First new build in years, advice please.

Fenric

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am looking to replace my aging PC of several years. It is an AMD Athlon 64 with a GTX 260 video card. It will run Battlefield 3 with the settings down quite a bit, but the performance is still mediocre. I'm looking at playing Planetside 2 when it launches. I didn't get a chance to play it during the beta, but I have a feeling it will be too much for my system. I also want to get into livestreaming which will up the demand on the system a fair amount I believe.

Anyways, I saw the sticky above and will fill it out.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: I don't know. I don't have to wait, but I can. Is there new hardware coming from a manufacturer soon that could lower prices on existing models? Would there be significant savings if I waited until after the holidays, or for Cyber Monday?

Budget Range: Could be anywhere from 1000-2000. I'm not looking to buy the best of the best out there, I want something that will do what I want it to do, and not pay for more than that.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Livestreaming gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: No.

Parts to Upgrade: I'm wondering if the best idea in my situation might be to use my current PC to capture and encode what the new PC is playing for livestreaming. It would take some stress off the new rig, and get me some use out of the old one instead of giving it away or selling it.

Do you need to buy OS: No.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com will probably be where I order from.

Parts Preferences: The only preference I have here is that the CPU be Intel as I'll be able to get one at a discount.

Overclocking: I have no experience with overclocking so have no idea how to answer this.

SLI or Crossfire: I believe this means running two graphics cards in one system. I don't know that I would need this for what I want to do, and it would increase the cost a good amount.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080.

Additional Comments: The room my PC is in tends to get quite hot in the summer. I haven't had issues with temperatures in my current PC, but it will switch the fans to a higher speed which is quite loud.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current PC is several years old. I've managed getting this far with it because I mostly tend to play MMOs where I can tolerate lower frames. There are some games coming out soon that I want to play that I think I will find nearly unplayable with this system, Planetside 2 being the main one.

I appreciate any advice given or builds recommended. When I built my current system a old friend selected the parts. It has been so long since I designed one myself I don't want to end up with a case that is too small, or RAM that doesn't fit on the motherboard, for example.

Much thanks in advance, and I will probably have more questions later...

Tim

butremor

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
So hey, i made a list for you.
With these parts you can't do overclocking and you won't need to.
i5 is just sweet spot for gaming, i7 brings no benefits.
Video is top notch, you'll be okay for few years.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/oavJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/oavJ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/oavJ/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 560W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($135.71 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ CompUSA)
Total: $934.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-18 05:56 EST-0500)

Andif you're getting everything from newegg it will be Total (8 / 8 Items): $1004.19

Fenric

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
Hello, thanks for the information.

A few thoughts: I don't have any use for 1TB of storage space. My current system has a 500GB HDD and it isn't even half full. A lot of that is older programs I could remove as well. I was thinking to use my old PC for any storage and have a SSD in the new one to help with performance.

I don't really need another DVD drive either, even though they are pretty cheap.

Could you maybe explain why you chose the CPU and graphics card over other choices?

You have no experience with overclocking as you said, so there is no need for the 3570K, which is the overclockable i5. The speed of the i5 is really in the architecture.

The 7970 is one of the best cards out there.

Are you going to be parting out your old computer for parts?

Fenric

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012

Not having experience does not mean I am unwilling to do it. If it is worth doing for performance increases I will learn how.

I have never used an ATI card. That doesn't mean I want to stick with NVIDIA, necessarily.

Regarding my current PC, what I am thinking is to use it with a capture card to livestream gameplay from the new system. Then again, depending on how powerful the new rig is, it might not be necessary at all to do this and actually complicate things. I would probably use a old monitor on the old rig, with my current 24" 1920x1080 on the new system, and a hardware switcher for the input peripherals.

Ok, I looked at a lot of the builds posted here and the recommendations people have made. So far I have come up with the following build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.29 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($479.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 560W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($135.71 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G300 Wired Optical Mouse ($30.57 @ Amazon)
Total: $1238.49
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-18 23:24 EST-0500)

Very much open to any suggestions.

I haven't overclocked in the past but will use this new system to learn how. Have I picked the correct parts to do this, and will I have adequate cooling?

I decided to add in a 1TB HDD to allow space for capturing gameplay with Fraps.

Fenric

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012

I did see that note on the case, however I interpreted it differently. Maybe I am totally off here, but I assumed the motherboard would have a cable connection to the case front USB hub. If the case does not have a 3.0 hub in the front, I thought I would still be able to use the front ports, just not with USB 3.0, which makes no difference to me. There are 3.0 ports on the back should I need them in the future.

Even if USB 3.0 ports are not compatible with older USB devices, Newegg says that this motherboard has 2 USB 1.1/2.0 ports on the rear, which would accommodate a mouse and keyboard.

I would change the PSU but for some reason pcpartpicker does not have the one you recommended. I'll most likely order most or all of the parts from newegg though, so the link is appreciated.

Fenric

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
When you say the card will not fit, I'm assuming you mean the motherboard? From what I can tell by some quick looking, ATX form motherboards fit in ATX Mid cases. There can be space issues depending on the size of video cards and cooling fans though.

I'm just trying to understand why I should buy a case that costs ~$50 more.

Edit: I just looked at the 3 cases you linked again, and they are all also ATX Mid size cases. They just have USB 3.0 support on the front/top ports.

Edit again: I picked out a different NZXT case with USB 3.0 support on the front. It's still an ATX Mid case, though.