Question Fan error while fan is working on Lenovo Thinkpad E14 Gen 2 ?

Jun 8, 2023
Hello!

My CPU Fan started rattling and vibrating so I took it out in order to take a look. The Fan was pretty clean already but I cleaned it again, I applied some thermal paste and now when I try to open the laptop, "Fan error" shows up, I can only continue by pressing "ESC" and by agreeing to use the CPU at a low level (not max capacity). Still, the fan works, sometimes it vibrates and rattles, sometimes it works normally and the CPU temperature is fine all the time. Sometimes I don't receive "Fan error" at all and the CPU works at MAX capacity without overheating.

My question is: is there any way to bypass this Fan Error since the fan it's actually working? I understand that at boot time, some check is done in order to see the proper RPM from the Fan, can I avoid that? Again, the fan even though is not working smoothly, does its job so I want to be able to use the CPU at MAX capacity.

Forgot to mention that, after looking online for some solutions, I also updated the BIOS.

Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Reads to me like the fan on the laptop might be giving out or the BIOS on the laptop is to blame. For the sake of relevance, you can use the serial number on Lenovo's support site and see if you might have any BIOS updates pending and/or your chipset drivers/firmware needs updating but it looks to me that the BIOS might be at fault. Either that or the fan might be faulty.

At this point, I'd avoid running the laptop in a crippled state and inform your seller and Lenovo about the issue, provided the laptop is yet under warranty.

Jun 8, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Reads to me like the fan on the laptop might be giving out or the BIOS on the laptop is to blame. For the sake of relevance, you can use the serial number on Lenovo's support site and see if you might have any BIOS updates pending and/or your chipset drivers/firmware needs updating but it looks to me that the BIOS might be at fault. Either that or the fan might be faulty.

At this point, I'd avoid running the laptop in a crippled state and inform your seller and Lenovo about the issue, provided the laptop is yet under warranty.
Hello and thank you for answering, but as I said I already updates BIOS and other chipsets, everything is up to date, the fan is faulty indeed, but I want to know if I can bypass this error and disable the check. Again, even though the FAN is not working properly, the CPU temperature is under control.