Question Ethernet not working, please help

Jason21715

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017
Hello, I've been trying to fix this since yesterday and haven't found anything. I'll list information and solutions I have already tried.

Information:
-PC says unidentified network, it sends packets but not receiving any
-IPV4 is auto figured and starts with 169.254.xxx.xxx
-The ethernet cable is grayed out, but says it's connected on the window settings.
- I only receive pings back when I ping the 169.254.xxx.xxx in cmd, nothing else pings back
-Troubleshooter says ethernet doesnt have a valid IP configuration
-WIFI works and ethernet for other computers work except mine

I have tried:
-Another Ethernet Cable
-Ran safe mode
-Ran all the cmd commands (inconsistent, netsh int)
-Reset router/modem

I'm assuming it's something inside my computer that is wrong and not the cable or router.

Any help would be appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I've been trying to fix this since yesterday and haven't found anything. I'll list information and solutions I have already tried.

Information:
-PC says unidentified network, it sends packets but not receiving any
-IPV4 is auto figured and starts with 169.254.xxx.xxx
-The ethernet cable is grayed out, but says it's connected on the window settings.
- I only receive pings back when I ping the 169.254.xxx.xxx in cmd, nothing else pings back
-Troubleshooter says ethernet doesnt have a valid IP configuration
-WIFI works and ethernet for other computers work except mine

I have tried:
-Another Ethernet Cable
-Ran safe mode
-Ran all the cmd commands (inconsistent, netsh int)
-Reset router/modem

I'm assuming it's something inside my computer that is wrong and not the cable or router.

Any help would be appreciated.
You have a 169.x.y.z address because DHCP is not working.
99% of the time that is a cable problem.
Do you have a "flat" cable?
Is there in-wall cabling?
Have you tried it with a short (3m) cable ?

Jason21715

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017
You have a 169.x.y.z address because DHCP is not working.
99% of the time that is a cable problem.
Do you have a "flat" cable?
Is there in-wall cabling?
Have you tried it with a short (3m) cable ?

Yea, I'm currently use in-wall cabling, and I've tried with a short cable. It blinks green and orange just like the original one. As for flat cable, I'm pretty sure I'm already using one. Thanks for the reply though.

kanewolf

Titan
Yea, I'm currently use in-wall cabling, and I've tried with a short cable. It blinks green and orange just like the original one. As for flat cable, I'm pretty sure I'm already using one. Thanks for the reply though.
Flat cables are BAD.
In-wall cabling can be bad.
Do you have the speed and duplex on ethernet port forced to 1 gigabit ? If so, set it back to auto. Your PC may be failing at gigabit, because of a wiring problem.

Jason21715

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017
Here is a how-to -- https://www.home-network-help.com/speed-and-duplex.html
You want to set it to AUTO for both speed and duplex.
Then if you get 100Mbit instead of gigabit you have a bad cable.
Hey, after a lot of testing, it was already set on auto. But I tried out different ethernet cables and tried to connect it directly to the router. Other people's ethernet works in the house. So I was thinking it's a problem within my pc. I tried to add an address in manually but my default gateway is blank. Do you have any ideas?

ajohnson30

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
check one of the working pcs ip addresses for the ip address, subnet mask, and gateway. Use the gateway ip as the dns ip. Assuming you're in a small house, add 50 or so to the last number and you should be safe (i.e. 192.168.1.100 - add 20 192.168.1.150) however there's no guarantees. Sometimes wifi and other things can still get in the way. You could try subtracting 50 also. Just don't use "1" or go beyond "254"

If this actually works, you should really figure out why and remove this configuration, either by trying the "netsh int ip reset" and "netsh winsock reset" commands again or find something else to fix it.

Jason21715

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017
check one of the working pcs ip addresses for the ip address, subnet mask, and gateway. Use the gateway ip as the dns ip. Assuming you're in a small house, add 50 or so to the last number and you should be safe (i.e. 192.168.1.100 - add 20 192.168.1.150) however there's no guarantees. Sometimes wifi and other things can still get in the way. You could try subtracting 50 also. Just don't use "1" or go beyond "254"

If this actually works, you should really figure out why and remove this configuration, either by trying the "netsh int ip reset" and "netsh winsock reset" commands again or find something else to fix it.
I tried it, and the problem still persists. Thanks for the idea though, I honestly wouldn't have thought of this.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey, after a lot of testing, it was already set on auto. But I tried out different ethernet cables and tried to connect it directly to the router. Other people's ethernet works in the house. So I was thinking it's a problem within my pc. I tried to add an address in manually but my default gateway is blank. Do you have any ideas?
If a short direct cable from the router doesn't work, then there may be a problem with your PC. I think you need to try booting a portable Linux OS and see if it is a hardware problem. If Linux works OK, then you have a software problem.

Jason21715

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017
If a short direct cable from the router doesn't work, then there may be a problem with your PC. I think you need to try booting a portable Linux OS and see if it is a hardware problem. If Linux works OK, then you have a software problem.
Hey, I just tried Ubuntu on my PC, and the internet still does not work. I even updated my Realtek drivers, and tried another router (same brand). Neither worked

You are at the point that it is highly likely there is some kind of hardware issue with the port. This is very similar to what a number of ethernet ports did when I had lightning strike near my house.
Luckily PCIE ethernet cards are fairly cheap. If you do not have a internal slot you can use a USB device but be sure to get USB3 or you won't get gigabit speeds.

Jason21715

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017
You are at the point that it is highly likely there is some kind of hardware issue with the port. This is very similar to what a number of ethernet ports did when I had lightning strike near my house.
Luckily PCIE ethernet cards are fairly cheap. If you do not have a internal slot you can use a USB device but be sure to get USB3 or you won't get gigabit speeds.
I don't think anything happened to the ethernet port, at least from what I can see. Also, my ethernet cable shows the green light if that means much. But my ethernet just randomly stopped working when I was playing games one night. Nevertheless, I'll buy an ethernet card just to test it out. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll update you on what happens.

Jason21715

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017
Hey everyone, I have tried
  • new network card that comes with a new ethernet port and updated drivers
  • updated bios / all drivers
  • reinstalled windows/safe mode
  • tried different routers (all green lights)
  • tried different cables
  • tried inputting similar ip, gateway, subnet with someone who has working ethernet

the only thing i haven't done is restarting the modem because other people are using it, which means it's working just fine, and shouldn't be the modem's problem.

at this point im running out of options, and getting super tired and i don't know how to fix it anymore, if someone could come up with more troubleshooting ideas or just ideas in general, it would help out a lot.