Mar 11, 2021
So i don't know what else can i do.

I have a medium-ish pc, with a core i5-7500 processor, an rx 570 graphics card, 16 GB of RAM, one SSD for the system only, another one for games and programs and an old trusty hard drive for everything else.
Firstly, i reinstalled the system and updated all the drivers i could, thought this could help in the matter. But it didn't.

Whenever i open a video (no matter how big the file is), it hardly starts, freezes every 5 seconds, then sometimes it runs for half an hour normally, then freezes again, and im going nuts.
Watching a one and a half hour movie takes like 3-4 hours. It's like that Chuck Norris joke...but backwards..
Also when these freezes occure, the system slows down too, and if i let's say right click on a file, the windows explorer kinda crashes, and i can't do anything.
It comes back tho, after a minute or so.

So i read a bunch of articles, and started changing the settings inside the video player, but of course, they didn't work. Tried out a lot of solutions, suffering for hours to get it done, but i'm still having this problem after many months.
Also tried severel video players (i mainly used vlc before) but that didn't solve the problem either.

What else can i do?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021
the video on the hdd? where the video from? what format? what encode?

how full are the ssd?

It's on the ssd, but i've tried it on every drive i had, and non of them are even half full. I take care about not to pack them fully.
Also it's not just one video. Let it be mkv, avi, mp4 anything with any encoding produces the same issue.... :(

Mar 11, 2021
monitor connect to the gpu?

cpu/gpu temp during the video?

brand and model of the psu?
Yes, it's connected to the gpu. The temp is around 40° and i just reapplied the thermal paste for my processor (mx-4), so that part is fine.
Gpu usage is not that high, so the temperature is not really moving from the base.

The psu is a Thermaltake 450W Litepower GEN2, hasn't failed me yet. Many would say, that 450W might not be enough, but actually, it's perfectly okay with the parts i have.

Mar 11, 2021
hardware look ok.
malware scan the system?
do a fresh os install?
That's what i did first, installed a new os , but everything stayed the same.
I also run a full malware scan before, and after reinstalling the os, but neither time showed any trouble.

side note: in the near past i upgraded my 1050 Ti to the RX 570, but everything stayed the same regarding to watching something on media players, so i guess the new GPU is not the problem here.
Also if i watch youtube, or my gf watches some tv series online, the problem does not occure.

Last edited: