cannond1396

Reputable
Aug 15, 2018
To save me time, I like to be able to look through my list of apps at my current checkpoint before I perform a reinstall of Windows. I already backed up most of my files, such as my saved documents and important data, onto my external hard drive. I've already created my Windows ISO on my thumb drive. I wondered if there is any software app out there that I can download and export all of my installed programs and games that are currently installed on my computer and have a quick glance at my list of apps instead of viewing it alphabetically or sorting by installed date. I like to categorize or sort my apps by file types, such as Games, AMD Software and Drivers, Microsoft Apps, Steam Games, Oculus Games, Video Players, Music Players, Editing Software, Social Apps, etc.; you get the point.

Upon researching this topic on the web, I found this nice list of ways to export installed programs here https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/generate-a-list-of-installed-programs-in-windows/. My favorite is NirSoft UninstallView. It only exports it alphabetically just like in Control Panel uninstall list.

Now, Ninite is a handy app for installing multiple apps without surfing the web to download them individually. https://ninite.com/. Just like what I explained above, I want to be able to export my apps and have it sorted into its own category just like what Ninite does except backward if you get what I mean.

Hope anybody out there has any suggestions.

Solution
I wondered if there is any software app out there that I can download and export all of my installed programs
Sadly, no.
When a Windows application is installed, it makes hundreds of entries in the Registry and elsewhere.

You can't just move that to a new OS install.
Is this a new system or a reinstall on this same system?

Games such as on Stem, are relatively easy to move.
Find the commonapps in the Steam folder. You can copy/paste that to a new location within the new install.
Then, tell the NEW Steam client where they are.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games...
The simple answer is: NO. When it comes to software that you, the software company goes to great lengths to hide the method of saving the key that prove that the app are in fact paid for.

A workaround for this - for most open source programs at least - you can use the portableapp package version of that program. It is designed in such a way that the programs can be carried around on a usb stick, and all settings are store in the same directory as the program files are located.
But there is no reason to not put it on a local hdd.

USAFRet

Titan
I wondered if there is any software app out there that I can download and export all of my installed programs
Sadly, no.
When a Windows application is installed, it makes hundreds of entries in the Registry and elsewhere.

You can't just move that to a new OS install.
Is this a new system or a reinstall on this same system?

Games such as on Stem, are relatively easy to move.
Find the commonapps in the Steam folder. You can copy/paste that to a new location within the new install.
Then, tell the NEW Steam client where they are.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties