[SOLVED] Extend the wifi range of spycam? Is it possible using this method?

Oct 1, 2019
endgen.tech
Hi everyone, Its my first post so please bare with me... I'm working on a pet project that involves connecting to a wireless camera (spycam) from a few hundred meters away. The spycam uses the 2.4 GHz with antenna that allows the signal to reach about 75 feet away. However, my project requires a connection to the spycam from 2-3 times that distance!!

I have began to 'mod'the spycam, by replacing its small antenna with an antenna from one of my routers (see the image) .....which gave me about 25 more feet distance...
spycam-mod.jpg

Is it possible to further mod the spycam in the following way? that would allow for a longer range?

The idea I have is to use a signal booster, such as in the image below....
51-Nqt-CUg-Mf-L.jpg

THEN use a larger antenna, to attach to the signal booster
wifiantennayagi.jpg

(probably one of these)

Would this setup be able to work ?

Solution
The signal booster is either telling lies about its output power or it is illegal. Since it is very expensive to build a a high power microwave amplifier that can amplify the signal without amplifying the noise I am going to bet on the product telling lies about the power output. Look at the cost of amplifiers designed for the cell mart that operate on say 2.1ghz. They cost many thousands of dollars and the sites will only sell them to you if you have a license. Most these so called amplifiers are shipped directly out of china. You have no way to know how much power they actually put out. Without the legal fcc or eu markings that shows the device has filed reports on its output power you have to trust the manufacture. If...
The signal booster is either telling lies about its output power or it is illegal. Since it is very expensive to build a a high power microwave amplifier that can amplify the signal without amplifying the noise I am going to bet on the product telling lies about the power output. Look at the cost of amplifiers designed for the cell mart that operate on say 2.1ghz. They cost many thousands of dollars and the sites will only sell them to you if you have a license. Most these so called amplifiers are shipped directly out of china. You have no way to know how much power they actually put out. Without the legal fcc or eu markings that shows the device has filed reports on its output power you have to trust the manufacture. If they are willing to sell products they know violate they law can you trust them not to rip you off.

Almost all legal amplifiers you find put out about 250mw. When you add 5db of antenna you get the legal 1watt output. Maybe one of these will help since you camera likely does not put out close to that power.

Next you have to have extremely expensive cable to hook this up. That thin crap you see will lose more signal than the antenna adds. The cable you want is at least lm600 but it is fairly costly.

Better you rethink your plan. Best if you can hook ethernet to your camera but if not get a small repeater or wifi client bridge. Then hook that to a outdoor wireless bridge from some company like ubiquiti. Likely less than $100.

Solution
Do you have line of sight to the location?? I would just use a wireless bridge like said by bill001g. Ubquity make the nanobeam and powerbeam models depending on your needs. Set them up as point to point, the range can be several miles if you have line of sight.

Oct 1, 2019
endgen.tech
Thanks for responding....
@bill001g , I see what you mean concerning the legal and safe limits of that device....

The project is sports related (cricket)......and includes mounting the camera on a custom designed monopod at any location around the cricket field, and grab the cameras feed from the router (about 150+ feet away!). The cameras for intended use are similar to the one in the picture, which is capable of transmitting a signal about 75feet.....

Now the problem is to reach that signal from a router that is located over 150+ feet away....

@gggplaya mentioned the ubiquiti nano beam.... Would that device (or similar) be able to pull the cameras feed from that distance? without having to make any modifications to the camera? or would the cameras signal be to weak?

Yes, the nanobeam shouldn't have any issues depending on the resolution and overall bandwidth requirements of the camera. Both Nanobeams would need to be in a fixed position and pointed at each other, alignment is key. So if you had a pole or something near the field to mount it on, then attach the nanobeam to a wifi access point at the field. The other nanobeam to your router at the main building.

Oct 1, 2019
endgen.tech
@gggplaya ....

Can this be done extending the range of the routers wifi in order for the wificam to detect? .....
Im looking for another option rather than the bridge..... (trying to avoid adding anything else to the cameras pole mount)

see below...
setupproject.jpg

Oct 1, 2019
endgen.tech
For what its worth, if there is anyone with a similar setup,.... I manged to connect to the wificamera (up to 300meters away from the pavillion, @ about 45% signal) using just a biquad antenna.....similar to the one below. I can now 'throw / direct' the routers signal in a specific direction to any of the wificameras on the field....which in turn allows for any of the wificameras to communicate with the router from its position.

71g-KRCIVt-ZL-SL1500.jpg

The booster was not required.

TRENDING THREADS