Explorer Search (Doesn't)

I'm using XP Home and have a minor problem with an old Outlook Calendar
not working suddenly -- it complains about the MAPI32.DLL file. While
tracking down my problem I found something much more insidious though.

Doing the normal Explorer Search for the file name it came up with
variants on the name in various application folders but not the exact
file name. Ok, I copied the file from the Outlook installation disk and
went to put it into the Windows\System32 subdirectory where it belongs
and was surprised to see that a file by that name is already there.
It's got the wrong date and has been modified, but the point is that a
file is there and the Windows Search function couldn't find it.

Hmmm... After putzing around some more I discover that the Search
function can't find *any* file in that subdirectory. Looking at the
properties I can see nothing that would prevent Search from working. In
fact the box is checked that says "For fast searching, allow Indexing
Service to index this folder" as it also is for the parent directory
"Windows".

Just for grins I also tried turning off the fast searching for that
subdirectory, but it made no difference.

Is there some reason that XP is not supposed to be able to search for
file names in that directory? Or have I inadvertently configured it to
not search there? Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Bill

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)"
<wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net> wrote in message
> I'm using XP Home and have a minor problem with an old Outlook
> Calendar not working suddenly -- it complains about the MAPI32.DLL
> file. While tracking down my problem I found something much more
> insidious though.
>
> Doing the normal Explorer Search for the file name it came up with
> variants on the name in various application folders but not the exact
> file name. Ok, I copied the file from the Outlook installation disk
> and went to put it into the Windows\System32 subdirectory where it
> belongs and was surprised to see that a file by that name is already
> there. It's got the wrong date and has been modified, but the point
> is that a file is there and the Windows Search function couldn't find
> it.
>
> Hmmm... After putzing around some more I discover that the Search
> function can't find *any* file in that subdirectory. Looking at the
> properties I can see nothing that would prevent Search from working.
> In fact the box is checked that says "For fast searching, allow
> Indexing Service to index this folder" as it also is for the parent
> directory "Windows".
>
> Just for grins I also tried turning off the fast searching for that
> subdirectory, but it made no difference.
>
> Is there some reason that XP is not supposed to be able to search for
> file names in that directory? Or have I inadvertently configured it
> to not search there? Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Bill

What size is MAPI32.DLL?
Are these two files present and what is their size
MAPISTUB.DLL & MAPI32X.dll?
Are you also using Outlook Express?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> What size is MAPI32.DLL?
> Are these two files present and what is their size
> MAPISTUB.DLL & MAPI32X.dll?
> Are you also using Outlook Express?

In answer to your questions:

1) The MAPI32.DLL which I have now after restoring it from another
machine is 714KB. The file which was there when I wrote my original
post was 7KB.

2) MAPISTUB.DLL is present and 110KB. MAPI32x.dll is also present and
714KB. Both in the Windows\System32 subdirectory.

3) I used to use OE, but a month or so ago switched over to Thunderbird.

My major concern when I wrote the original post was that the XP Windows
Explorer could not find anything within the System32 subdirectory with
its Search function. Somehow it seems to spontaneously work again so
that problem is apparently resolved. For the moment at least Search
works everywhere on the disk.

The lesser concern which led me into all this was that the Outlook
Calendar does not work anymore and was complaining about the MAPI32.DLL
file. The Calendar still does not work, but doesn't complain about the
MAPI32 anymore -- it just crashes silently now. I'm ready to can
Outlook Calendar anyhow. The only solution I've found is to reload the
Outlook package and trash my calendar data. If I'm going to do that I
may as well move to another program anyhow since I don't use anything
else in Outlook. I haven't taken the time to search out another
calendar yet, but there are probably thousands out there.

So I guess that my problems are now resolved in a manner of speaking.

Bill