First Official AMD Radeon R9 290X Benchmarks

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k1DBLITZ

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
Am I the only one that noticed that the current benchmarks are in "quiet mode" and the "balls to the wall" mode is blurred out?

The only problem there is that long term plans don't always work out as well "planned", look at Bulldozer for instance.

k1DBLITZ

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
For all the AMD/Mantle naysayers....your ignorance is showing.
http://community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd-gaming/blog/2013/10/17/the-four-core-principles-of-amd-s-mantle

"Mantle represents years of collaborative effort between the gaming industry and AMD, and it comes at their request. Over the years, game developers have often expressed they long for a more efficient way to harness the power of the GPU on PCs, and for a way to streamline the writing of efficient graphics code on multiple platforms."

Mantle is going to be around for a looooooooong time.

There is even more evidence that suggests as such with Microsoft and it's lethargic relationship with DirectX.

A title being sponsored by AMD or NVidia does not mean that it will also do better as a GPU.

The only game I have seen AMD consistently do better than NVidia is the Dirt series.

Tomb Raider, BS:I can do well on either depending on the actual performance of the card as the 7970 beat the 680 in them but the 780 beat the 7970 a lot in them.

Sometimes they just sponsor it to get their name out there (its a marketing ploy).

These are interesting numbers but considering that the 290X has 30% more SPUs and a larger memory bus controller I would expect 20-30% of a performance increase.

Of course the last time we saw a 512Bit memory bus, we also saw higher power consumption (the HD2900 series had a 512Bit ring bus system for memory).

I'm sorry are we supposed to expect AMD to say anything other than "it's the next best thing to sliced bread", c'mon you're going to have to do better than that mate! :lol:

RussK1

Splendid

I can have my GF donate eggs as well. :lol:

k1DBLITZ

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013

Did you miss the part that says, "and it comes at their request"?

DICE approached AMD, not the other way around.

Seriously, EDUCATE yourself, sir.

http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/battlefield-4-frostbite-3-mantle?from_search=10

Please review the above slides.

tuklap

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Winning the Price to performance crown on the Enthusiast range will definitely make amd a clear winner

With talk of $5 to $8 million changing hands I think I'm edumacted as to who went to who so watch your tone.

According to Battlefield 4 Central, they're reporting that estimates gauge the deal to have fallen within the range of $5 million to $8 million for Electronic Arts' upcoming first-person shooter. It's one of the rare instances where EA wasn't paying out of their own butthole to promote the game, but instead are being paid to have the game promoted for them. Talk about a run of good luck, eh?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/AMD-Paid-Up-8-Million-Battlefield-4-Exclusivity-59832.html

tuklap

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Better performance + Better Hardware and Drivers + Price points = Clear Winner. This should be AMD's formula

this has gotten out of hand with the for/against whatever.... sounds like obama vs romney, iphone vs galaxy etc....

the benchmarks released by toms today didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. lets see some real benchmarks. people want to see what the 290x does compared to titan/780 on battlefield 4(release, not beta), grand theft auto 5, titanfall... and ofcouse the other 3 popular heavy hitters.... ultra modded skyrim, crysis 3, and battlefield 3. and not some at some crappy unreleastic 4k res... less than 2% of computer gamers are gaming at that high res... we want to see 1080/1440p.

k1DBLITZ

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013

You do realize that you make yourself look dumber with every post, right?

It's obvious you didn't review the slides I linked, which I figured as much anyway.

Why should I take any notice of PR slides? Like AMD fans and their reaction to Origin PC dropping AMD cards I don't have to belive anything you or AMD have to say do I? So feel free to to carry on but be careful with the insults as I don't take kindly to them.

lmarianibr

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

k1DBLITZ

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013

You refuse to view them because you know it proves you are wrong.

The slides don't come from AMD.

The slides comes from DICE.

The slides say that DICE has been "talking to graphics vendors for years to solve this." Notice the plurality in graphic. As in not just AMD, it just so happens that AMD is the one that delivered.

DICE CHOSE to collaborate with AMD to help create Mantle. It's what DICE wanted.

Mantle and Frostbite are the foundation for the future, this isn't a one time thing.

And so on and so forth. There is tons of information straight from the horses mouth that blows your theory out of the water.

You can stay in denial all you want, it doesn't change anything.

animalosity

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
"For all that are saying AMD has a winner and nVidia better do something - isn't it AMD that needs to do something? And isn't it too little too late? Hate to say it, but nVidia is sitting pretty."

@ RussK1
Did you really write that? AMD is beating GK 110 with beta drivers and zero tweaks out of the gate. Lets tweak some drivers, add some Mantle and Nvidia can't touch that until 20nm lithography. Anyway, fanboyism aside, let's not forget that both next gen consoles have what products in them? Oh yeah...AMD.....Nvidia will release another GK fully unlocked Titan and charge what? Another grand? Nvidia is most definitely not sitting pretty.

k1DBLITZ

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013

d00d, you still don't get it and it's apparent you're too stubborn/lazy to view the slides.

Have fun in the land of make believe.

k1DBLITZ

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013

I don't think a lot of these people understand how much of a game changer Mantle is just yet.

Bare metal access is 9 times faster than utilizing DirectX for draw functions.

Unless NVIDIA can release a video card that is 9 times faster than the Titan, they won't be able to compete with GCN Radeon cards running Mantle enabled titles.

LOL No
It doesn't magically make it 9x faster.

It will lower overhead which should increase framerate but certainly not 9x unless you have a really bad CPU

I just don't see a proprietary interface taking off.
And I am NOT a NVidia fanboy

k1DBLITZ

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013

No one said it made it "magically" 9 times is faster.

It's 9 times faster because it's near bare metal access and not through a bloated API (directX) that is designed for compatibility over speed.

It's not a proprietary interface. It will be leveraged by PS4, Xbox One, and GCN Radeon cards.The only one left out in the cold (at least initially) is nVIDIA. You know, the same ones who were laughing at AMD over the console architecture wins? Seems a bit more important now in the big scheme of things, doesn't it?

You guys really need to do your research before shooting from the hip with some half baked theory.

Until it's been tried and tested in more than one title and has a bit of mileage under it's belt any success is just speculation, I know that's not what you want to believe but that's the facts and most of the folks here know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.