First CPU Overclock i5-2500k

nave_

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Hey guys I just did my first CPU overclock. I booted up the bios and changed the multiplier to 40, so I guess I am running at 4 Ghz now. I am running Prime 95 and stressing my computer; Speccy shows an average temperature of 48-52 Degrees Celsius. I did not mess with any voltage settings or anything, just strictly changed the multiplier.

So my question is this: Is it safe to run at this speed 24/7? I have a CM 212+ and my temperatures are shown above. Also, since this is my very first overclock, I am a little nervous. Should I be?

Yes, it is perfectly safe to run at 4.0GHz, assuming your CPU voltage isn't too high. Those temps are good.

Where is the CPU speed still showing 3.3GHz? Windows itself won't acknowledge the overclock, so it will always show 3.3GHz. As long as programs like CPU-Z show the overclock when the CPU is loaded, you're running at the overclocked speed.

When running Prime95, what does your CPU voltage read as? It should be around 1.25v or so.

nave_

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Yeah I see that now :p. The voltage is 1.28. I assume that's ok?

Also, is it normal for the Core Speed on CPU-Z to fluctuate from 1 to 4?

That voltage is a tiny bit on the high side, but still okay.

What do you mean the speed is fluctuating? You mean that each core has a different speed? Or do you mean that it's going down to 1.6GHz when idle?

nave_

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Yes, 1.6 when idle. Should I bring the voltage down or what? Is it safe?

The CPU is designed to automatically under-clock and under-volt itself at idle, so that's working normally.

Technically you have already voided the warranty just by changing the multiplier from Auto. But don't worry, you aren't going to fry the CPU at 4.0GHz. I'm running mine at 4.8GHz with much higher voltage and it's still going strong (had it since late January).

Just to make sure it's stable, I recommend running Prime95 for eight hours (easiest is overnight). If you don't have any errors during that time and your temps are reasonable (no higher than 75ºC), then you're good to stay at that speed long-term.