[SOLVED] Experiencing cuts in internet connectivity after installing new router ?

Mar 5, 2023
I recently got a new router from Verizon (model no. CR1000A ) and am experiencing some strange drops in internet connectivity that I wasn't before, but ONLY on my desktop PC. To be specific, the internet on my desktop functions mostly normal (tested separately with both wifi and ethernet) but is occasionally not responding. Websites get hung when trying to load pretty often, but refreshing resolves the issue usually within 30 seconds. Then 2 minutes later it gets hung up again (especially annoying while watching youtube as the video constantly buffers).

My desktop PC is connected via Cat5E directly to the router. Initially, I thought it might be the Ethernet cable but now I think the problem is with my PC but don't have the technical knowledge to diagnose/fix it.
I did some speed tests, here are the results:

*all tests done using MLab using the same server testing each one 5 times and getting averages

Desktop PC Ethernet ~34Mbps(Down) / ~.98Mbps (Up) **While doing this test it dropped to 0 a few times and the server was unreachable
Desktop PC Wifi ~24Mbps / ~33Mbps
Desktop PC Alternate Ethernet Cable ~34Mbps / ~.80Mbps **Experienced the same issue as above with the original ethernet cable

Laptop (same room as Desktop) Ethernet ~100Mbps / ~105Mbps
Laptop Wifi ~99Mbps / ~105Mbps

So it seems to be a problem with my PC, but surely it's not a coincidence that these issues arose the moment we got a new router? Can any tech savvy folks out there help me out?

Solution
Try to disable ipv6 but it may not do much since mlabs site is ipv4 only. IPv6 is a common issue with many other sites.

I see you once had a VPN active. I really hate these clients because they mess things up many times and do not even uninstall cleanly. Unfortantly you sometimes must reinstall windows to fully get rid of them. I would not try that unless you are desperate.

If IPERF is to hard just try a file copy from another machine on your network. With the extremely slow rates you are seeing it should be obvious if it is faster buy you can see the speeds in the network tab of the resource manager
So I assume your internet connection is suppose to be 100 down 100 up ?

My guess would be the network IP changed when you got a new router and microsoft setup new interfaces and messed something up. Hard to say there is so much garbage in windows now days.

Maybe it is web browser relate. You could try simple files copies between your laptop and pc and see what rates you get. You could also try a much simpler tool called IPERF which is a old line mode command that will test without being impacted by disk/memory or cpu. It is very simple tool that only tests the network interfaces and the drivers. You should see 900mbps+ in both directions.

There is also the possibility it is some stupid "gamer" network software. Look for anything that give certain types of traffic priority or QoS. This comes in the bloatware bundled with many motherboards and video cards. A very common name is CFOSspeed.

Mar 5, 2023
So I assume your internet connection is suppose to be 100 down 100 up ?

My guess would be the network IP changed when you got a new router and microsoft setup new interfaces and messed something up. Hard to say there is so much garbage in windows now days.

Maybe it is web browser relate. You could try simple files copies between your laptop and pc and see what rates you get. You could also try a much simpler tool called IPERF which is a old line mode command that will test without being impacted by disk/memory or cpu. It is very simple tool that only tests the network interfaces and the drivers. You should see 900mbps+ in both directions.

There is also the possibility it is some stupid "gamer" network software. Look for anything that give certain types of traffic priority or QoS. This comes in the bloatware bundled with many motherboards and video cards. A very common name is CFOSspeed.
Yes my connection is 100down/up. I tried running IPERF but I'm out of my element here and have no idea what to look for. I don't see any QoS software anywhere either. I've also tried using another browser. I normally use Firefox but started using Chrome. Interestingly chrome seems to be having these issues less than Firefox but they are still present.

Mar 5, 2023
Run "ipconfig /all" without quotes via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

image.png
image.png

Try to disable ipv6 but it may not do much since mlabs site is ipv4 only. IPv6 is a common issue with many other sites.

I see you once had a VPN active. I really hate these clients because they mess things up many times and do not even uninstall cleanly. Unfortantly you sometimes must reinstall windows to fully get rid of them. I would not try that unless you are desperate.

If IPERF is to hard just try a file copy from another machine on your network. With the extremely slow rates you are seeing it should be obvious if it is faster buy you can see the speeds in the network tab of the resource manager

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
It also appears, according to your "ipconfig /all" post you may have two network adapters enabled.

Not sure about that break in the post: Is that entire "ipconfig /all" from your desktop?

Only one network adapter, either wired or wireless, should be enabled. Not two network adapters, of any type, at the same time.

Mar 5, 2023

Well, it seems disabling IPv6 has worked. It's been a few hours and I haven't had any disconnects and the like. Thank you all for your suggestions and help!

Reactions: Ralston18