First Official AMD Radeon R9 290X Benchmarks

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

semitope

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
a 290x at $500 and a 290 at 400 would be sane. This looks like it's going to be more on the insane side of things though.

I don't think people should be using nvidia as a benchmark for price/performance. Nvidia doesn't give a rats behind about sensible pricing.

I wont fault a company for taking time to fix the issue. I will say that NVidia does deserve respect for fixing the issue so fast but then again, like Intel vs AMD, NVidia is larger and has a larger employee base.

That said, the frame latency has been something that within the past year came more into play and takes time to fix but I also applaud AMD for working on it, even though they have been slow to do it. The most recent betas seem to fix it, but are beta drivers.

Honestly I am mad that they have been lacking on driver updates. They used to have better drivers. When Catalyst came out it was applauded for how good it was. Then again that was ATI, not AMD.

I wish they would all be like Samsung. Samsung sees an issue in the GS4 battery and are offering a free fix without it becoming a big issue.

If it was $500 I would be ok with that. Wait till a model I like comes out and buy it.

That is a dream though as I know how it goes. I didn't pay anything more than $400 for either of the HD7970s I bought. But that was months after release.

redeemer

Distinguished

A fully enabled GK110 will be only 5%faster than the Titan so no Nvidia wont be taking back the crown anytime soon

In the eyes of some performance is king and price takes a distinct second place. You might not share that opinion but then you should also be aware that not everyone shares your opinion.

RussK1

Splendid

I have to agree. While people like me are in the minority, I do tend to look past prices and focus in on performance.

I still think the Titan is seriously over-priced though.

So do I which is why I wouldn't even dream of trying to buy one but having worked for people who are quite happy to spend 250 grand on a bath tub I know that we are but a small part of the words economy.

Those games are very CPU bound so it is very possible that that has something to do with it.

you do know the r9-290/r9-290x is a 100% new gpu right? please save your uninformed comments for /g/

doubt they would put up with it either there, but at least there you'd be anonymously ignorant.

in quiet mode. The fan is only at 43%, if you change your fan profile to max out at 45% at 100C you too would see a 90+ temp in furmark... on pretty much any gpu.

(well, that might not be true. nvidia's drivers detect furmark and intentionally cap their gpu temps at 80C no matter what you do when running it; amd just tells people not to use furmark, frankly no one should be using furmark. it can do some increadible heat damage to gpus)

And those old 480s were atleast 80W more power hungry then the r9-290x... so they still were hotter.

The 480's started out with a broken BIOS and only got really hot with dual monitors attached but even so Legit Reviews recorded them at less than 90c.

file.php

seriously? 80C in what? as i said, nvidia drivers detect furmark so you won't get a max heat stress result from it. and any gpu with an non-gimped fan profile should be somewhat solid in most applications.

did you read what i wrote, or the source? the r9-290x was set to quiet mode, which gimps the fan profile, the fan was only at 43% speed even though the card was 90+C... on top of that, amd apparently claims the card is safe to run all the way up to and past 105C... i find that hard to believe but if true we'll see some youtubes of people boiling water with them. (which will be pretty cool i think)

anyway high temps =/= space-heater. high temps mean inadequate cooling on the card. Those old 480s had some solid coolers. Heck, anyone who's owned an AMD cpu will tell you that though the cpu isn't particularly hot it really heats up their room. That's because it efficient at removing heat from the cpu, transmitting it to the heatsink.

to get a space heater effect you need a high power draw and an efficient heat transfer from the chip to the heatsink. space-heater cards are those that guzzle power. That's why i was pointing out the 480 was an 80W more power hungry card then the 290x. by definition its a better space-heater, as it's got 80W of more energy turning into heat that needs to be dispersed.

No... the 480 will keep it's throne as the hottest card around for a little while longer.

That said i still want to see a 290x boil water. that will be hilarious.

I did read what you wrote, did you read what I wrote? Pre-release BIOS? Dual monitors? The final BIOS pegged the cards at around 75c under full load but the AMD fans wouldn't let it go and if this new AMD card can hit 94c (regardless of circumstance) then I can see the griddle type jibes resurfacing and it will be interesting to see how the AMD fans react when their flagship is on the receiving end.

so? as i said. the temp on the card doesn't translate into how much it will heat up your room or case. its the Watts of power drawn by the card that deturmans how big a spaceheater it is.

Its undeniable that fermi was a space heater design. it guzzled huge amounts of power at pretty much every card level.

CGN is a funky design... their low end chips are actually quite powerful and energy efficient. the whole 77xx lineup is remarkably powerful and very energy efficient (far more so then the kepler 650 lineup). after that point the cards get increasingly more inefficient.

the 79xx lineup and the r9-290x/290. are all quiet inefficient. not on a fermi level but still far more inefficient then the 110 kepler. in the end it's what it is.

Actually that heat will warm up a room as it has to be transferred somewhere, the HSF doesn't make the heat disappear into subspace and as I have a 7790 that is running hotter on the latest drivers than it did on the 13.10 I'm not sold on the GCN is wonderful crap because this card has been nothing but trouble but it is keeping my living room warm at the moment.

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

My oc'd i5 and oc'd 660ti make a great space heater. I have to open a window to cool it down in here.

You should try two of them and a 2600k folding then! :lol:

Don't know but they look like the same ones that are doing the rounds at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.