[SOLVED] Ethernet super slow... thinking it's my new MOBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackkeys1098

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2016
I just upgraded my cpu and mobo - did a fresh windows 10 install and everything's running great except the ethernet speeds are slow on the exact same ISP/internet delivery.

For instance, my steam game downloads peak at 4mb/s but average at about 1.2mb/s where as they used to be 8-10.

It sounds like my new mobo is known for ethernet issues but I wanted to ask the forum.

Swapped out my ASUS Z170 pro gaming for an ASUS tuf gaming B550M-Plus with wifi

I'm trying to find a specific ethernet driver but my systems tell me I'm up to date.

Does anybody here have a suggestion?

UPDATE: I switched off my express vpn and the download jumped from a consistent 1.5mb/s to 4. Historically, express hasn't bottlenecked me more than 10% since I got it a year ago.

4mb/s is still slow though IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: Enrique Sanchez

Colif

Win 11 Master
download Win10 Auto Installation Program (NDIS) from under windows header here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software
that is latest LAN driver since Asus hasn't updated theirs since July but Realtek have released newer drivers.
the wifi drivers on Asus site appear new, I don't think Intel released any since.

Windows may have installed the realtek ones but they only from end of December, I have my doubts.

blackkeys1098

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2016
download Win10 Auto Installation Program (NDIS) from under windows header here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software
that is latest LAN driver since Asus hasn't updated theirs since July but Realtek have released newer drivers.
the wifi drivers on Asus site appear new, I don't think Intel released any since.

Windows may have installed the realtek ones but they only from end of December, I have my doubts.

That helped a bit but now I'm thinking my vpn is part of the problem. Without it I'm downloading at 6mb/s and with it i'm at 3mb/s. Usually I don't notice a slowdown with express vpn but now it's horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.