First Official AMD Radeon R9 290X Benchmarks

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I starting to get extremely sick of the "bad driver" bullcrap that keeps getting propagated.

There is no significant driver problems!
The runt frames issue has been fixed.

So please, take your blind fanboyism and FUD elsewhere

Let's see you convince this guy of that!

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1844426/7950-xfire-problem-strange.html

anthony8989

Distinguished

Yeah way to ignore the core of my statement.By the way that runt frame issue got "fixed" because of FCAT. So thank nVidia for making AMD's drivers better for you.

And why should I take my "fanboyism" elsewhere - there's plenty of AMD-sided crap floating around this particular thread to warrant a little Green party propagation ;) . You guys see 2 collective minutes of AMD selected bench marks with no official pricing details and all of a sudden AMD is king of the hill again? If the card was even a quarter as good as you idiots think it is, they would have launched it like a respectable company instead of this back-room crap.

Maybe if we outlawed NDAs we would have more openness which is a win win to everyone once everyone realizes secrecy doesn't help anything.

And you cannot possible imply that NVidia is a respectable company.
Known for price gouging, physx lockouts and many other bad business practices.

And why should I take my "fanboyism" elsewhere - there's plenty of AMD-sided crap floating around this particular thread to warrant a little Green party propagation
Because this thread is to discuss the launching of new AMD cards, not to claim how superior you think that NVidia is.

You guys see 2 collective minutes of AMD selected bench marks with no official pricing details and all of a sudden AMD is king of the hill again?
Because if it is at reasonable price point, it will provide competition to the GTX780. A win win for both camps because it will drive prices down.

And lets not forget who released drivers which FRIED cards!

And yet you conveniently forget to mention that they also instructed AIB's to replace any cards that got fried, why is that?

The runt/dropped frame issues are absolutely not completely fixed. There's no reason to defend your previous statement. Read any tech sites' review's and they'll tell you the issues are lessened for some titles only. They also called it a step in the right direction but state that AMD still has work to do. Crossfire and Eyefinity both still suffer. The fact that the runt/frame issue has become old news is the only reason people have begun to downplay or forget about it. AMD is glad of this.

I will not consider AMD a competitor in the high-end space until they get the driver issues resolved and tech sites start reporting that this is the case; not just for a couple of titles either. AMD customers need to constantly remind AMD they still haven't completely fixed the issues or AMD will sweep it under the rug for another number of years. I guess if AMD customers are spending less for high framerates, they are more likely to ignore video quality and driver issues because they got a good deal? Or maybe they've never seen the competition in action?

Personally, I won't settle, but apparently enough people will.

Clarify - Are we walking crossfire or single card?

anthony8989

Distinguished

+1 to that. Yeah I know they aren't fixed that's why I put "fixed" in quotations. I'm just going to have to start putting (sarcasm) after my snarky remarks from now on ^_^.

anthony8989

Distinguished

Smeezy, the fixes are isolated to the individual games. So even in single card performance, the driver "fix" is not a blanket-fix.

Crossfire is still somewhat broken but improvement.
I am willing to admit there are still some problems and crossfire is one of them.

Neither brand is perfect.

But the single card frame timing is NOT a problem. It was never a major problem and it has been fixed.

http://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2013-03-25/Skyrim_1920x1080_PLOT.png
http://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2013-03-25/SleepingDogs_1920x1080_PLOT.png

These are before the improvement in 13.8 so crossfire is pretty screwed but you can see there is no problem with single card performance.

Still a crossfire issue and as Anthony8989 has stated, there are still issues with some titles and single gpus. They've definitely made serious progress with single card configurations.

I really want AMD to do well. I want tech sites to say 'Hey dudes! It's really true. AMD is not going to give you these issues any longer.'

I want to be able to get a good deal on great performance. I want AMD to truly be able force the price of Nvidia cards down.

For now, they still have work to do. No matter how great this next gen of hardware is, if AMD doesn't follow up with the drivers that make it function consistently correctly, it's not going to compete. I'd respect AMD a heck of a lot more if they took a step back and said, "You know what? We have this console business wrapped up. Why don't we focus on the drivers prior to releasing another batch of awesome and capable hardware? Until we do that, neither we or our customers can realize the potential of the hardware."

Ok lets end this.

First off, you are being rude. Secondly, he is a mod so show a bit of respect.

Third is he is right. PR slides are just that, PR. AMD took two CPUs to compare the FX 8150 to. A 2600K and a 960 back when it was first coming out. Mainly to show only what they wanted to show, which was it beating them in certain benchmarks. Its called cherry picking.

No company is going to say their product is worse.

And until we see a good amount of games using Mantle that we can pull definitive results from, its all just PR.

AMD wont. Look at the HD7970. It cane out at $600 and was going for $650 on release because it beat the pants off of the GTX580.

If the 290X beats the GTX780, it will be equal to ore more than its price on release.

That's how it goes. The only time they had the better price/performance was when their GPUs were not better. Right now a GTX770 is equal to (overall) a HD7970 so they price it accordingly.

And again, I have a HD 7970GHz so its not bias. Hell the last NVidia I bought was from their 4000 series.

But you need to look at reality, not hope.

It has but AMD has had a recent history of bad drivers and we haven't seen the new hardware on drivers yet.

That said, NVidia has had it too and even recently has had drivers kill GPUs or cause issues with Windows.

It goes both ways. I haven't had any performance issues in any games (Crysis 3, BF4 Beta, TF2 etc.) on my HD7970 but I play single monitor and GPU so I am lucky.

Still a crossfire issue, still an eyefinity issue, and as Anthony8989 has stated, there are still issues with some titles and single gpus. They've definitely made serious progress with single card configurations.

I really want AMD to do well. I want tech sites to say 'Hey dudes! It's really true. AMD is not going to give you these issues any longer.'

I want to be able to get a good deal on great performance. I want AMD to truly be able force the price of Nvidia cards down.

For now, they still have work to do. No matter how great this next gen of hardware is, if AMD doesn't follow up with the drivers that make it function consistently correctly, it's not going to compete. I'd respect AMD a heck of a lot more if they took a step back and said, "You know what? We have this console business wrapped up. Why don't we focus on the drivers prior to releasing another batch of awesome and capable hardware? Until we do that, neither we or our customers can realize the true potential of the hardware."

Still a crossfire issue and as Anthony8989 has stated, there are still issues with some titles and single gpus. They've definitely made serious progress with single card configurations.
Yes crossfire is still iffy at best.
I do suggest NVidia cards when people are planning to run dual GPU although AMD is making some progress which is good.

I am just tired of exaggerating and pulling out old issues that some NVidia fanboys do.
Really as much as I would like to have any piece of hardware guaranteed to have zero issues, it just doesn't work out that way.
There are always the possibilities of issues.
AMD already provides a good deal on performance and keeps NVidia cards down in price. If either went away, the prices would go through the roof.

Overall, the primary reason I am so loyal to AMD is because NVidia uses so many immoral business practices and it does not set well with me.

Its nice to see reasonable answers like those from jimmysmitty

Crossfire is still somewhat broken but improvement.
I am willing to admit there are still some problems and crossfire is one of them.
[/quotemsg]

There seems to be some conflict there, no problems but then you admit to some problems, which is it? Why are you accusing others of fanboyism when your own is so plain to see?

I can respect that. I guess I'm selfish with respect to only considering the product I receive.

I'm seriously considering flipping to an AMD CPU with my next build as their higher-end CPUs seem to be really competing as game developers increasingly utilize more cores/threads.

Please don't get me wrong, I really want choices, but my level of expectations - when it comes to video performance with multiple GPUs - doesn't give me many options when it comes to GPUs.

I can respect that. I guess I'm selfish with respect to only considering the product I receive.

I'm seriously considering flipping to an AMD CPU with my next build as their higher-end CPUs seem to be really competing as game developers increasingly utilize more cores/threads.

Please don't get me wrong, I really want choices, but my level of expectations - when it comes to video performance with multiple GPUs - doesn't give me many options when it comes to GPUs.

So why refer to one driver issue from how many years ago?

There seems to be some conflict there, no problems but then you admit to some problems, which is it? Why are you accusing others of fanboyism when your own is so plain to see?[/quotemsg]
I have never run dual GPU so the crossfire problems don't affect me. I tend to forget about it sometimes.

I am a fanboy - I admit it. Fanboys don't bother me, its blind fanboyism that annoys me.

A driver release should never-ever damage hardware. It should have never made it bast quality control stages.
Perhaps I was a bit hypocritical but permanent damage is a big problem.

I have never run dual GPU so the crossfire problems don't affect me. I tend to forget about it sometimes.

I am a fanboy - I admit it. Fanboys don't bother me, its blind fanboyism that annoys me.

A driver release should never-ever damage hardware. It should have never made it bast quality control stages.
Perhaps I was a bit hypocritical but permanent damage is a big problem.[/quotemsg]

A problem that Nvidia acknowledged and addressed and yet you refuse to credit them for that. And yet driver problems that render cards useless for the purpose for which they were bought for is fine and dandy, why is that OK?

softplacetoland

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Klunt Bumskrint
'Wow, that's balanced. I wonder why they chose 2 AMD Evolved titles! Hahahahahaha'

Hey, hahahahahaha boy, you must be the one of 'The Way It's Meant to be Played' guys, huh?

A problem that Nvidia acknowledged and addressed and yet you refuse to credit them for that. And yet driver problems that render cards useless for the purpose for which they were bought for is fine and dandy, why is that OK?
They had to acknowledge it to save their behind.
No it is not fine and dandy to have problems that effect usability but they are being worked on.
13.8 already reduces the scope of the CF issues.

Getting back on topic, I found more benchmark numbers:
GeForce GTX 780
BioShock
Min: 41
Max: 51
Tomb Raider
Min: 14
Max: 36

R9 290X
BioShock
Min: 47
Max: 61
Tomb Raider
Min: 15
Max: 40
From the land of all things disturbing on the internet (reddit)
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1onv1y/official_r9_290x_benchmarks/

The big difference though is that Nvidia stepped up and took it on the chin within days of the problem surfacing but AMD have taken years to even admit to the problem let alone begin to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.