Zuber Khan12

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2014
Hello community.!
I purchased second hand gigabyte 3060ti on January 2024, on first day it gave me temperature issue, which shop owner resolved by putting thermal paste.
Now, from last 2 days i was facing same issue, temperature is reaching 85c and hot spot reaching around 106c.
So i decided to put thermal paste on my own, when i open the card i saw marks on heat sink which doesn't look good, i am sharing the images, hoping to get some answers and advice. : View: https://imgur.com/a/eVxbKqq

Where i live, i am not able to get a good thermal paste, so right now i am using the local one and ordered artic mx-4
Need advice.

cpu : i5 12400f
mobo : MSI pro H610M-E
ram: 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
card: gigabyte rtx 3060ti 8gb
psu : corsair CS650m

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It just looks like some dried up paste residue to me. Scrub it off using some alcohol and a coffee filter.
It's a bit dusty too. Blow that out as well.

temperature is reaching 85c and hot spot reaching around 106c.
That's ~20C gap between the 2, which is within expectations.
I would then question case airflow. 'Cause if the core to hot spot gap is fine, and the gpu cooler is a good one... if airflow isn't adequate, the gpu cooler, thus thermals, can still suffer.

ordered artic mx-4
That's good paste for this. We're going to have to wait for the results of this.

Reactions: thestryker

Zuber Khan12

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2014
It just looks like some dried up paste residue to me. Scrub it off using some alcohol and a coffee filter.
It's a bit dusty too. Blow that out as well.

That's ~20C gap between the 2, which is within expectations.
I would then question case airflow. 'Cause if the core to hot spot gap is fine, and the gpu cooler is a good one... if airflow isn't adequate, the gpu cooler, thus thermals, can still suffer.

That's good paste for this. We're going to have to wait for the results of this.
Thank you for responding sir,
Thats a relief, my mind was creating unnecessary stuff like it was a burn mark ehehe..

Whenever i play game i simply remove the tempered glass for maximum air and using 4 fan, Sharing the video of cabinet, the back ones are for exhaust and 2 fans are in front for intake.

View: https://imgur.com/a/X3srN9O

i am worry about the gap between cpu cooler and gpu, do you think this could be the reason also?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sharing the video of cabinet, the back ones are for exhaust and 2 fans are in front for intake.
Sorry, but I can't identify the model of the case from this short clip. Plus, many cases look identical towards the back end.
Do you know what it is?

i am worry about the gap between cpu cooler and gpu, do you think this could be the reason also?
No way. Far from it.

Thank you for responding sir,
Thats a relief, my mind was creating unnecessary stuff like it was a burn mark ehehe..

Whenever i play game i simply remove the tempered glass for maximum air and using 4 fan, Sharing the video of cabinet, the back ones are for exhaust and 2 fans are in front for intake.

View: https://imgur.com/a/X3srN9O

CPU cooler and GPU are fine but concerned those thermal pads look like they need replacing as there ripped. Dunno what they used on the cooler those scratches are deep I use lint free clothes on cleaning the coolers cotton wabs if you want to get as much of the old stuff off a d isopropyl alcohol.