Files and settings transfer wizard problem? Please help me!

Mac

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi,

I saved my OE messages and settings using the XP files and settings transfer
wizard so I can put it back on my laptop after a XP clean install! That was
last night and I successfully saved the settings on 1GB SD card. I am
trying to transfer it to the Laptop and it asks my to insert disk #1, when I
click ok it says that this is not the correct disk! The backed up data are
on the SD card which is a file called "USMT2IMG"!

I used this wizard many times in the past but I always saved my stuff on a
hard drive partition and never had a problem with it! This time I used the
SD card but that is not working! Please help me get my data back, please!
The stuff I had on it is really hard to replace and would cost me a lot,
possible my job! Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi Mac,

Have you tried copying the backup file over to the hard drive, then
importing from there?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mac" <0678768@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I saved my OE messages and settings using the XP files and settings
> transfer
> wizard so I can put it back on my laptop after a XP clean install! That
> was
> last night and I successfully saved the settings on 1GB SD card. I am
> trying to transfer it to the Laptop and it asks my to insert disk #1, when
> click ok it says that this is not the correct disk! The backed up data are
> on the SD card which is a file called "USMT2IMG"!
>
> I used this wizard many times in the past but I always saved my stuff on a
> hard drive partition and never had a problem with it! This time I used the
> SD card but that is not working! Please help me get my data back, please!
> The stuff I had on it is really hard to replace and would cost me a lot,
> possible my job! Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Try copying from the SD card to the hard drive and then see if it will work.

steve

"mac" <0678768@00000hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I saved my OE messages and settings using the XP files and settings
> transfer
> wizard so I can put it back on my laptop after a XP clean install! That
> was
> last night and I successfully saved the settings on 1GB SD card. I am
> trying to transfer it to the Laptop and it asks my to insert disk #1, when
> click ok it says that this is not the correct disk! The backed up data are
> on the SD card which is a file called "USMT2IMG"!
>
> I used this wizard many times in the past but I always saved my stuff on a
> hard drive partition and never had a problem with it! This time I used the
> SD card but that is not working! Please help me get my data back, please!
> The stuff I had on it is really hard to replace and would cost me a lot,
> possible my job! Thanks in advance.

Mac

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I did, it does not work! If you do that the wizard uses different name for
the backup file and there is a "status" file that is usually there but
Unfortunately, I don't have that file so I can't backup directly from the
hard drive! Thanks.

>I did, it does not work! If you do that the wizard uses different name for
>the backup file and there is a "status" file that is usually there but
>Unfortunately, I don't have that file so I can't backup directly from the
>hard drive! Thanks.

After you save to the hard drive, remove the read only attribute from each
file.
See:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm

SavagePenguin

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
This is a common problem.

The "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" software on your new computer is a different version than the one used to backup the Files & Settings.

Luckily, there is an easy fix for this.

Insert the Windows XP CD from your original PC into the new computer.
Click the "Perform additional tasks" option.
Click the "Transfer files and settings" option.

If you had upgraded the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard software on your old PC the CD may not work. In that case, you may just need to upgrade the software on your new PC.

I repair computers for a living, so I have several versions of XP on CD. If one doesn't work, I just try another. So if you get stuck, hit up your friends and see if their XP CD's have the right version of software.

yolandacharm

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
I have a similar problem in that i backed up my husbands laptop with files and transfers settings wizard, saved the file on my laptop, then mine had to be backed up and the stuff put back on and now my husbands files and transfer settings file is coming up with this
IMG00001.DAT
and the files and transfer wizard on his laptop won't recognise it.
Please help, all his really important stuff including songs he wrote are on it! :(

rockt111

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
this works.TRUST ME follow my instructions ..wizard creates a folder that is path generated( the from and the to path must be the same)
the answer is to trick the paths into believing they are the same.
1st use the wizard to create a new folder on your new comp.(tell the wizard it's from your old comp.) send it to the desktop.
2nd delete the files in the folder you just created.
3rd copy the files from the old wizard( files only) and paste them in the new file you created.(make sure they are in numerical order)
4th now tell the wizard that you are transfering to the new comp.(on the desktop) done!!. restart your comp each step to insure
the info is in the registry. this proceedure works( sometimes you might have to repeat thes steps, because for some reason
the path trigger switch doe's not reset.

pjr

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
I have been looking for help for similar problem all over the net. I don't care how long it takes just want my info back.
I used FAST and stored my files and settings on a removable HD. After a clean install of my XP again with SP2, I was unable to get my data back.
I keep getting the following error- the location you specified does not contain stored information. please type a valid folder path into the edit box.
My information is there. My external HD is fat32 and XP NTFS, if that makes a difference.
I have tried using Fast conv, but to no avail. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Signed,
ready to give up
real disappointed with Microsoft and lack of support.pjr43@hotmail.com

rockt111

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
if you would do as i have written you will solve your problem. the folder path
is generated by the wizard and is dependent on several factors.that is why
if you create a new folder by wizard and replace the files inside the folder, it
will respond. stop thinking and do what is in my previous post..thank me lated.. Stranger..(damn it)

rockt111

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
because you are so in need of your files..you can email me and i will walk
you through(see site admin for details) stranger ..ps. I like the name "Stranger" damn it

rockt111

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
I am a I.T. and I'm telling all of you to forget the heavy answers to this problem( such as insert this, do this, use this code, etc..)i did all that dumb
**** my first year of college... Stop it.. use my post

J-R0d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009

I had the same issue.
I tried to run the import from a portable usb drive, no luck.
I upgraded the transfer wizard with the Microsoft patch, again, no luck.
I tried to copy the files over from the drive to the PC, no luck.
I ran the wizard on the "new" pc, and said it was the old PC. I created the export file at the root of the C drive. I coped the files over into that directory, and still had no luck.

So, I followed the instruction above about creating the export file on the desktop. I did so, and copied over the export files into that directory, and this time the wizard worked. The only thing I did not do was copy the old status file. I only copied the .DAT files. But, it worked, and the import ran. I am unsure why it took running the export out to the desktop, but I cannot argue with success at this point.

dwaldmann

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
I am having no luck. I started at the place most of the people on here start - the wizard wouldn't recognize that the file(s) were in the right place. I did the procedure of creating a new transfer file on the desktop of the new computer and copied the old DAT file to that folder after deleting the new one. I had to use the new STATUS file, or it wouldn't work either.

Ok, great. I thought. It started "Transfer in progress, Organizing your files and settings". It goes through about 1/3 of the progress bar, and then says "Undoing changes to your computer" and then I get "An error occured while the wizard was loading your data."

I tried it twice with the file I first put on the new local hard drive, and then re-copied from the USB flash drive where I stored it originally. No luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

David

e_z_minded_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
dwaldmann, you're doing it slightly wrong... from your description, it sounds as if you're deleting the new "folder" that the wizard creates on your desktop.

Follow these steps, as I have cleared them up a bit for you to follow but all credits go to rockt111:

1: Use the File and Settings Wizard to save the files and create a new folder on your new computer.

** NOTE: ** Tell the wizard that you are currently using your old computer and save it somewhere convienent such as your desktop.

2: Delete the files INSIDE the folder you just created.

** NOTE: ** DO NOT delete the "status" file, leave it in place.

3: Copy the files from the backup you created with the old comp/wizard (files only "*.dat", not the "status" file) and paste them in the new folder location you created.

4: Now tell the wizard that you are using the new computer and choose the location you created in step #1.

If you followed these direction EXACTLY, you will successfully transfer the files and settings from your old backup to your new computer.

dwaldmann

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
e_z_minded - sorry, but even if it wasn't clear, that is exactly what I did...

However, I had decided to copy My Documents additionally, so at least I had that. The only thing I really lost of any importance was the Address Book, and there is a copy of at least most of it on GMail.

CopyMan011254

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008

Hey all...IT WORKED FOR ME, although a bit confusing to understand! I give clarification credit to the other guy (e_z_minded_guy on 10-22-2009 @ 3:07:51am) that retyped it and gave credit to rock111~ Thanks for the tips!

CopyMan011254

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
This is what I sent to rock111 "Hey all...IT WORKED FOR ME, although a bit confusing to understand! I give clarification credit to the other guy (e_z_minded_guy on 10-22-2009 @ 3:07:51am) that retyped it and gave credit to rock111~ Thanks for the tips!"

thebutlersdidit

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009

David - did you ever get the fix to work?

Sam

skystepper

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I also am having the same problem.. I was running XP SP3 when I did the original transfer files.. to an SD card, I then formatted to a clean install and now the file transfer will not work.. I have tried the above solution and it is not working.. before or after I upgraded to SP3 on the new install.

if anyone can really help me out here as my wife told me I shouldn't do a full format cause i was gonna lose all our e-mails and contacts..

Someone please help me prove her wrong :p

I tried the above method, didn't work for me. I even rebooted between steps. No luck.

The following is my last desperate try and worked.

1. On new computer, tell the wizard this is the old computer and create a new archive. Close the wizard.

2. Open the wizard, tell the wizard this is the new computer and restore. Once the restore process starts, click cancel and confirm. Close the wizard

3.Replace the .dat files in the new archive with the old files. Don't replace the status file.

4. Open the wizard, tell the wizard this is the new computer and restore.

This lucky try saved me, hope it will work for you too.

Bajagirl

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I did what you said, and it worked up to the point when the wizard said I didn't have enough space on my hard drive. My transfer was 268GB from a 300GB hard drive. The hard drive I put it on in the first place is a 1TB. So now I am stuck, because it is on my C: drive desktop, but it is taking up all the space. Any ideas for this? I am pulling my hair out at this point. Thank you for your precious time.

waco

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
My problem is slightly different. When I use the wizard to transfer files to the new computer, it recognizes the folder and starts to 'organize' but about one hour into that stage it stops running and will not respond to anything, forcing me to stop the process via the task manager. I have tried several times and even tried to trick it with rockt111's trick but the results are the same - the wizard stops responding about one hour into the operation. Any ideas?

HARLE

I tried the above method, didn't work for me. I even rebooted between steps. No luck.

The following is my last desperate try and worked.

1. On new computer, tell the wizard this is the old computer and create a new archive. Close the wizard.

2. Open the wizard, tell the wizard this is the new computer and restore. Once the restore process starts, click cancel and confirm. Close the wizard

3.Replace the .dat files in the new archive with the old files. Don't replace the status file.

4. Open the wizard, tell the wizard this is the new computer and restore.

This lucky try saved me, hope it will work for you too.

thank you it worked. I had tried everything. It is step 2 creating and starting a new file transfer file and then cancelling it and then step 3 copying the DAT files into the new USMT2.UNC folder .