Fermi Heading to Laptops With GTX 480M?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Well tbh when are you gonna need a laptop with that much power? last years models would be able to play any game but then they wouldn't have DX11

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I predict a whopping 15mins of battery life and burning sensation in my pants as the GPU burns a hole through them.[/citation]
This is true, but at least we know for certain it can play Crysis at 16x AA and 16x AF at 2x1080p...

Or can it?

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Battery life doesn't matter to desktop replacement computers, what really matters is how hot the cards get.

High end laptops with the mobility 5870 run luckwarm, reaching temps slightly above human heat (notebookreview displays it pretty clearly in many product reviews).

But Fermi runs at almost the boiling point of water. Assuming that the cards are half as hot, it would still be around 50 degrees at your fingertips. Not to mention the fact that it can harm the other parts of the machine because of the lack of real estate for airflow!

Bad. Idea.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Even with optimus it seems an under-clocked version of this will consume too much battery power. It doesnt make sense to have a GPU w a higher TDP than a CPU.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Battery life doesn't matter to desktop replacement computers, what really matters is how hot the cards get.High end laptops with the mobility 5870 run luckwarm, reaching temps slightly above human heat (notebookreview displays it pretty clearly in many product reviews).But Fermi runs at almost the boiling point of water. Assuming that the cards are half as hot, it would still be around 50 degrees at your fingertips. Not to mention the fact that it can harm the other parts of the machine because of the lack of real estate for airflow!Bad. Idea.[/citation]
The faster your laptop breaks, the sooner you will buy a new one...

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

I've been using a notebook computer as a desktop replacement for over three years... If you are not a gamer and needed the mobility like I did than it makes sense to get a good GPU and CPU. Even through my computer is old it can play anything(1080p or Any applications) except for games.

BUT fremi + notebook computer is a fail they will have to under-clock it to get that TDP down around 50W and who knows how it will perform after that much under-clocking.

The i7's for notebooks TDP is only 45W........

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I predict a whopping 15mins of battery life and burning sensation in my pants as the GPU burns a hole through them.[/citation]
Have you heard it comes with a Coleman and a battery back-pack?

:D

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]AsianJetlag[/nom]LOL.Battery life with Fermi in a laptop: less than windows boot time.Why buy a desktop PC in a laptop form factor?[/citation]
I think it's pretty obvious that this will not use the gf100 GPU... for all those cracking jokes. I've heard rumors that the GTX 480m will use the upcoming gf104, the same GPU that will be incorporated into GTS 450. Specs include 256 SP, a 256-bit mem interface, and up to 2 GB GDDR5.

No word on die size, transistor count, or power consumption yet... but somehow I have serious doubts a GPU like that can be kept below 100W without under-clocking way below desktop versions.

One of these in alienware laptops (or whatever you want to call them) and the true alienware name will be justified.. This is seriouslly 'OF THE ALIEN! BY THE ALIEN!! FOR THE ALIEN!!!'

Status
Not open for further replies.