Build Advice Feedback on build/PC

Apr 22, 2019
Hello! (Apologies if this is the wrong section of the forum, please feel free to move or tell me to post it elsewhere)

I recently got some nice feedback on another part of this forum but was hoping to get some overall feedback from the community on this new PC I'm building. For starts, while primarily a gaming PC for myself I do use things like photoshop and dreamweaver and I used to do video editing but the last comp. I built wasn't able to handle it (I assume due to RAM issues but perhaps not because even after I increased it, it still had lag issues). With that said, while I don't know I'll video edit often it'd be nice to dip my hands back into it if I desire. Some games I play for comparison are things like FFXIV (primarily as of late) and Monster Hunter World. Nier Automata, etc. Lots of large open world RPG elements with flashy effects.

Originally the computer I built years ago was intel-based but I thought about trying the new AMD Ryzen (cheaper plus less CPU usage seemed like a good direction to me) and after countless comparison videos (with lots of racing games that proceeded to make me motion sick) I think I've got a decent build but I'd like everyone's feedback on what can be improved/if this is a good choice for my preferences, etc.

Here's an Amazon Link to the list of components I've picked
and here's the computer case!

The M.2 will house the OS system while the HDD will be the primary hard drive. I'm still looking into maybe the best RAM to put in with this? As well as decent fans (though I have noctura on the side thought wise despite its ugly brown color).

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
You could do something like this.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.49 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP - EX920 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Constellation ES 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock - Radeon RX 570 8 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($86.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - X2 GP-12 (Black) 52.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($13.01 @ Amazon)
Total: $919.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-23 14:05 EDT-0400

Reactions: ocer9999
Apr 22, 2019
I wouldn't say I have a budget more-so that I'm just slowly saving over time for whatever I need. It's not something I'll be investing in right now but slowly building toward. So if there's something coming out in the near future that may be better, those can be suggested too.

As for storage, is there any reason to pick WD Blue over Black? Several forums I've read up on WD in general state that Black overall is better for gaming and/or preformance(?). Unless I'm missing out on something.

The WD Blue that is listed here is a SSD whereas the WD Black that you had chosen at the same capacity is a HDD. https://www.anandtech.com/show/10741/the-western-digital-blue-1tb-ssd-review Sadly that review doesn't show HDD performance, but the difference is massive. In what I put together you would have your OS and Applications on the NVMe drive, Games on the SATA SSD, and movies, downloads, music, etc... on the HDD.

Apr 22, 2019
I have a Samsung 500GB SSD sitting around at home which I was planning to use for applications/games/etc on it and the HDD primarily as a regular file holder. The M.2 was primarily just to use for the OS so I can do clean windows installs as needed without having to relocate/backup information prior to it. This thread I'd asked for information on that stuff which was primarily why I went with those storage devices since others had been kind enough to also lend advice in that regard. Would the blue SSD still be better? Since I'm hoping to keep the M.2 as OS only.

As for the RAM are there any good 32GB ones to suggest? Or is that even enough. Since personal experience was even with the 16GB RAM I have it struggled really hard with video editing that I ended up frustrated and dropping that as a hobby. Is there a specific minimum that you or others are aware of for video editing?

In general is there any reason for those motherboards/parts over the ones I picked? Not so much questioning judgement as I'd like to know/educate myself for future reference why those were picked over others.

Thank you for all your help, though as it is!

For basic bulk file storage there isn't any reason to get a WD Black HDD. You pay a huge premium for what is now considered marginally better performance and unneeded for what it will be storing. The WD Blue SSD vs Samsung 850 Evo is a wash in terms of performance, but the WD Blue tends to be cheaper. It all will come down to how much storage do you think you are going to need for the applications, games, and using the SSD for the video editing. The motherboard I selected was just due to price and experience with ASRock motherboards. It does have 2 m.2 so you can have one PCIe and one SATA in it. For most people 16GB is currently enough RAM, but if you are feeling a squeeze then going 32GB isn't a bad idea. Video editing and running VMs takes up RAM quite quickly. Make sure what you get is a 2x16GB pair and DDR4 3000 or faster. The overall performance gain for Ryzen 2000 series on RAM over DDR4 3000 is minimal. If you aren't worried about having a bunch of RGB lights the Fractal Design Define S is a beautiful case that can be had without a window on it. All the panels have sounds dampening material so the systems are almost silent.

Apr 22, 2019
Okay!! Thank you so much for all the information! I'm still pretty new to it all so this helps clear up a lot. I'll definitely be tossing around storage devices and looking into ASRock, I don't know many people who build their own so I've been relying on reviews on sites which tend to be 50/50 a lot of the times.