Question File size differences between my desktop PC and my laptop ?

universalrule

Prominent
Jul 3, 2023
I just found something is very wrong. The file sizes on my external SSD are completely different between my desktop PC and the laptop. Here are the screenshots :

The first one is from the desktop PC and the second one is from the laptop. As you can see, it's the same drive, but the file size on the desktop looks wrong. I have no idea why it happens. I've never seen it before I got this new desktop PC several months ago. As far as I know, the file size should be the same on any computer with the same OS.

Furthermore, I also checked it with the Windows built-in file explorer and the result is the same.
I assume that it's because of the CPU.
Here are the specs of the desktop and the laptop:

- Desktop -
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400F 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
OS Windows 10 64bit 22H2

- Laptop -
Processor 4th Gen AMD Ryzen 5800H 3.2 GHz
Installed RAM 40.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
OS Windows 10 64bit 22H2

Why does it happen, and what is the solution?

Last edited by a moderator:

universalrule

Prominent
Jul 3, 2023

Ralston18

Titan
As posted above there are a number of reasons for the differences.

Take a look and compare the Desktop and Laptop folder/files sizes using PowerShell's Get-ChildItem cmdlet.

FYI:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-get-folder-size-using-powershell-in-windows

https://powershellfaqs.com/get-size-of-folder-in-powershell/

(You can easily find other similar links and tutorials. Do not be tempted to download any offered apps, tools, or utilities.)

Likely that there will be some of same issues and concerns as have been mentioned.

However, you are directly using a Microsoft utility and not third party tools.

Just make use of simple Get-ChildItem cmdlets.

For the most part you can simply copy a cmdlet from the source and paste the cmdlet into PowerShell.

Compare Desktop and Laptop results.