Falcon 4 Question Please

I know that this may be a simple answer for most, but bear with me. After
installing the SP4 version of F-4, I was playing it for a while until I got
a bit impatient. Problem being: It sometimes takes as long as 5 minutes to
download a mission in a campaign. Training missions are even taking 3-4
minutes. I recently purchased a P-4 with 512 DDR Sdram memory or whatever
it is called. My graphics card is (inadequate (??) in that it is an Intel
Graphics Accelerator with 128 mb shared memory and says it has a processor
speed of 3.0 ghz, 1mb L2 cache, 800 mhz front side bus. It is an HP A 730n
computer. I know that it is a basic computer, but I would like to know
which is more critical for me to have. Do I need more ram such as 1024 or a
different graphics accelertor. I am not willing to spend many hundreds of
dollars I just want an improvement in the system . I should have stated
that once airborn, the game seemed to run fairly smooth. There was some
frozen frame speed but it was very rare and tolerable for me. I don;t have
much access to computer repairs or updates as I live in rural area 50 miles
from the nearest center, so thought I would ask this group. Your help has
been appreciated in the past when asking for asssitance in uploading
questions for SP4. Thank you. Dave

"DR" <duklvr@tekstar.com> wrote in message
>I know that this may be a simple answer for most, but bear with me. After
>installing the SP4 version of F-4, I was playing it for a while until I got
>a bit impatient. Problem being: It sometimes takes as long as 5 minutes
>to download a mission in a campaign. Training missions are even taking 3-4
>minutes. I recently purchased a P-4 with 512 DDR Sdram memory or whatever
>it is called. My graphics card is (inadequate (??) in that it is an Intel
>Graphics Accelerator with 128 mb shared memory and says it has a processor
>speed of 3.0 ghz, 1mb L2 cache, 800 mhz front side bus. It is an HP A 730n
>computer. I know that it is a basic computer, but I would like to know
>which is more critical for me to have. Do I need more ram such as 1024 or
>a different graphics accelertor. I am not willing to spend many hundreds
>of dollars I just want an improvement in the system . I should have stated
>that once airborn, the game seemed to run fairly smooth. There was some
>frozen frame speed but it was very rare and tolerable for me. I don;t have
>much access to computer repairs or updates as I live in rural area 50 miles
>from the nearest center, so thought I would ask this group. Your help has
>been appreciated in the past when asking for asssitance in uploading
>questions for SP4. Thank you. Dave

Do the following:

Start---Run---dxdiag---OK

Save the results into a text file and post them here. That way we will know
exactly what we're dealing with in terms of your PC.

I suspect that you are running an onboard graphics "accelerator" - which
means that it's probably very sub-par for graphics-intensive games, like
Falcon 4.0. If that is the case, you are going to want to purchase and
install a separate, dedicated graphics card to plug into one of the PCI or
AGP slots in your motherboard. You could proably also stand to buy another
512MB stick of RAM, but if Falcon 4.0 is your main concern, that may not be
as critical as in other, newer games.

A buddy of mine was in the same boat as you are, with a terrible grpahics
accelerator on his MB, and ended up getting a decent dedicated card for less
than a hundred dollars. Needless to say, his performance in his favorite
games (Tiger Woods Golf, and some fishing game) went through the roof.

James

Thank you sir" I am sure you are correct in that I don't have an adequate
graphics card and it is a "stock" item with the purchase of computer.
There was a very length report and was concerned about posting all those
pages. Maybe this will help. Thanks

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 3/22/2005, 20:58:54
Machine name: YOUR-AE066C3A9B
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack
2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
System Model: PJ510AA-ABA a730n
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/02/05 13:04:54 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 504MB RAM
Page File: 308MB used, 920MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Controller
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2582&SUBSYS_2A08103C&REV_04
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: hp f1703 Flat Panel Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.3943 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 11/2/2004 09:19:48, 37951 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: ialmnt5.sys
Mini VDD Date: 11/2/2004 09:27:20, 773565 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-66C2-11CF-EB7C-020AA5C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x2582
SubSys ID: 0x2A08103C
Revision ID: 0x0004
Revision ID: 0x0004
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

> Save the results into a text file and post them here. That way we will
> know exactly what we're dealing with in terms of your PC.
>
> I suspect that you are running an onboard graphics "accelerator" - which
> means that it's probably very sub-par for graphics-intensive games, like
> Falcon 4.0. If that is the case, you are going to want to purchase and
> install a separate, dedicated graphics card to plug into one of the PCI or
> AGP slots in your motherboard. You could proably also stand to buy
> another 512MB stick of RAM, but if Falcon 4.0 is your main concern, that
> may not be as critical as in other, newer games.

"DR" <duklvr@tekstar.com> wrote in message
> I know that this may be a simple answer for most, but bear with me. After
> installing the SP4 version of F-4, I was playing it for a while until I
got
> a bit impatient. Problem being: It sometimes takes as long as 5 minutes
> download a mission in a campaign. Training missions are even taking 3-4
> minutes. I recently purchased a P-4 with 512 DDR Sdram memory or whatever
> it is called. My graphics card is (inadequate (??) in that it is an Intel
> Graphics Accelerator with 128 mb shared memory and says it has a processor
> speed of 3.0 ghz, 1mb L2 cache, 800 mhz front side bus. It is an HP A
730n
> computer. I know that it is a basic computer, but I would like to know
> which is more critical for me to have. Do I need more ram such as 1024 or
> different graphics accelertor. I am not willing to spend many hundreds of
> dollars I just want an improvement in the system . I should have stated
> that once airborn, the game seemed to run fairly smooth. There was some
> frozen frame speed but it was very rare and tolerable for me. I don;t
have
> much access to computer repairs or updates as I live in rural area 50
miles
> from the nearest center, so thought I would ask this group. Your help has
> been appreciated in the past when asking for asssitance in uploading
> questions for SP4. Thank you. Dave

You know, now that I've seen your specs, and re-read your post, I don't
think it's a system issue after all. Your CPU is a 3.0GHz Pentium (near top
of the line). You've got an (admittedly onboard) graphics accelerator w/
128MB of VRAM - that should be plenty.

Long load times suggest something else is going on. Did you do a full
install of Falcon 4.0? (As I recall there is an option for a more
hard-disk-friendly install wherein only part of the files get installed, and
you have to have the CD in the drive - that would probably cause loading
time issues). Are you running anti-virus software? If so, turn it off
before playing the game. In fact, kill *all* unnecessar taasks in the task
bar. Do you regularly run anti-spyware programs like Adaware and Spybot?
Spyware is often a culprit when you experience system slow-downs. Get them
at www.lavasoft.com and http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html.

Just some ideas.

James

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:20:20 -0500, "James Calivar"
<amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>You know, now that I've seen your specs, and re-read your post, I don't
>think it's a system issue after all. Your CPU is a 3.0GHz Pentium (near top
>of the line). You've got an (admittedly onboard) graphics accelerator w/
>128MB of VRAM - that should be plenty.

Don't onboard graphics accelerators share system ram, or is that 128mb
of dedicated ram? Any onboard graphcs accelerator I've seen gets its
Vram from the system ram. He only has 512mb of system ram to start
with. I would get a dedicated video card like a 9800pro (they can be
bought for a good price now and are still good performers) and put in
another 512mb of ram.

"Connected" <connected@somewhere.here> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:20:20 -0500, "James Calivar"
> <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>

> >You know, now that I've seen your specs, and re-read your post, I don't
> >think it's a system issue after all. Your CPU is a 3.0GHz Pentium (near
top
> >of the line). You've got an (admittedly onboard) graphics accelerator w/
> >128MB of VRAM - that should be plenty.
>
> Don't onboard graphics accelerators share system ram, or is that 128mb
> of dedicated ram? Any onboard graphcs accelerator I've seen gets its
> Vram from the system ram. He only has 512mb of system ram to start
> with. I would get a dedicated video card like a 9800pro (they can be
> bought for a good price now and are still good performers) and put in
> another 512mb of ram.

I agree with you here, but he said he didn't want to spend hundreds of
dollars. A new card and 512MB RAM would probably tip the $300.00 mark.

DR wrote:

> I know that this may be a simple answer for most, but bear with me. After
> installing the SP4 version of F-4, I was playing it for a while until I
> got
> a bit impatient. Problem being: It sometimes takes as long as 5 minutes
> download a mission in a campaign. Training missions are even taking 3-4
> minutes. I recently purchased a P-4 with 512 DDR Sdram memory or whatever
> it is called. My graphics card is (inadequate (??) in that it is an Intel
> Graphics Accelerator with 128 mb shared memory and says it has a processor
> speed of 3.0 ghz, 1mb L2 cache, 800 mhz front side bus. It is an HP A
> 730n
> computer. I know that it is a basic computer, but I would like to know
> which is more critical for me to have. Do I need more ram such as 1024 or
> different graphics accelertor. I am not willing to spend many hundreds of
> dollars I just want an improvement in the system . I should have stated
> that once airborn, the game seemed to run fairly smooth. There was some
> frozen frame speed but it was very rare and tolerable for me. I don;t
> have much access to computer repairs or updates as I live in rural area 50
> miles
> from the nearest center, so thought I would ask this group. Your help has
> been appreciated in the past when asking for asssitance in uploading
> questions for SP4. Thank you. Dave

You might try disabling indexing on this drive. Right click on the drive in
"My Computer" and uncheck indexing.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

I have recently upgraded to spybot 1.3 - an upgrade that seems to have
coincided with my computer not operating at all. It started with the
screen just going blank without warning. It's not a monitor problem
however - the machine is actually frozen. The CD doors won't open, KB
lights won't turn off, and it won't shutdown. This doesn't happen when
I boot to "safe" mode. I tried uninstalling spybot, but the problem
persisted. Going to "system restore" wasn't the answer since I could
only go back to the date on which I installed spybot. though it did
delay the onset of the problem for a few minutes. A google turned up
numerous complaints for spybot users who had loved the older version.

DR wrote:
> [...]

> think it's a system issue after all. Your CPU is a 3.0GHz Pentium (near
> top
> of the line). You've got an (admittedly onboard) graphics accelerator w/
> 128MB of VRAM - that should be plenty.
>
> Long load times suggest something else is going on. Did you do a full
> install of Falcon 4.0? (As I recall there is an option for a more
> hard-disk-friendly install wherein only part of the files get installed,
> and
> you have to have the CD in the drive - that would probably cause loading
> time issues). Are you running anti-virus software? If so, turn it off
> before playing the game. In fact, kill *all* unnecessar taasks in the
> task
> bar. Do you regularly run anti-spyware programs like Adaware and Spybot?
> Spyware is often a culprit when you experience system slow-downs. Get

I don't see the indexing under my computer. What am I missing and can you
tell me what indexing is or does? Will it affect any other programs. Thank
you

DR wrote:

> I don't see the indexing under my computer. What am I missing and can you
> tell me what indexing is or does? Will it affect any other programs.
> Thank you
> "Mitch_A" <naman@pacbell.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> DR wrote:
>>
>>> I know that this may be a simple answer for most, but bear with me.
>>> After
>>> installing the SP4 version of F-4, I was playing it for a while until I
>>> got
>>> a bit impatient. Problem being: It sometimes takes as long as 5
>>> minutes to
>>> download a mission in a campaign. Training missions are even taking 3-4
>>> minutes. I recently purchased a P-4 with 512 DDR Sdram memory or
>>> whatever
>>> it is called. My graphics card is (inadequate (??) in that it is an
>>> Intel
>>> Graphics Accelerator with 128 mb shared memory and says it has a
>>> processor
>>> speed of 3.0 ghz, 1mb L2 cache, 800 mhz front side bus. It is an HP A
>>> 730n
>>> computer. I know that it is a basic computer, but I would like to know
>>> which is more critical for me to have. Do I need more ram such as 1024
>>> or
>>> different graphics accelertor. I am not willing to spend many hundreds
>>> of
>>> dollars I just want an improvement in the system . I should have stated
>>> that once airborn, the game seemed to run fairly smooth. There was some
>>> frozen frame speed but it was very rare and tolerable for me. I don;t
>>> have much access to computer repairs or updates as I live in rural area
>>> 50
>>> miles
>>> from the nearest center, so thought I would ask this group. Your help
>>> has
>>> been appreciated in the past when asking for asssitance in uploading
>>> questions for SP4. Thank you. Dave
>>
>> You might try disabling indexing on this drive. Right click on the drive
>> in
>> "My Computer" and uncheck indexing.
>>
>> Mitch
>> --
>> Remove "nospam." to reply.
>> SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a
>> Crump's other Brother.

Ooops. Open "My Computer" then right click on the drive that holds your F4
install then left click Properties. Under the General tab at the bottom of
the window is a check box for indexing. Uncheck it if you havent already.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

Thanks, will give it a try also

DR wrote:

> Thanks, will give it a try also

In your system BIOS you may be able to reduce the amount of shared memory.
You might find a compromise at 64MB. That I know F4 doesnt have that much
texture anyway ;) and it will make available 64MB for the system memory
which may give you a bit of load time reduction.

You might also try playing around with your system swap file. Sometimes
smaller is better but dont remove it altogether.

Ive been running a 1gig swap on a dedicated partition for quite a few years
now.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

Not true Mitch,

The videocard is THE bottleneck in his system, even if he should get a 10G
CPU, it will still crawl forward like a snail (when it comes down to playing
games that is).

The best performance you get out of a system where the seperate parts match
up to each other speed. This differs a bit from game to game but it's an
overall rule!!!

--
Lange,
666th Black Brigade,

<-- reverse this wrote:

> Not true Mitch,
>
> The videocard is THE bottleneck in his system, even if he should get a 10G
> CPU, it will still crawl forward like a snail (when it comes down to
> playing games that is).
>
> The best performance you get out of a system where the seperate parts
> match up to each other speed. This differs a bit from game to game but
> it's an overall rule!!!

Im not disagreeing his vidiocard is a bottleneck. He said his in-game
performance was acceptable. Its the wait at the PIE that is his issue that
I saw anyhoo ;)

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

On 23 Mar 2005 15:49:49 -0800, "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote:

>I have recently upgraded to spybot 1.3 - an upgrade that seems to have
>coincided with my computer not operating at all. It started with the
>screen just going blank without warning. It's not a monitor problem
>however - the machine is actually frozen. The CD doors won't open, KB
>lights won't turn off, and it won't shutdown. This doesn't happen when
>I boot to "safe" mode. I tried uninstalling spybot, but the problem
>persisted. Going to "system restore" wasn't the answer since I could
>only go back to the date on which I installed spybot. though it did
>delay the onset of the problem for a few minutes. A google turned up
>numerous complaints for spybot users who had loved the older version.

I have Spybot 1.3 and have no such problems. In fact, I just ran it
now to be certain and it ran fine.

Mitch_A wrote:

> <-- reverse this wrote:
>
>> Not true Mitch,
>>
>> The videocard is THE bottleneck in his system, even if he should get a
>> 10G CPU, it will still crawl forward like a snail (when it comes down to
>> playing games that is).
>>
>> The best performance you get out of a system where the seperate parts
>> match up to each other speed. This differs a bit from game to game but
>> it's an overall rule!!!

Actually I will disagree about a 10Gig CPU not being able to run F4 with
even the worst 3d accelerator. CPU is king. As long as the video card
meets (what DX6or7?) spec all you get with a current GPU running F4 is more
transistors/memory and whatever options the driver/hardware supports which
would be mainly aesthetics as the FR could rely on theat much CPU entirely.

This assuming the number of transistors continues to increase at the same
trend as Hertz ;) Dual core may change all that though.

I use the same "overall" rule, with a few others added for good measure ;)

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:35:08 GMT, DR wrote:

>I should have stated
>that once airborn, the game seemed to run fairly smooth. There was some
>frozen frame speed but it was very rare and tolerable for me.

Sounds like you've already had some fairly "techie" replies on this -
however, I'll add simply that it could just be a matter of hard drive
performance/speed.

I have a fairly low-end PC that runs F4 reasonably OK (for me!).
However - when I do online sessions, with friends that have much
better systems, they're past the loading screen and in the cockpit in
around 15secs, whilst it takes me anything up to 1-2 minutes to get
going.

Adamski.

I know but we are talking about shared memory here. And if there is one
thing that HIT's whatever performance then it's shared memory.

Hey everyone, I appreciate all your help. I have tried everything and still
no success. My load times are still in campagin mode at 5-7 minutes. (This
is for the SP4 version of Falcon 4.0) There was no change even when I
lowered the graphics considerably. The frame rate is acceptible, but I have
decided to go with a new add on video graphics card. I believe that will
help as has been suggested and hopefully it will decrease the load times.
When speaking of that whether you are playing FF3 or SP4 are your load times
considerably less?

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:25:43 GMT, DR wrote:

>I do have Norton anti virus running as well as spybot. I should have
>thought of that and will disable them and give that a try. I do have a full
>install on the hard drive.

James - red herrings, I'm sorry to say. I'm running a P4 at a miserly
1.7GHz - NAV and Spybot are active *all the time* - whatever I play.
As I've said earlier, load times are slow - but F4 runs well once it's
up. I have a GF4 Ti4400.

The only thing I can think of, at least on the NAV tack, is to never
run the Norton (Utils) diagnostic panel thing. You know - the one with
all the dials etc. It hogs the very resources it's trying to monitor.
It's been so long since I've seen that thing that I've forgotten it's
name!

I still think checking your hard drive (is DMA on?) is worth a go -
though I agree that losing memory to your video card isn't good.

One of those "pies" in the loading screen is the loading of textures
etc. There was a tweak in F4 (or a command line startup option) that
skipped the initial loading of textures. You'd whizz through the

Some people recommend a good old defrag of your HD. I used to be a
real slave to this, but I've done the F4 dance so often lately that
I've skipped that part and haven't really missed it. No harm in doing
it though.

Adamski.

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:21:55 GMT, DR wrote:

>... The frame rate is acceptible, but I have
>decided to go with a new add on video graphics card. I believe that will
>help as has been suggested and hopefully it will decrease the load times.

Yay! After all this -let us know the outcome!

Adamski.

DR -

Upgrade to 1 MB of memory or more before investing in a video card and
I bet your performance increases. What it sounds like is happening is
that Falcon is using your HD cache as memory, loading the mission
parameters there. That would account for the long load times. Memory
is a LOT cheaper than a new video card (though you really DO need that
also).

Good luck!
Icer

>On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:21:55 GMT, "DR" <duklvr@tekstar.com> wrote:
>Hey everyone, I appreciate all your help. I have tried everything and still
>no success. My load times are still in campagin mode at 5-7 minutes. (This
>is for the SP4 version of Falcon 4.0) There was no change even when I
>lowered the graphics considerably. The frame rate is acceptible, but I have
>decided to go with a new add on video graphics card. I believe that will
>help as has been suggested and hopefully it will decrease the load times.
>When speaking of that whether you are playing FF3 or SP4 are your load times
>considerably less?
>

>"Lange" <lange@arodnap(<-- reverse this).be> wrote in message
>>I know but we are talking about shared memory here. And if there is one
>>thing that HIT's whatever performance then it's shared memory.

I added a Radeon X700 Pro with 256MB and it made a tremendous difference in
IL-2 FB (looks like a new sim) as well as now allowing me to play LOMAC, It
only decreased the load times for SP Falcon 4 a little bit, though it runs
smoother. In a few months will add more ram. Thanks to all, flying in
IL-2 really does give a sense of moving. Love it