[SOLVED] Faulty GPU?

Jan 6, 2022
3
1
15
0
Hello everyone, about a couple of months ago my pc started doing this strange thing that whenever i turned it on it shows the asus logo, followed by the windows loading logo as always and then my monitor stops receiveng image, and that lasts about 8 to 30 minutes, sometimes even longer, and i know it's just the image that doesn't work because i can hear spotify in the background if i press the multimedia keys, but after waiting the image gets back again, but sometimes it
just doesn't come back even after waiting more than an hour.

This no-image thing occurs randomly, but i would say that it happens 60% of all the times i turn the pc on, but in the other 40% i get like this strange resolution with the windows logo, and then it shows the desktop with the correct resolution ...strange.
Also i get some flickering from time to time, and no image when i open some games in fullscren, but this happens a lot less.

This problem ocurred out of nowhere but i thought that it was related with my previous power suply, i had an old thermaltake 500w without certification and upgraded into a DeepCool 600w 80 plus bronze, which i thought it solved the problem for about a couple of days until it came back.

I've already tried with a diferent monitor (in the same vga output) and had the same problem, but i have another monitor from another pc in my house that has both DP and VGA sockets, and when i connect it through the DP it shows the image perfectly, but with the VGA it has the same problem.
So that makes me think in two conclusions:

1) i have connected a VGA-DVI adapter to my graphics card since it dosn't have a VGA outlet, so this cheap adapter that i bought might be the problem.

2) it could be that for some reason my pc wants to show the main screen through the display port even when it's not connected, maybe? idk

If it's the last conclusion and there's a quick solution for this it would be awesome since i've already spent too much in this new PSU and can't realy afford a new adapter.

Here's a list of things that i've tried that didn't work (i'll be updating this):
  • Updating the BIOS
  • Clearing the CMOS
  • Reinstalling the graphics drivers
  • Cleaning all the cable's tips from dust and plugging them tightly
  • Cleaning the dust from my graphic card (the PCI slot too)
  • Trying with multiple different cables
Specs:
Motherboard: prime B350M-A
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
Ram: (X2) 4gb Team T-Force Vulcan
GPU: Radeon Aorus RX 580 8gb
Power Suply: DeepCool 600w 80plus Bronze
Monitor: Samsung 20" LCD 2033SN (VGA) With VGA to DVI adapter
 

DRagor

Illustrious
But what can i do? Do i have to deal with this everyday?
I cant buy a new monitor right now :c
I'm afraid there are no good solutions to your problem. Best of course is new monitor as it solves it permanently. New adapter, if you can find a high quality one, might help for some time. The problem is in finding such good model. (And before you ask, never used them so can't recommend any particular unit)
 

DRagor

Illustrious
1) i have connected a VGA-DVI adapter to my graphics card since it dosn't have a VGA outlet, so this cheap adapter that i bought might be the problem.
Adapters are always a problem. Even if you buy new one it could behave same way after not a long time.
2) it could be that for some reason my pc wants to show the main screen through the display port even when it's not connected, maybe? idk
Nope, that does not happen.

Using monitor that only have VGA input is going to be pain these days, unfortunately.
 
Jan 6, 2022
3
1
15
0
Adapters are always a problem. Even if you buy new one it could behave same way after not a long time.

Using monitor that only have VGA input is going to be pain these days, unfortunately.
But what can i do? Do i have to deal with this everyday?
I cant buy a new monitor right now :c
 

DRagor

Illustrious
But what can i do? Do i have to deal with this everyday?
I cant buy a new monitor right now :c
I'm afraid there are no good solutions to your problem. Best of course is new monitor as it solves it permanently. New adapter, if you can find a high quality one, might help for some time. The problem is in finding such good model. (And before you ask, never used them so can't recommend any particular unit)
 
Jan 6, 2022
3
1
15
0
I'm afraid there are no good solutions to your problem. Best of course is new monitor as it solves it permanently. New adapter, if you can find a high quality one, might help for some time. The problem is in finding such good model. (And before you ask, never used them so can't recommend any particular unit)
Ok, i understand.

Well at least it's not a serious issue with my gpu because that would suck, i'll se what i can do now that i know it's the adapter.

Thanks for the help!
 
Reactions: DRagor

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS