Question Ethernet port not working after unplugging then replugging

badeed

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
My motherboard is MSI Z170A M7 gaming motherboard 2016 bought

I was on a tech call about internet speed, the guy on the phone told me to try plugging on directly to router. However, my ethernet port stopped recognizing all cables.

I tried different methods to
Network reset.
Different cable
Try different cable on another computer worked
Update drivers
Get newest drivers
Uninstall drivers and reinstall
Cmd netsh reset and web socket reset and flushing DNS
I really don't know how to do...
I am a college student, my classes are online I am at McDonald's atm lol for wifi across the street.
What I found online is buy a new network card.
I can't afford one atm.

The troubleshooting on windows says it thinks my ethernet cable is broken or a telephone cable.
I tried unplugging it and testing again
It still thinks there is a cable inside that is broken or telephone

Any possible fix can help. Even if I have to mess with the port. Please and thank you ❣️

Lutfij

Titan
Are you on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard? What is the make and model of your PSU? What OS version are you on, assuming you're on Windows 10? You might want to try and first reinstall your chipset drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator and then try and reinstall the Ethernet port's driver(in an elevated command as well).

You should also inspect the Ethernet port for signs of broken pins or perhaps the pins might be bent. Yes there are instances where people damaged their Ethernet ports by not plugging it the right way.

badeed

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
so...
i was able to fix it and not sure how really lol
i removed the cmos battery removed the ram removed the graphic card replaced the PSU
tested didnt work.
decided to mess with the port a little bit. i soldered it off :p. then oldered back on, it worked.
so i am not sure which really worked. but thats everything i did