FIRST LOOK OF AM2 MOTHERBOARD

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
Well, it features Nvidia's new MCP55 chipset.

Here's the link from the Inquirer:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29451

This might mean that AMD is on the track with M2, AM2 transition...

Once more this sentence validates my statement in some other thread that AMD is free to launch their AM2 infrastructure any time they want, but once more, they don't need to because current processors are still competitive with Intel's offrerings. :wink:

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I'm begining to suspect that there's some kind of intention behind those pointless comments of yours... Is there?

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
I'm begining to suspect that there's some kind of intention behind those pointless comments of yours... Is there?

No, I'm not. Why are you saying that?????

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

RichPLS

Champion
Once more this sentence validates my statement in some other thread that AMD is free to launch their AM2 infrastructure any time they want, but once more, they don't need to because current processors are still competitive with Intel's offrerings.

Bullshit! If they could release it on time, they would and gain market share...
There are solid reasons why it is being pushed back, obviously it is problems due to design, trying to hurry as fast as they can reasonably go to get it ready for mainstream... and the more delays, the more the indicators are that something is not right...

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I posted my opinion on the "AMD postponed AM2 because it can" scenario on the Intel + Apple thread. I don't believe Bullshitter responded to it so I'll post it again. I know people may not care much for my opinion, but it seems sensible to me so here it is:

Personally, the use of "because they can" as the reason for the AM2 delay doesn't seem reasonable. The problem with the reason is the fact that the AM2 delay puts its launch right on top of the Merom family launch. Even if we assume that AM2 will still maintain the performance lead over Intel, we can generally agree that the performance lead won't be as great as it currently is with the P4. AMD's power and heat lead will be similarly reduced or eliminated. With AMD no longer having a clearly outperforming chip that can sell itself, AMD will have to out market Intel. Now Intel may be a poor chip designed, but they certainly are a good marketer either due to good strategy, which can be debated, or by sheer amounts of money that they can throw out. Why would AMD put themselves in a position where they have to try to fight for the same TV time or newspaper space?

Marketing isn't the only issue. Intel can also outprice AMD if need be. AM2 will still be using the 90nm process while Intel will be using 65nm. Merom is also the 2nd generation on the 65nm and by Q3 the yields would have improved enough to surpass Intel's current 90nm process. It isn't just the processor either. By Q3, Intel will be double transitioning their chipsets from 130nm to 90nm and from 200mm wafers to 300mm wafers. The wafer transition alone increases die production by 240% and reduces energy costs by 40%. AMD may have better performance, but if Intel cuts their prices and the chipsets can easily sustain a 50% cut, AMD will have a hard time competing.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20051124214142.html

It would make much more sense for AMD to launch as originally planned in April. That way they can do it on their own terms and market at will. Even if they don't have the initial volumes at launch, by the time Intel launches a few months later AM2 would have been mature, the market would have accepted it, and the prices would have dropped and stabilized. AMD could then easily evaluated Merom's performance and release faster processors as needed on their already proven platform. This would give them a much better market condition.

If there was a technical glitch or other hard reason to postpone the AM2 launch then of course AMD was justified. However, the "they did it because they can" argument just doesn't fly with me. AMD has the advantage right now. Why would they sit around, if they have the product ready, when they can just as easily lead the market and maintain their lead?

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
Bullshit! If they could release it on time, they would and gain market share...
There are solid reasons why it is being pushed back, obviously it is problems due to design, trying to hurry as fast as they can reasonably go to get it ready for mainstream... and the more delays, the more the indicators are that something is not right...

The board you've seen in the link is functional and ready to ship. :wink:

Personally, the use of "because they can" as the reason for the AM2 delay doesn't seem reasonable. The problem with the reason is the fact that the AM2 delay puts its launch right on top of the Merom family launch.

You just answered your own question.

AMD will use AM2 as a spoiler for Intel's launch of their new processor. :wink: [/quote]

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
The board you've seen in the link is functional and ready to ship.
Have you read that Inquirer article you posted?

SOCKET M2 or AM2 motherboards are almost done. At least MSI has sort of finished its one.
The operative words are "almost" and "sort of". It isn't ready to ship yet.

Even if it was basically ready, its doubtful that OEMs have seen much of them. OEM's haven't seen the processors yet anyways.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29346

Sources close to AMD's plan said that Socket M samples are likely to be delivered to its OEM (original equipment manufacturing) customers as early as late February.
If OEMs were getting final chips, then maybe the AM2 platform would be nearly ready to ship. As it stands, OEM's haven't even received samples yet and won't until the end of the month, meaning they have no chips to go with their "sort of finished" motherboards. With OEMs not having all the pieces until the end of February, they would have very little time to integrate all the parts together, test for stability, design systems, build them, and prepare marketing. This is no doubt why a late March launch and April availability was unlikely and therefore postponed.

AMD will use AM2 as a spoiler for Intel's launch of their new processor.
If AM2 had a large performance gap over Conroe and a significant lead in power consumption and heat then it would be a viable spoiler. As it is, if AM2 has the lead it will be fairly small, meaning it won't have much wow factor. It may be a good alternative, but it's doubtful it will come across as a replacement. Making AM2 a spoiler also requires good marketing, however, like a said in my original post, if Intel decides to pump millions into marketing its next-generation families, which is likely considering the changes in every segment, AMD may not be heard above all the noise and buzz.

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Agree.

I don't know why you say "I know people may not care much for my opinion" when, what really matters here, is the quality of the posts.

Marketing issues aside, i find the MSI board very simple, to put it bluntly, considering the step taken into a new... well, socket.
Curiously, what appears to be a 'major' change is the implementation of a single IDE (+ FDD), as if this was the final countdown towards SATA (there are six of them, actually); on the other hand, there still are 3 standard PCI.
The socket seems to sit closer to the DIMMs than in previous boards; and, as for power related issues, there are - just - three power voltage regulators & a plain four-pin, 12V CPU connector. Though it might be a mid-to-low-end MSI solution, it appears that the next AMD CPUs which will be sitting on the M2, will follow AMD's power efficiency requirements...

Cheers!

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
Have you read that Inquirer article you posted?
Yes, I've read it.
It's up to you if you want to think that the board from MSI isn't yet functional and ready.

OEM's haven't seen the processors yet anyways.
Are you sure about that statement??? 8)

Quote:
AMD will use AM2 as a spoiler for Intel's launch of their new processor.

If AM2 had a large performance gap over Conroe and a significant lead in power consumption and heat then it would be a viable spoiler. As it is, if AM2 has the lead it will be fairly small, meaning it won't have much wow factor. It may be a good alternative, but it's doubtful it will come across as a replacement. Making AM2 a spoiler also requires good marketing, however, like a said in my original post, if Intel decides to pump millions into marketing its next-generation families, which is likely considering the changes in every segment, AMD may not be heard above all the noise and buzz.

Well, once again, AMD will use the AM2 launch as a spoiler just the way Intel did when they launched their Pentium "Emergency Edition" against the first Clawhammer set of processors (anyone remember?). :roll:
And about marketing, AMD shouldn't be concerned about that. They do just fine with their type of "guerrilla marketing" against Intel.

People already knows what to expect from a single and dual Athlon 64 processor (performance wyse), the problem here is that people doesn't knows how Merom, Conroe and friends will perform once they see the light of day. All we know from these processors is paper launches and "expected" performance against current Intel offerings (once again, exuberant optimism :wink: ).

I know people may not care much for my opinion...
Why do you believe that??
Maybe, there's something (or someone) that makes you feel that way, but don't you worry, everyone here loves you.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
This is a shout to ltcommander data...

In all your posts you seem to be very blunt in saying things...like..

"I know the reason why AMD isn't releasing their M2's" - Does this mean you work for AMD?

"OEM's haven't even seen M2 socket CPU's yet" - Really? Is that because you are an OEM?

"The architecture of this CPU is designed like this and done like this because of this reason" - Have you seen a CPU at a fabrication plant and talked to the designers?

"The next-gen CPU performance with DDR2 will not be big" - Is that because you've used an M2 socket CPU?

"That M2 MSI motherboard isn't ready yet" - Is that because you work at MSI too and have seen the motherboard and spoke to the company peeps?

There is a huge list I can continue to say, but I will spare everybody. Obviously you seem to be a very educated man (or woman) which is nice, but you seem to come off cocky IMHO and you talk too professional and come off a little arrogant. Maybe you know everything, maybe you know nothing, but from your previous posts I've read, it leads me to conclude you're one interesting character.

P.S. If you're going to respond with "I read that at a website", please say it was a site other than "The Inquirer", which is just as bad as the magazine in print (IT'S BS!).

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I believe you need to directly quote me on my posts since responding to the meaning that you personally inferred from my words is pointless.

For instance,

"I know the reason why AMD isn't releasing their M2's"
I don't believe, that at any point I said that "I know the reason why AMD isn't releasing their M2's". (It should be AM2, btw, hopefully that correction doesn't come across as arrogant). What I was giving is "my opinion" on why the AMD postponed AM2 because it can reason doesn't make sense. I specifically used the words "my opinion" at the beginning of the original post. I'm not sure how you got the words "I know", especially when the original post ended with an open question. I believe my reasoning was very clear in the post and Bullshitter and I have been debating this for quite some time. I would hope I'm not misconveying myself to him.

OEM's haven't even seen M2 socket CPU's yet
As for that line, yes it was quoted from an article by The Inquirer. I know that The Inquirer may not be the most reliable source, however in that case the article I was using was one Bullshitter himself posted on this forum. If he can use that article then I would expect that he generally believes in it's information and since I am replying to him anyways there is no reason why we can't debate over that common ground.

This was the original thread for the article's introduction.
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/AMD-socket-quad-sample-late-February-ftopict173427.html

The architecture of this CPU is designed like this and done like this because of this reason
For this you will have to be more specific, since I can't back up my claims or admit I'm at fault without knowing what specific information I talked about.

That M2 MSI motherboard isn't ready yet
Again, I was just requoting from the same article he himself used to present the motherboard with. Seeing Bullshitter's latest post, we disagree over the interpretation, but there's nothing wrong with that.

you talk too professional and come off a little arrogant
Maybe I do, but I would hope my professional tone comes off better then some other people's run-on sentences and mad rants. When I respond to people's problems, I think they feel a little better when I seem sure of what I am saying. That doesn't mean I can't be wrong of course, and anyone can feel free to correct me.

Maybe you know everything, maybe you know nothing,
I hope I'm a little of both. I don't want to sound all philosophical or even more "arrogant", but it just wouldn't be fun otherwise.

TRENDING THREADS