[SOLVED] Failure of Motherboard or CPU or Both

Apr 2, 2021
My PC no longer starts. After power on motherboard lights on, fans run then all goes off & again lights & fan becomes on & then off. This cycle goes on for 4-5 times & then stops. No monitor display appears. Tested my RAM elsewhere & it's OK. I have doubts on Motherboard & CPU. There's light burn mark in CPU & some pins of MB sockets are disoriented.
SIpfNL4.jpg

QIQMDPv.jpg

Suggest me whether CPU or MB is at fault & whether to go for replacement as I'm in dire need for the PC.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Those CPU socket pins don't look right. In fact the most likely thing is that you bent the pins while the CPU was being dropped in(or the socket had bent pins and you didn't notice) and the burnt area is due to a short happening on the CPU's underside, caused by crossed over pins.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Those CPU socket pins don't look right. In fact the most likely thing is that you bent the pins while the CPU was being dropped in(or the socket had bent pins and you didn't notice) and the burnt area is due to a short happening on the CPU's underside, caused by crossed over pins.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
agree the bent pins caused a short, you may be able to clean the CPU and try it in a different board - but it's probably toast - the motherboard may be salvageable but I'd treat it as suspect until you can straighten the pins (barrel of a mechanical pencil works well) and test it (on a processor you don't value too much).

Reactions: SamirD