Question External Storage for MacBook

Feb 11, 2021
Hello, I am trying to start mining crypto on my MacBook. I was wondering if it is alright to use a flash drive or if I should get an SSD. Also, what size would I need for these? I've also heard that larger sized SSDs are faster, but is that true, and if so would the extra speed help me mine cryptocurrency any faster?

What kind of crypto are you trying to mine? I'm not an expert on mining or whatever, but from my knowledge you only need "fast enough" and only a few gigs at most, so your boot ssd should be good.
Larger ssds are faster, but not in a very meaningful way, it was more important when a small drive was 1 chip and a big drive was 8. (more capacity = more chips = faster throughput since you can write to more chips)
Now, it doesn't really matter much aside from read speeds mostly.

Also, macbooks aren't particularly powerful, so if you are trying to mine using the cpu and gpu probably won't be that fast.

Feb 11, 2021
I am trying to start mining Zcash. I also have my father's old gaming computer from like a decade ago if you think that would be faster. Not really sure of the specific parts, but I know he got really good quality gaming parts back then.