Question External Hard Drive Suddenly Stopped Working

cgrkbr80

Prominent
May 6, 2018
WD Elements 1TB drive suddenly stopped working. I had my games in it because computers own hdd is very small. I play games a lot so it was very actively used. I bought it not more than 2 years ago.

At first suddenly some files became corrupted i think because Steam couldnt opened DOTA because missing or corrupt files error and some other kinda like this things. After next restart of computer (about 1-2 hours later) my hard disk wont show up anymore.

Device plugged sound plays, i can see it in "Devices And Printers" section in Windows(Windows 7 btw). While hdd plugged i cannot open diskmgmt or any programs like this(wd diagnostics tool or things like it) cannot open. When i unplug hdd everything becomes normal.

Sometimes i see it as "Local Disk L;" in computer but no size or etc things and cannot open ofc (my disks name not local disk also). Sometimes totally nothing.

Can I be sure as my hard disk failed completely?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs. OS is Windows 7.

Have you tried another USB cable between computer and drive?

Have you tried using an independently powered USB hub between computer and drive?

Does the drive work on another computer?

Have you tried Western Digital's drive diagnostic software?

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6226

Note: do be aware that anything you do may cause further data loss and/or damage.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

jordanrevell59

Honorable
Jun 24, 2018
I’ve had the exact same problem with my HDD whilst downloading steam workshop mods for ARMA 3, download and stops and the drive removes itself. The smart western digital software diognostic tool gave serval errors as time went on. Replaced the SATA cable and the system worked fine for 12 hours until downloading the reattempted arma mods. Weird how other games update but I’ve noticed that the HDD is 100% in updating with games. Another sign that the HDD is dying is the flickering of the power button, which may indicate error, don’t know how but apparently does. Maybe it’s time for an new HDD, I will soon probably encounter the drive not bringing recognised at all, as time goes on.

cgrkbr80

Prominent
May 6, 2018
Update your post to include full system hardware specs. OS is Windows 7.

Have you tried another USB cable between computer and drive?

Have you tried using an independently powered USB hub between computer and drive?

Does the drive work on another computer?

Have you tried Western Digital's drive diagnostic software?

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6226

Note: do be aware that anything you do may cause further data loss and/or damage.
I tried another cable another hub and another computer and no result. All same.

I couldnt try WD diagnostics software because as i said, every single program relates to hdd just freezes totally while my hdd plugged.

I cannot post system specs cuz i am away from mu computer now, but ill post it asap