[SOLVED] Extra 2x2 for CPU and PEG connection

philflo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I'm building a Gigabyte Z390 Designare with an i9-9900K. Also with an Asus RTX 2080 8GB GPU.

So I'm not going to overclock nor use more than one GPU for now.

I've read it's okay to add both the CPU 2X4 pwr and the 2X2 pwr. And I also read that it's okay to go ahead and add the VGA 2X3 cable to the MB {PEG connection} along with both connections already added to the GPU.

PSU is an EVGA 750. Going to power on tomorrow just want to check with you guys if this is all correct - Thanks

Solution
Yeah, if you have the extra cables, there's no reason not to. But conversing with some members who have boards that DO have the extra PEG connector, none of them have used it and have not had any problems. So I really doubt it matters either way.

Considering you WON'T be overclocking the graphics card, I really don't see any reason to run an extra cable, that is entirely unnecessary, unless you have a non-modular power supply and that cable has to be somewhere anyhow in which case then you might as well run it there. If you have a semi or fully modular power supply and don't need to have that extra cable plugged in to the power supply, and won't be overclocking the GPU card, then I don't see any reason for it to be there.
VGA 2X3 cable to the MB {PEG connection}

Huh? Never heard of any such thing. Only connections that go to the motherboard from the power supply are the 24 pin ATX and the 12v EPS cables (Whether 4+4, 4+4+4 or 4+4+4+4).

There should not be anything else going to the motherboard (PEG/PCI goes to the graphics card from the power supply) from the power supply except for those unless something has drastically changed between Z390 and all prior generations. And if it has, it's the first I've heard of it.

And looking at that board online, I see no such thing. There is only the EPS and ATX connections that should be required coming from the PSU. I've also NEVER heard of a 2 x3 cable. There are 6 pin cables, but they are not called 2 x3. When you say 2x something, that's assuming a combination of connectors used together. Like 2x 6 pin. Or 2 x 4+4 pin.

Seems I'm wrong, and this IS another connection there for overclocking the graphics card. Totally not needed though unless you plan to GREATLY overclock your graphics card.

I'm even suspicious about the nature of that since what I'm being told is that it allows it to delivery more power through the PCIe slot, however the PCIe slot is already delivering what the PCIe 3.0 spec was designed to handle so unless they over engineered some of these boards to handle loads beyond the PCIe 3.0 spec I don't understand how that could be possible or acceptable. But it is, so I guess you could go either way on that. Personally, it's the first time I've heard of it so I really doubt it's of any significance anyway.

Yeah, if you have the extra cables, there's no reason not to. But conversing with some members who have boards that DO have the extra PEG connector, none of them have used it and have not had any problems. So I really doubt it matters either way.

Considering you WON'T be overclocking the graphics card, I really don't see any reason to run an extra cable, that is entirely unnecessary, unless you have a non-modular power supply and that cable has to be somewhere anyhow in which case then you might as well run it there. If you have a semi or fully modular power supply and don't need to have that extra cable plugged in to the power supply, and won't be overclocking the GPU card, then I don't see any reason for it to be there.

Solution
There is no 2 x2 pin on that PSU. Or any other that I know of. There is actually 4 x4 pin, like I said before. You will use three of the 4 pin EPS connectors that are 4+4 pin on the end of the EPS cables for a total of 12 pins and you will need to be sure to check the keying because the surrounds around the pins are keyed differently to foolproof against incorrect insertion.