[SOLVED] Ethernet port not blinking anymore when comp is turned off

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014
Hello all,

So a couple of days ago my computer was behaving a bit weirdly. I wasn't even using it but noticed that I had lost connection to Discord. When I went to check it out, it said that I had no network connection at all.

I checked the System Events and saw a lot of these e1rexpress events

Images

I restarted the router and replaced the ethernet cord. I haven't gotten that burst of events since doing that, but now I noticed that when my computer is turned off, the ethernet port is not blinking like it normally does.

Also, in the system events, I can see that right when I start it up I still get that e1rexpress warning, followed by another event saying that a connection was found.

Any reason why it might be doing this? Any cause for concern?

Mobo: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
GPU: MSI GTX 3070
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2 NVME
PSU: 1000 Watt
Monitors: LG 27GL83A x2

Solution
Other than that does it work ok.

It depends on what you mean "turn off" the computer. Obviously if you use the power switch on the power supply you never get any lights on the motherboard. Any other form of "turn off" unfortantly does not have a real standard meaning. If you are putting the computer into a sleep mode rather than shutdown it will leave the ethernet port on. Still there are a number of option you should check. Some are in the bios and other are in microsoft power settings. One of the common ones that keep the ethernet port on even when you do a shutdown is called wake on lan. There are other power save options that can even turn the ethernet port off if it thinks it is idle.....not that I can think of a...

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014
Update: Not sure if this matters but I went and downloaded all the latest drivers for my mobo. Still looks like it's happening.

I also downloaded the intel network utility and ran a cable test and looks like some errors came up.

HUZfPg1.png

Not entirely sure what those mean, but I tested with multiple cables and it seems to only be happening on my main desktop.

It depends on what you mean "turn off" the computer. Obviously if you use the power switch on the power supply you never get any lights on the motherboard. Any other form of "turn off" unfortantly does not have a real standard meaning. If you are putting the computer into a sleep mode rather than shutdown it will leave the ethernet port on. Still there are a number of option you should check. Some are in the bios and other are in microsoft power settings. One of the common ones that keep the ethernet port on even when you do a shutdown is called wake on lan. There are other power save options that can even turn the ethernet port off if it thinks it is idle.....not that I can think of a situation where this would ever be true with all the auto loading of ad crap browser pages do.

I would leave a constant ping command run to your router IP. If you are not getting packet loss then there likley is no issue.

Solution

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014

It depends on what you mean "turn off" the computer. Obviously if you use the power switch on the power supply you never get any lights on the motherboard. Any other form of "turn off" unfortantly does not have a real standard meaning. If you are putting the computer into a sleep mode rather than shutdown it will leave the ethernet port on. Still there are a number of option you should check. Some are in the bios and other are in microsoft power settings. One of the common ones that keep the ethernet port on even when you do a shutdown is called wake on lan. There are other power save options that can even turn the ethernet port off if it thinks it is idle.....not that I can think of a situation where this would ever be true with all the auto loading of ad crap browser pages do.

I would leave a constant ping command run to your router IP. If you are not getting packet loss then there likley is no issue.

Yeah other than that it works fine. So I’m not TOO concerned, but just wanted to ask on here just in case it could be a potential issue in the future.

By turn off I basically mean the windows shut down option. I haven’t really messed with any other windows power settings, so not sure why it would all of a sudden stop blinking when shutting down the computer that way. I remember it doing it before, then after that one event it stopped doing it. Not sure if something changed because of that.

I actually remember checking the Ethernet device setting in device manager and the option for it to wake the computer up was still enabled.

I will try the ping command though and see how that goes. This is probably a dumb question but you’re saying I just need to ping the IP for my router and let it run right?

mudwub

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2014
Yes ping the router is the best test for network outages. It will also as a side effect prevent any idle power off settings. I leave a ping run to my router an 8.8.8.8 constantly just so if I get any glitch I can check if anything looks like it went down.

Ok sounds good. I’ll give that a whirl and see how it goes.

I also tried messing with some of the windows settings to see if I could get the Ethernet port light to come back on when doing a windows shut down. Nothing seems to work though.

I guess my biggest fear is that something is wrong with the mobo and I’d have to replace that. Hoping that’s not the case though since it seems to be working fine.