[SOLVED] Fans going UP and DOWN during gaming!

Pessut

Commendable
Apr 13, 2020
When i'm playing a game such as GTA V, my fans randomly speed up and slow down every 10 seconds. It's really annoying and a bit freaky. Is there a setting to stabilize fans so that they run at the same speed and don't jump around constantly?

GPU: RTX 2070 SUPER
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (Stock)
MB: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX

My BIOS is at default settings. (XMP enabled)

Solution
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: CM Hyper T4
MB: MSI GAMING PLUS MAX

My CPU temperature ranges between 60 and 70 degrees while gaming.
It's very annoying when my CPU Fan ramps up to full speed and then instantly goes down during gaming.
Is this a good Fan Curve to avoid CPU fan getting to 100% when hitting 70 degrees? (While being safe for the CPU of course)

Capture.png

I'd just set a fixed voltage of 7 or 8v depending on what noise level you get...if you insist on using a fan curve then set it aggressive and buy a quality low noise fan like the Noctua NF-P12....70c is too hot for Ryzen since at those temps your leaving performance on the floor...Ryzen likes to be in the mid 60's max if possible...
If you are using the stock cooler it will do this,(all coolers do this but the wraith coolers are exceptionally loud.) As suggested above by @sizzling, you'll need to adjust your fan curve but as many of us Ryzen users have done, buy an after market cooler, best thing I ever did!

Pessut

Commendable
Apr 13, 2020
If you are using the stock cooler it will do this,(all coolers do this but the wraith coolers are exceptionally loud.) As suggested above by @sizzling, you'll need to adjust your fan curve but as many of us Ryzen users have done, buy an after market cooler, best thing I ever did!
I already have AM Cooler, Cooler Master Hyper T4.

Reactions: kurdtnz

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree about changing your "fan curve" to your own custom settings. But it may not be a "really steep" curve problem.

Many fan control algorithms in BIOS do not follow a smooth "curve". It really is done step-wise. Over a certain range the fan speed is kept constant, but at a certain temperature it switches to the next step up which may well be a significant speed-up. If that results in over-cooling so the temp drops below that temperature trigger, the fan slows down again. Just by setting your custom fan curve to start running faster at a slightly lower tmperture all through its range, you can change where the jumps in fan speed happen and prevent them from changing constantly.

Pessut

Commendable
Apr 13, 2020
MB: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX
GPU: RTX 2070 Super
Cooler: Hyper T4

What's the ideal fan curve for CPU cooler in gaming without making too much noise?

Is this okay? I'm using 1usmus power plan.

msi.png

Pessut

Commendable
Apr 13, 2020
It won't stop the revving - that is just the nature of the 3000 chips - but the following should be easier on your ears as the curve isn't as steep:
-minimum rpm of 60-70% at 60C
-middle rpm of 80% at 80C
-100% at 90C
Isn't that too much? My Cooler is not that good.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What part is too much?
The fan rpm? Manufacturers design their fans around 100%. A static setting is also easier on the fan motor than a dynamic curve, so if you'd rather fix it at say, 70%, you can do that too.

The temperature? The cpu is fine, until 85C and up - that's when it starts getting toasty.
Plus, for Ryzen 3000, 80C is the cut-off point for their own boost algorithms; that's when it stops pushing for higher multi-thread frequencies.
I know this from many other Ryzen 3000 threads mentioning this exact number - as if it likes that number or something.

Pessut

Commendable
Apr 13, 2020

It's very annoying when my CPU Fan ramps up to full speed and then instantly goes down during gaming.
Is this a good Fan Curve to avoid CPU fan getting to 100% when hitting 70 degrees? (While being safe for the CPU of course)

Capture.png

Capture.png

I'd just set a fixed voltage of 7 or 8v depending on what noise level you get...if you insist on using a fan curve then set it aggressive and buy a quality low noise fan like the Noctua NF-P12....70c is too hot for Ryzen since at those temps your leaving performance on the floor...Ryzen likes to be in the mid 60's max if possible to scale the cores for maximize performance.

Solution