Zuber Khan12

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2014
Hello community.!
I purchased second hand gigabyte 3060ti on January 2024, on first day it gave me temperature issue, which shop owner resolved by putting thermal paste.
Now, from last 2 days i was facing same issue, temperature is reaching 85c and hot spot reaching around 106c.
So i decided to put thermal paste on my own, when i open the card i saw marks on heat sink which doesn't look good, i am sharing the images, hoping to get some answers and advice. : View: https://imgur.com/a/eVxbKqq

Where i live, i am not able to get a good thermal paste, so right now i am using the local one and ordered artic mx-4
Need advice.

cpu : i5 12400f
mobo : MSI pro H610M-E
ram: 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
card: gigabyte rtx 3060ti 8gb
psu : corsair CS650m

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It just looks like some dried up paste residue to me. Scrub it off using some alcohol and a coffee filter.
It's a bit dusty too. Blow that out as well.

temperature is reaching 85c and hot spot reaching around 106c.
That's ~20C gap between the 2, which is within expectations.
I would then question case airflow. 'Cause if the core to hot spot gap is fine, and the gpu cooler is a good one... if airflow isn't adequate, the gpu cooler, thus thermals, can still suffer.

ordered artic mx-4
That's good paste for this. We're going to have to wait for the results of this.

Reactions: thestryker

Zuber Khan12

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2014
It just looks like some dried up paste residue to me. Scrub it off using some alcohol and a coffee filter.
It's a bit dusty too. Blow that out as well.

That's ~20C gap between the 2, which is within expectations.
I would then question case airflow. 'Cause if the core to hot spot gap is fine, and the gpu cooler is a good one... if airflow isn't adequate, the gpu cooler, thus thermals, can still suffer.

That's good paste for this. We're going to have to wait for the results of this.
Thank you for responding sir,
Thats a relief, my mind was creating unnecessary stuff like it was a burn mark ehehe..

Whenever i play game i simply remove the tempered glass for maximum air and using 4 fan, Sharing the video of cabinet, the back ones are for exhaust and 2 fans are in front for intake.

View: https://imgur.com/a/X3srN9O

i am worry about the gap between cpu cooler and gpu, do you think this could be the reason also?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sharing the video of cabinet, the back ones are for exhaust and 2 fans are in front for intake.
Sorry, but I can't identify the model of the case from this short clip. Plus, many cases look identical towards the back end.
Do you know what it is?

i am worry about the gap between cpu cooler and gpu, do you think this could be the reason also?
No way. Far from it.

Thank you for responding sir,
Thats a relief, my mind was creating unnecessary stuff like it was a burn mark ehehe..

Whenever i play game i simply remove the tempered glass for maximum air and using 4 fan, Sharing the video of cabinet, the back ones are for exhaust and 2 fans are in front for intake.

View: https://imgur.com/a/X3srN9O

CPU cooler and GPU are fine but concerned those thermal pads look like they need replacing as there ripped. Dunno what they used on the cooler those scratches are deep I use lint free clothes on cleaning the coolers cotton wabs if you want to get as much of the old stuff off a d isopropyl alcohol.

If unsure about size get some digital calipers and measure the non compressed part of pad.
Arctic does some nice thermal pads of various sizes.

That should improve temps.

Top right nut looks a bit damaged

Last edited:

Zuber Khan12

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2014
Sorry, but I can't identify the model of the case from this short clip. Plus, many cases look identical towards the back end.
Do you know what it is?

No way. Far from it.
No need to be sorry sir, i am the one should thanking you for helping me on this issue :).
Model is Thermaltake H200 Tempered Glass Snow Edition :
View: https://imgur.com/a/D2MC5Sw

i use this case for last 4 years, played red dead2 and assassin creed odyssey all day long but never faced temp issue .

Zuber Khan12

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2014
CPU cooler and GPU are fine but concerned those thermal pads look like they need replacing as there ripped. Dunno what they used on the cooler those scratches are deep I use lint free clothes on cleaning the coolers cotton wabs if you want to get as much of the old stuff off a d isopropyl alcohol.

If unsure about size get some digital calipers and measure the non compressed part of pad.
Arctic does some nice thermal pads of various sizes.

That should improve temps.

Top right nut looks a bit damaged
Thank you for responding sir :),
Yes, those scratches, it looks like previous owner did this explicitly, and mark on heat sink worried me. but now i am in relief.

i watched a video on same card, that shows all thermal pad are 1mm.
For now, will use paste and observe the temperature, its already costing me 600inr, if it work fine, but if not, then i will spend more on pad.

js2

Jul 16, 2024
Get a refund if you can. Doesn't look like he did a good refurb. So holding onto it lessens your chances of him admitting fault.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Model is Thermaltake H200 Tempered Glass Snow Edition :
Aye, front panel style restricts air intake. The fans at the front don't have much surface area to work with either.

i use this case for last 4 years, played red dead2 and assassin creed odyssey all day long but never faced temp issue .
When total system power consumption is low, one can get by with cases that are more restrictive. As the power use goes up, there needs to be a greater exchange of air(in and out) to go along with it.

Zuber Khan12

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2014
Aye, front panel style restricts air intake. The fans at the front don't have much surface area to work with either.

When total system power consumption is low, one can get by with cases that are more restrictive. As the power use goes up, there needs to be a greater exchange of air(in and out) to go along with it.
Oh ok, so removing side tampered glass doesn't help in lowering the temperature?
Do i need to buy new cabinet?

Zuber Khan12

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2014
Get a refund if you can. Doesn't look like he did a good refurb. So holding onto it lessens your chances of him admitting fault.
i admit my fault, i should make shop owner open the card.
this card in still in warranty so he said if something happened they will replace it.

i will put MX-4 and see if problem resolved, if not, then i will talk with shop owner and try to get refund.

Thank you for responding sir :),
Yes, those scratches, it looks like previous owner did this explicitly, and mark on heat sink worried me. but now i am in relief.

i watched a video on same card, that shows all thermal pad are 1mm.
For now, will use paste and observe the temperature, its already costing me 600inr, if it work fine, but if not, then i will spend more on pad.
if pads are 1mm i would recomend getting them arctic pads dont cost a huge amount. the pads are clearly damaged and this will effect the cooling performance of the cooler and contact.

your card shouldnt even be getting near 80c and 106c. as its a triple fan design if im not mistaken ?.

also put another 120mm fan in the top have it blow air into the case leave the other as exaust. this will allow for more cool room air to enter the case.

( while replacing the case would be best it would cost less to do it this way.)

i also recomend going into msi afterburner.

set a fan curve to keep the fans running at 30 percent at 30c 65 at 50c and for 75c have it ram up to 100 percent.

by doing this you can keep the card temps under control to a temp that your comfortable with.

as the nvidias fan curve usually wont go to 100 percent fan speed till your in a danger zone.

Reactions: CelicaGT