Question Fans ramping up and down constantly, no software can change it.

judedalla

Reputable
Sep 15, 2017
Specs : RTX 2080 ti Aorus Xtreme windforce
i9-9900k
16 GB 3666 mhz gskill trident z
msi hero xii mobo
corsair obsidian case

Hey so this issue has been quite persistent for a while now, basically the fans on my GPU ramp up to 100% then back down to silent then back up again whenever I am playing a game.

I have gone into MSI afterburner and changed the fan curve and changed the speed and my GPU doesn't seem to respond to the fan speeds I input.
If I change the speed to 10% and force it, it wont listen and will still ramp up and down at will. The only thought I've had is that it could be something to do with the fact that I've had many OC software's installed,
and that it's following some stupid profile on a OC software that I've uninstalled. Anyways just wondered if anyone has any ideas as I'm stuck.
Many thanks Jude

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Turn off the fanless mode. Sounds like the gpu is getting to @ 65°C, ramps the fans for a minute until temp drops to 60°ish, then shuts off. Rinse and repeat...

Running standard mode, the fans run on default curve, so you'd get a consistent lower level and lower temp than fanless allows.

judedalla

Reputable
Sep 15, 2017
Turn off the fanless mode. Sounds like the gpu is getting to @ 65°C, ramps the fans for a minute until temp drops to 60°ish, then shuts off. Rinse and repeat...

Running standard mode, the fans run on default curve, so you'd get a consistent lower level and lower temp than fanless allows.
where would i change this setting my only idea of where would be in the aorus engine where i have the passive semi passive etc settings and ive changed this to constant to no avail

where would i change this setting my only idea of where would be in the aorus engine where i have the passive semi passive etc settings and ive changed this to constant to no avail
Try setting a custom fan curve for the graphics card and make sure to enable it only on 1 program that can control fan curves. Your issue may lie on that you have many programs that control fan curves at the same time conflicting with each other. I would also try clean booting your computer so none of these programs launch and see what behavior your fans take when playing a game with no 3rd party fan curve controls are enabled. This issue sounds exactly like what @Karadjgne said.

judedalla

Reputable
Sep 15, 2017
I'd not use Afterburner AND Aorus Engine both to control the fans, if Afterburner can't control the RGB on the card I'd just use the AE and call it a day. You've most likely got conflicting signals.
Thanks for the ideas but i have tried all of these and none of them have worked at all. Any other suggestions?

judedalla

Reputable
Sep 15, 2017
I'd not use Afterburner AND Aorus Engine both to control the fans, if Afterburner can't control the RGB on the card I'd just use the AE and call it a day. You've most likely got conflicting signals.
I have done some more testing and messing around and it's really weird, it will stay the same temp (78-80 Degrees) and some times it will ramp up and then down the fans but sometimes it will stay constant high rpm. It doesn't listen to any software, I've uninstalled all programs with control and re-installed only one and it still doesn't listen the rpm doesn't change based on my inputs. It for sure is a hidden program doing this as it is a temperature based ramp up and down as when not under load it doesn't do this, any idea of where this is controlled ? BIOS maybe?

I have done some more testing and messing around and it's really weird, it will stay the same temp (78-80 Degrees) and some times it will ramp up and then down the fans but sometimes it will stay constant high rpm. It doesn't listen to any software, I've uninstalled all programs with control and re-installed only one and it still doesn't listen the rpm doesn't change based on my inputs. It for sure is a hidden program doing this as it is a temperature based ramp up and down as when not under load it doesn't do this, any idea of where this is controlled ? BIOS maybe?
Its either a motherboard BIOS level control or something is wrong with the BIOS on the card itself. A longshot idea but it could be corrupted / conflicting drivers.

judedalla

Reputable
Sep 15, 2017
So I have been testing all your ideas with no success, However i can seem to control the fans on my Gpu its all fine until it hits 70 Degrees then it ramps up past 100% .