Question EVGA SuperNOVA 650w G5 for $70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haaris.hasan03

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
So I'm probably about to buy a 5700XT near Black Friday, but I have to upgrade my power supply first. I have an EVGA 500w 80+ bronze unit, and I'm looking to get a fully modular 500-700w 80+ gold unit as an upgrade. I was originally going to wait until Black Friday and buy the GPU and the PSU together, but I found a deal that I'm a little skeptical about. The EVGA SuperNOVA 650w G5 (https://www.newegg.com/evga-superno...1-650w/p/N82E16817438163?Item=N82E16817438163 ) is on sale from $130 to $90 and there's a $20 mail-in rebate. It has all the features I want, but I've read a little bit about it and apparently it doesn't have the same cooling as the other units in the G series, so I'm not sure if it's that reliable. If it is a reliable PSU, I'll probably pick it up because 70 dollars for a unit like this is a really good deal, and I don't think I'll find one as good as this one even on Black Friday. Just wondering if it's worth picking up. Thanks.

The G5 is a POS. It's not even built by Super Flower. Avoid it. This is for the 750w model, but the OEM is the same as is the platform. Serious step off the platform for EVGA.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-750-g5-power-supply,6344.html

Read this:

It's garbage. 10 year warranty or not. You'll need it. Aris and other reviewers have specifically said to avoid this unit, and they've never said that about any of the G series units before, not even the G1 NEX units.

This would be a MUCH better option.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $74.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-15 01:40 EST-0500

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
It's garbage. 10 year warranty or not. You'll need it. Aris and other reviewers have specifically said to avoid this unit, and they've never said that about any of the G series units before, not even the G1 NEX units.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-50/

Tier B - Recommended for entry level gaming systems only, preferably single PCI-e power connection on GPU, desktops intended for prolonged 24/7 usage.
EVGA B2 - G5 <1000w - GD 2019

Tier D - Potentially dangerous, but only in specific situations
EVGA W1 - BT - G3 - G5 1000w

:unsure:

Linus usually is pretty harsh on rankings when compared to everywhere else.

Apr 4, 2019

its not created by Linus (unless you are reffering to lienus), but the G5 below 1000w doesnt have any serious issues that warrants it from being dropped to D tier.

if you get it cheap, the G5 isnt a bad deal. other PSUs to look at in that price catogory would be the Bitfenix Whisper M 550w, Formula Gold 550w, Pure Power 11 600w, Straight Power 11 550w or TX550m. those are the ones i can recall from the top of my head.

Apr 4, 2019
It's garbage. 10 year warranty or not. You'll need it.

with the exception of the 1000w units. the G5 appears to be a perfectly fine unit.

if you have a reason for it being garbage. please link the info, it would be an interesting read. its not perfect by any stretch and a CX (2017) would be a neater pickup

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-50/

Tier B - Recommended for entry level gaming systems only, preferably single PCI-e power connection on GPU, desktops intended for prolonged 24/7 usage.
EVGA B2 - G5 <1000w - GD 2019

Tier D - Potentially dangerous, but only in specific situations
EVGA W1 - BT - G3 - G5 1000w

:unsure:

Linus has literally nothing to do with that list. And I would take anything he says with a huge grain of salt anyhow because he's mainly a very good marketing guru. He's literally the original "hardware shill".

Reactions: Lutfij
with the exception of the 1000w units. the G5 appears to be a perfectly fine unit.

if you have a reason for it being garbage. please link the info, it would be an interesting read. its not perfect by any stretch and a CX (2017) would be a neater pickup

I linked the info already. I can't help it if you have failed to visit the link and read the reviews. Aris, who is probably THE authority in the world on ATX power supplies, says they are junk. So they are junk.

I don't approve the use of an ACRF topology (you will find more details on this topology by following this link) in this category, from the moment the competition uses superior designs featuring half-bridge (Corsair RM750x and RM750) and full-bridge topologies (Seasonic Focus Plus Gold). This topology is only suitable for budget PSUs, since it requires fewer components of lower cost and it lowers the capacity requirements of the bulk cap, which is among the most expensive parts in a power supply. The 750 G5 uses quality components, and its build quality is high, but its design doesn't allow it to effectively meet the competition in the 750W category. The transient response is one of the most important factors in a PSU's performance since it depicts its operation under real-life conditions where the loads are dynamic and not static. In such scenarios, the G5 cannot keep the +12V deviations within 1%, and the 3.3V rail's transient response is terrible. So although the 750 G5 has tight load regulation and good enough ripple suppression along with a long hold-up time, still it cannot meet the overall performance of any of the aforementioned models.

Super Flower's Leadex II platform, used in the all G3 models, is still a great performer but because of tariff considerations, that line is on the way out. If you want a high-performance PSU, you should try to get one of the G3 models that are still available in the stores. Till the G3 stock clears out, there is no point in preferring a G5 unit. Even when all G3s are gone, there are better options than the G5 (e.g., the Corsair RMx and Seasonic Focus Plus Gold models). Hopefully, EVGA will push FSP to use a different platform in an upcoming G line, or even better Super Flower will move some of its production out of China, and we will see again a Leadex-based G line.

• Noisy
  • Poor transient response
  • High Vampire Power
  • Low efficiency with 2% load
  • Not compatible with the alternative sleep mode
  • Small distance between connectors

Not sure what else you need to see to think a unit is a poor choice, but it sure as hell doesn't line up with the kind of performance seen on the G2 or G3, or even the GQ. Or honestly, even the G1 NEX units would probably be a better choice and I never recommend those. They are just not good, much like the Seasonic S12III units made by RSY are not good.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
much like the Seasonic S12III units made by RSY are not good.
just for my info, what's exactly wrong with them? except for them being double mag amp, which is pretty inefficient i don't see what would completely ruin it, as part of the production of Seasonic on the lower end has been going to RSY for years now.

G5 is a modified Be Quiet powerzone, excluding the 1000w it's certainly a step down, but writing it off as garbage sounds a bit extreme. from what i can read from Aris here is that it's a step down, not a trash unit, but feel free to note me anything i missed

I'll tell you EXACTLY why, because it's made by RSY, the same company that EVGA outsourced the B3 units to, and ALL of those BLEW UP in Aris testing. It was not just his testing either. They were HORRIFIC, to the point that EVGA brought the manufacturing back in house and from what I understand, discontinued their relationship with RSY. Why in the world Seasonic then decided to outsource to them after a fiasco like that is beyond me. Maybe JonnyGuru knows, he has a lot more information on THAT side of things, working IN the industry for Corsair, than any of us do.

All I know is that every power supply I've ever been exposed to that was built by RSY had problems, and until I see a trustworthy, REPUTABLE review saying otherwise, they are on the naughty list.

Reactions: King_V

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
they are on the naughty list.
then i'll inform you, as far as i'm aware both Seasonic and SuperFlower outsource part of their production off to RSY. the problem is that there's nothing wrong with S12iii, so you're in my opinion assuming something that isn't there. and even B3 has since been fixed according to EVGA. If we were to write off every oem that made something bad, you'd have nothing left

CWT made the TR2
HEC made the N1
Acbel made the elite
Delta made units on oem machines that would sometimes fail catastrophically
FSP has made some quite cheap units

and so on, i agree there's better out there than the S12iii, especially for the price (System Power 9, CX(m) and so on are generally similarly priced), but calling it straight up crap without any reason except for it being from a certain company is a bit over the top in my eyes

edit: i've actually heard a friend of mine requesting it, but got declined because his website is still in the works, and i can't do testing on it myself... maybe look kindly at aris some day?

this is the only review i've found, which is rather minor
https://aphnetworks.com/reports/seasonic-s12iii-500w

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019
All I know is that every power supply I've ever been exposed to that was built by RSY had problems, and until I see a trustworthy, REPUTABLE review saying otherwise, they are on the naughty list.

so you are judging the PSU based on personal opinion regarding the company that makes it? and not the unit itself which is a decent very budget unit.

Not sure what else you need to see to think a unit is a poor choice, but it sure as hell doesn't line up with the kind of performance seen on the G2 or G3, or even the GQ. Or honestly, even the G1 NEX units would probably be a better choice and I never recommend those.

so its not garbage, its just not as good as the competition at a given pricepoint.........

They are just not good, much like the Seasonic S12III units made by RSY are not good

so you have a bias against it due to it being made by RSY? because its very much sounds like it every time you mention the G5 or S12iii.

Edit: yes the G5 isnt RSY, but ita moved from SF to FSP which you do not seem a fan of at all

Last edited:

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Here is the G5 review from Tom's and it was not highly rated.....
again, I'm aware of the switch to fsp, and that this is more a budget platform than anything else, so don't get me wrong here, evga can do so much better

but i know there are reasons for their breakup with SF and they kinda had to. something based off Hydro x/g would've been much more worthy.

I'm just saying it's unfair to completely write off, except for the 1000w, where i can agree on

Reactions: GoldenLag
Apr 4, 2019
I have to agree with Darkbreeze. The EVGA G5 unit changed manufacturer as opposed to the original G2 and G3 which were stand out PSU's and very highly rated. If you can find a G2 or G3 even better.

Here is the G5 review from Tom's and it was not highly rated.....
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/evga-supernova-750-g5-power-supply,6344.html

There is nothing in that review that says its garbage either. Just that its not as good as the G2 or G3 (even tho the G3 has issues).

The G5 below 1000w does not deserve to be written off. And it changing manufacturer doesnt mean the unit is bad

haaris.hasan03

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
Regarding if I should even get this unit or not, I don't think I'm comfortable buying the G5 if there is so much controversy around it. And that GQ unit that Darkbreeze linked also looks like a steal and is pretty highly rated. It's only semi modular, but that's still an upgrade from my non-modular unit. Thanks for the replies everyone.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Linus has literally nothing to do with that list. And I would take anything he says with a huge grain of salt anyhow because he's mainly a very good marketing guru. He's literally the original "hardware shill".

I'm aware of that, I was referring to the community and not a single person. That list is maintained by a handful of people like yourself simular to how it use to be done here. The question is what makes you more of a expert over the agreement of several? It takes an aggravating amount of time to keep those tier list going and requires everyone to be objective and pool their opinions then decide what goes where.

Now as far as the G5 650W, 750W, 850W fully in-depth reviews are limited and I don't pass judgment from just one source, I prefer to stay open-minded until a community decision has been decided which anyone who gives advice should consider.

eTeknix EVGA SuperNova 850 G5 Power Supply Review
nikktech EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5 Power Supply Unit Review
Tom's EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5 Power Supply Review

What do all of these agree on?

• Quality components
  • High build quality
  • Good metrics ratings
  • Accurate efficacy

What do these disagree on?
  • Fan profile speed and noise
For a typical budget minded builder that is looking at something to run a single GPU and 50% to 60% load, these look very attractive for the discounted prices "$70,$80,$90" and that long warranty means EVGA pigeon-holed themselves into backing the quality. Are these the best units you can find? No, are they the worst? also no.

Reactions: GoldenLag
Sorry, I did not MEAN to say "EVGA" above. I meant to say Super Flower, since obviously that is who designs and builds (Well, traditionally anyway) those units for EVGA. Obviously that isn't the case anymore. As far as the rest of this conversation goes, I think we are far beyond the OPs needs now, so if you want to continue it I'd suggest you take it to the PSU discussion page and we'll let this post alone from further discourse that isn't actually specifically relevant to the topic or needs of the OP. Getting into the industry and platform side of things is rarely ever helpful to somebody just looking for a good reliable PSU. Nor do they usually even CARE about all that.

I'm aware of that, I was referring to the community and not a single person. That list is maintained by a handful of people like yourself simular to how it use to be done here. The question is what makes you more of a expert over the agreement of several? It takes an aggravating amount of time to keep those tier list going and requires everyone to be objective and pool their opinions then decide what goes where.

I can answer that. I post on the Linus forum also.

Let's start with the fact that the list is just one guy. He likes to pretend it's a group effort, but he makes all the decisions and just ignores anything he doesn't want to hear.

His "work" a bizarre amalgam of Cut and paste, group think, and check lists, all done rather poorly. He sounds knowledgeable at first glance, but extended discussions with him expose a shocking inability to property resolve even basic psu questions.

The list of knowledgeable people who criticize the list goes well beyond Dark Breeze and myself. Even the few knowledgeable Linus posters are critical of it. The maintainer just ignores any criticism. When your work is that bad, you can't afford to ignore knowledgeable input.

Apr 4, 2019
The maintainer just ignores any criticism.

plain false, critisism is regularly taken in for consideration. all revisions up untill now have been addressing those things.

Let's start with the fact that the list is just one guy.

oh boy, no its not. you might think so, but i can remember 4 mainstayers together with luke + people who drop in and out. and people who check for spelling and other errors if there are any.

Even the few knowledgeable Linus posters are critical of it.

most of those are critical of the idea of a list, tho most are neutral or like it for its usefulness.

His "work" a bizarre amalgam of Cut and paste, group think, and check lists, all done rather poorly.

we would love to address more issues that you have with the list, but when confronted with a want for such suggestions you flat out refuse to help or give pointers. you have mostly been complaining about 1 PSU placement vocally, but the unit fails the requirements for a higher placement

Oct 1, 2019
I linked the info already. I can't help it if you have failed to visit the link and read the reviews. Aris, who is probably THE authority in the world on ATX power supplies, says they are junk. So they are junk.
When did he say they are junk? He said they're not good for the price, that's all...

PCPartPicker Part List

Not really. For one, both the GQ and G5 are FSP Active Clamp platforms, so they have some similarity. Active Clamp PSUs by nature are low end, even CX with an LLC resonant primary would outclass the GQ.

Here's a MUCH better quality PSU compared to the GQ, and you don't have to deal with MIR:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16817376007?Description=whisper m 550&cm_re=whisper_m_550--17-376-007--Product

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Funny, because that Whisper M scored an 8.9 on JG, while the GQ scored a 9.4. I think you are basing your bias on the review of the 750w model, and the 650w model which I recommended has a totally different platform than the 750w and 850w models of the GQ.
this is why i find JG's scoring a bit... weird sometimes

as GQ is internally a downgraded be quiet pure power 11 (at the time a custom, as about all BQ's are for some reason), while the whisper is a CWT GPU, one of the highest end platforms CWT has.

I'd personally say whisper>gq

a couple reviews of whisper that does include a bit more testing
https://tweakers.net/productreview/162493/bitfenix-whisper-bwg450m.html (the mask)
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bitfenix-whisper-series-550w-psu,4805.html (aris)

especially the review from aris is more complete, as it includes a lot more protection testing

Yeah, this is why you guys don't "get it". It's not a question of "GQ", it's a question of WHICH GQ? As I said, there are multiple platforms in play depending on the model. The GQ 650w has a completely different platform than the 850w model, and I'd assume the 750w model as well since most these companies use the same platforms for their 550-650w models and then a different platform, usually, for the 750-850w models. It is NO different than the M12II 520/620 which uses the same platform but then the M12II-750 or 850 are completely different, and are not group regulated. In the review I linked to he specifically spells that out that it is a different platform altogether.

And once again, for the last time, if you guys want to have an in depth discussion about the inner workings of any specific power supply or PSU platform, that can be done in the discussion thread, rather than in some poor OP's thread that really doesn't want to hear it all.

@haaris.hasan03 , if you want the thread reopened please PM me. For now, I am closing it because this is way off the track of where it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.