.)

And Device Manager is seeing "#2"

This:

"(I did not plug in the cable from the card due to there being limitations of connections on the mobo) and are therefore not related to the ethernet."

As noted by @bill001g there is no need for a physical power connection.

Are you able to take take couple of photographs of the card you are using and the "unplugged" cable? Post using imgur (www.imgur.com) and paste the link herein.

Have you been making attempts to use your computer as a hotspot?

Reference:

https://superuser.com/questions/1580417/what-is-microsoft-wi-fi-direct-virtual-adapter-used-for

Another thought: Hardware changes:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-virtual/3ae86232-d4fd-4236-a62c-7c64c349e801

Or trying setup up virtual machines and/or to spoof MAC's?

= = = =

For the time being, I would not suspect the PSU.

Overall, I believe, it is more likely that there are multiple issues with mismatching between hardware, drivers/software, and configuration settings.

What is the end requirement for network connectivity: wired or wireless?

Start with wired: Immediate objective being to re-establish network and internet connectivity.

Disable all wireless adapters.

Connect the computer to the router with the known working Ethernet cable using the motherboard's LAN port.

Reboot. Then reconfigure the network adapter as necessary for your network.

Starting point:

https://help.keenetic.com/hc/en-us/...atically-obtain-an-IP-address-from-the-router

You should see " Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" as a choice within the Network Connections window.

"Are you able to take take couple of photographs of the card you are using and the "unplugged" cable? "
View: https://i.imgur.com/0XuMSMy.jpg

The Wi-Fi card is "TP-Link Archer TX50E" and is the one behind the cable from the picture. The cable is connected to the card and I believe its whole purpose is to provide Bluetooth.

"Have you been making attempts to use your computer as a hotspot? / Or trying setup up virtual machines and/or to spoof MAC's?"
I have never done this before with this computer.

"What is the end requirement for network connectivity: wired or wireless?"
The end requirement is to use wired network connectivity mainly and change to wireless when that is required (due to travelling).

"Start with wired: Immediate objective being to re-establish network and internet connectivity."
I will try to do this pretty soon and post a update on the result.

Ralston18

Titan
May 20, 2021
Yes: get wired working first.

Then wireless thereafter:

FYI:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202004/20200420/1910012781_Archer TX50E_UG_REV1.0.0.pdf

(Do verify that I found the correct User Guide.)

And remember that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless as necessary) should be enabled at any given time.

Plus you will need to reconfigure that adapter as necessary to join the desired network.

"Start with wired: Immediate objective being to re-establish network and internet connectivity."
I tried disabling the Wi-Fi card by removing it from the PCIe slot and then booting the computer. The result was the same with no connection through the ethernet with the same code 10 error. While at it, I ran the network troubleshooting which only made me restart the computer, which changed nothing.

"Do verify that I found the correct User Guide"
I do believe this is the right User Guide

May 20, 2021
Okay: Going back to Post #9 (you).

Current PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Basis for your speculation? Other system/pc problems? What else, if anything, is happening?

The PSU is a XFX PRO750W Core Edition. Basis for speculation is due to it being 5-6 years old, however the condition is still good. There is nothing really happening that would make me suspect it other than the age.

Maybe try a USB linux boot image. The generic drivers in most linux installations should run the ethernet port in your board. You should see a message as the port activates but if you miss it a simple ping to the router ip will verify if it works. This purely is to avoid the blindly reinstalling windows and hoping to fix it. If linux also does not work then it becomes even more likely it is a hardware issue.

Solution