Ethernet sw end doesnt and router end does connect

leeotron_60

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
I've connected a cable modem to a Ethernet switch and connected 1 laptop there
then to a wireless router with another laptop connected there.
The computer connected to the router Internet connection is great but no internet connectivity with the computer connected to the Ethernet switch. I've done this in the past with no problems.
How can i get the fist computer to connect that is connected to the ethernet switch?

RealBeast

Titan
Connect the Ethernet switch after the router. If you connect it before, the router will only obtain an IP address when the laptop connected to the switch is off and you reset the router, unless your ISP provides more than 1 IP address, which is unusual for residential customers.

So: Router LAN port --> switch --> laptop and other devices

Your single WAN (ISP provided) IP address will then be shared through the router to all devices attached to it wired or wireless (assuming it has wireless).

leeotron_60

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
First I thank all at Tom's Hardware, for sharing your knowledge

Original Objective: to get internet access at 1st location for 1 laptop using its LAN connection and at a second location for 3 Laptops, 1 HP Wireless Printer and WiFi Access for other android devices

Networking Hardware: 1 Cable Modem & 1 - 5 port 10/100 ethernet switch at first location. 1 Netgear WGR614v8 54 mbps router at second location.

Environment: 2 mobile Homes with Metallic exterior and Roof 120 linear feet apart, ran approx. 170' Cat5E and crimped RJ45's at each end
Connections: Cable Modem--> Switch--> 1st Laptop (WinXP Both Location Laptops)
Switch--> 170' cat 5E -->Netgear WGR614v8 Router --> second laptop --> Wifi access for Devices
Results: 2nd location full WAN / LAN connectivity. 1st Location laptop had no connectivity using LAN port.
Analysis-1st location laptop: opened network connections, had bridged connection connected, LAN Connected 100 mbps, 1394 Connected 400 mbps, couldn't get internet connection with these settings but someone did prior to this.
tried disabling the bridge, no connectivity and may I comment, Ive never observed these settings before. "strange"
Disabled LAN until had time to check settings, Enabled Wifi on 1st location laptop and moved the netgear router and then had connectivity VIA wifi.

Obtained a Linksis DIR-605L Router
Connections: Cable Modem --> Switch --> Netgear router Internet port--> Wifi Connectivity to 1st location
Switch --> 170' Run CAT5E --> D-link DIR-605L Router Internet port --> second Laptop LAN-->
Wifi for other devices.

Results: Had Connectivity AT 1 or the Other Location Not both At the same time, (message) IP conflict...
Got connectivity back at second location... My location. Modem --> Linksis router... rebooted modem
Googled.... 1 Cable Modem 2 Routers, which brought me back to this website.....

Found this answer which I used, In Part, to solve my issues........

Devices: cable modem --> linksis router --> Belkin Router
connect a computer to the belkin and log in.
setup the wireless security and save the settings
change the LAN IP to 192.168.0.1
change the WAN setting to Static and assign it IP 192.168.1.253, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway and DNS server 192.168.1.1 Save the settings
now log into the Linksys and assign 192.168.1.253 to the DMZ and save the setting
then connect a network cable from the Linksys LAN port to the WAN/Internet port of the Belkin.
putting the Belkin into the DMZ will be the same then connecting it directly to the modem, none of the Linksys security settings will apply to the Belkin

After Reading the Above Answer...

Set up WAN security on both routers.....

I logged on to My Netgear WGR614v8 Router. Navigated to the DMZ settings page, assign 192.168.1.253 to the DMZ and saved the setting.
Connections: Cable modem --> Netgear WGR614v8 Router Internet port --> Netgear WGR614v8 Router LAN Port --> D-link DIR-605L Router Internet port
I didn't change the LAN IP or Wan setting on the D-Link router yet
Rebooted cable modem,
Had WAN connectivity at 1st location and Both WAN & LAN connectivity at the second location with no more conflicts,
I take it that the D-link is Obtaining its Network Addresses from the Netgear just like it would from just being connected to the modem for I have full network connectivity and functionality with these settings....

But I still have to restore the 1st location's WIN XP laptop LAN connectivity, has any one seen that type of set up and why? I know it worked with those settings at one time , how I don't Know.

RealBeast

Titan
That information is much more helpful. Do you want to use two separate subnets so that they simply share Internet and no files or printers?

My preference would be to connect the Netgear WGR614v8 Router to the modem, connect the XP machine to a wired port of the Netgear, then run a CAT5e line from one of the other LAN ports on the Netgear DLink 605. At that point you have two options; if you want a single network where the XP machine can see the whole network, set the DLink up as a wireless AP, attaching to an LAN port on the DLink (give it a static or reserved dynamic address like 192.168.0.2, turn off DHCP, use the same SSID and security key as the Netgear, but a different radio channel -- use two of channels 1,6,11 -- a different one for each radio to avoid overlap interference). Then the Netgear will control the whole network and the DLink will be a wireless AP with a few wired ports. The switch can attach to either device at an LAN port to provide more Ethernet ports where you need them.

If you want two distinct networks, connect from an LAN port on the Netgear to the WAN port on the DLink and use a 192.168.1.1 address for the DLink making it a distinct subnet, like this: http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html Here is a picture of that set up: http://www.ezlan.net/network/shield.jpg

Which do you actually want, i.e. one network or two isolated subnets?