Question Ethernet stopped working after thunderstorm

Nov 29, 2021
So tonight there was a really big thunderstorm and our house got hit in some way bcs i had to reset cmos to get my pc to boot. And a did a beginner mistake: i left everything plugged-in. Now my ethernet doesn't work. It works for the other pcs in the house. I have a Wifi adapter but its really bad so i want to use ethernet. Is the motherboard the problem?

USAFRet

Titan
So tonight there was a really big thunderstorm and our house got hit in some way bcs i had to reset cmos to get my pc to boot. And a did a beginner mistake: i left everything plugged-in. Now my ethernet doesn't work. It works for the other pcs in the house. I have a Wifi adapter but its really bad so i want to use ethernet. Is the motherboard the problem?
It could be the port on the motherboard, it could be the port on the router.

Couple years ago, I had the same issue.

Motherboard port got zapped, along with other things, some of them not plugged in at all.
Electricity finds strange pathways.

Solution - A $15 PCIe ethernet adapter. All was right in the universe.

Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-1000Mbps-Gigabit-Ethernet-supported/dp/B003CFATNI

Reactions: johanpeter123

RealBeast

Titan
I live in an area with lots of thunderstorms and frequently have to replace the Ethernet adapters, I keep a stockpile of them since it happens so often. It is the most likely component to fail from a nearby strike in my experience. If the motherboard port lights are out, I would recommend an Intel gigabit adapter (Intel EXPI9301CT Gigabit CT PCI-e Desktop Adapter) $23 on EBay new.