Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2022
I'm a mechatronics student and I have Dell latitude 5520 (spec. in mentioned below), I'm currently searching for an external graphics card to use Solidworks (latest version), and I can't find one because of many products. Can anyone help?

Spec. :
intel core i7, integrated HD Graphics card
16 GB ram DDR4, 1TB SSD

You'll want an external graphics card dock with at least USB 3.0 or preferably thunderbolt interface

Next you'll need to buy a PROFESSIONAL graphics card like a AMD Firepro or NVIDIA Quadro that falls within the power specification of the dock.

Unfortunately you'll be looking at quite a bill, as the dock alone is $300+, and professional series graphics cards (which will have drivers specifically for solidworks) will run you over $1000 easy.

14 Best External Graphics Card For Laptops | External GPU 2022 (softwaretestinghelp.com)

Reactions: ahmedemad39'
Jun 26, 2022
You'll want an external graphics card dock with at least USB 3.0 or preferably thunderbolt interface

Next you'll need to buy a PROFESSIONAL graphics card like a AMD Firepro or NVIDIA Quadro that falls within the power specification of the dock.

Unfortunately you'll be looking at quite a bill, as the dock alone is $300+, and professional series graphics cards (which will have drivers specifically for solidworks) will run you over $1000 easy.

14 Best External Graphics Card For Laptops | External GPU 2022 (softwaretestinghelp.com)
Will I need a dock even if my laptop supports Thunderbolt 4?

Will I need a dock even if my laptop supports Thunderbolt 4?

What else you going to plug the graphics card into? You can't replace the internal graphics of your laptop. You'll have to use an external solution. Graphics chips in standard USB/Thunderbolt hubs are just simply port forwarders for the chips already on your system. If you want something for specifically for solidworks, you HAVE to buy an external graphics card + graphics dock, not just a USB/Thunderbolt dock. This kills portability, but it is what it is. Workstation programs need workstation hardware.

Reactions: ahmedemad39'
Status
Not open for further replies.