[SOLVED] Faulty PSU/not enough wattage?

Elprokan

Prominent
Aug 3, 2020
Hey, so I have this issue. My PC occasionally turns off. Sometimes it's twice per day and other times I can use it for days without an issue. I had this "incident" few days ago when I tried to turn it back on instantly after a shutdown but it started to smell like burning rubber and smoke came out of the top of my pc. I also heard some weird cracking noises ( maybe something to do with currents and voltages?) , so I let it be for the rest of the day and literally disassembled everything the following day. Strangely enough I wasn't able to find any visible damage on anything. I suspected my PSU but I didn't see anything wrong, burnt or damaged when I disassembled it. So I tried to turn it back on and it worked. I checked temperatures just to be sure, but everything was normal so I'm a bit confused. One more thing that might be relevant to this. I had 590rx before but I had to RMA it twice because when I played games that were really gpu demanding, my pc just turned off for some reason. Could there be a connection? Maybe my psu is not able to provide enough wattage? Just guessing I have no knowledge about psu. The model I have is Corsair CX600W 80+ bronze.
Rest of my spec:
GTX 1650 Super
B550 Plus
Ryzen 5800x
2x 8GB ram

Solution
definitely a PSU problem. replace asap with a higher end model. the CX line from Corsair is notoriously "meh" to "crap". The RMX line is leagues better
Hey, so I have this issue. My PC occasionally turns off. Sometimes it's twice per day and other times I can use it for days without an issue. I had this "incident" few days ago when I tried to turn it back on instantly after a shutdown but it started to smell like burning rubber and smoke came out of the top of my pc. I also heard some weird cracking noises ( maybe something to do with currents and voltages?) , so I let it be for the rest of the day and literally disassembled everything the following day. Strangely enough I wasn't able to find any visible damage on anything. I suspected my PSU but I didn't see anything wrong, burnt or damaged when I disassembled it. So I tried to turn it back on and it worked. I checked temperatures just to be sure, but everything was normal so I'm a bit confused. One more thing that might be relevant to this. I had 590rx before but I had to RMA it twice because when I played games that were really gpu demanding, my pc just turned off for some reason. Could there be a connection? Maybe my psu is not able to provide enough wattage? Just guessing I have no knowledge about psu. The model I have is Corsair CX600W 80+ bronze.
Rest of my spec:
GTX 1650 Super
B550 Plus
Ryzen 5800x
2x 8GB ram
yup, this could be the psu, it's an old CX600. try to swap it with another good psu and see if the problem still presists.

Aug 10, 2021
definitely a PSU problem. replace asap with a higher end model. the CX line from Corsair is notoriously "meh" to "crap". The RMX line is leagues better

Solution

Elprokan

Prominent
Aug 3, 2020
Ok an update, now I am really confused, borrowed 750W corsair tx 80 gold+ and it happened again, but now when i try to turn my pc back on, every time I click on power button I hear click noise and nothing will happen. Again my cpu and gpu temps were fine before, and rgb on mobo is still working. Also tried to unplug gpu before powering up pc, but it did not help.

Elprokan

Prominent
Aug 3, 2020
Another weird update, I used old PSU and it turned on... or rather it was able to power it for the first time and then I switched back to my new psu and it is working again, except power button only works for turning it on not off... I am so confused...

Elprokan

Prominent
Aug 3, 2020
the power button was on my part, one cable was loose, it is working now but for how long.. if motherboard is damaged I would expect it not working at all now, but it is for now... I used different extension cord if it's current issue, but I am out of ideas

the power button was on my part, one cable was loose, it is working now but for how long.. if motherboard is damaged I would expect it not working at all now, but it is for now... I used different extension cord if it's current issue, but I am out of ideas

I've had motherboards with failing caps sometimes power on, sometimes not, shut down. Computer parts aren't typically "either works or it doesn't" TBH.

Look over your motherboard for any caps with a swollen top.

Reactions: MikeyMarin