First Official AMD Radeon R9 290X Benchmarks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilGeniusBC

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
The R9 290X can supposedly be easily overclocked to 1100/1275 MHz which would easily outperform GTX TITAN running at 1097/1625 MHz. The difference is just 6%, but it enough to say that TITAN may need a price reduction, very soon.

redeemer

Distinguished

Forgetting that AMD owns gaming Mouse?? Frosbite 3 will power quite a few games. Devs always wanted low access and soon they will get it, but don't worry man Nvidia once Nvidia loses the consumer market they will still have the professional one, so maybe you will have to buy a Tesla or Quadro.

The difference between me and you Mouse is that I only care about getting the best product for the money, you only care about Nvidia.

redeemer

Distinguished

Yeah but much will that cost? Maxwell on 28nm is the only true answer sure it will be cut down. The real Maxwell is quite far away. Seems AMD has the upperhand for the next 6 months

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
What's funny is AMD restricted it to 2 games....wonder if that's because those are the only 2 games currently, with the current generation of drivers, where it has a decent sized lead against the GTX280....

AMD owns gaming? I guess you haven't seen the reports stating that Mantle is not going to be used in consoles then? And as it only works on GCN cards it's only going to be around for as long as they are and AMD can pay devs to implement it which with their financial status might not be as long as you think.

I am afraid I have to agree. Proprietary standards go nowhere.
Even if mantle is only implicitly propriety because it interacts with the GCN architecture itself, it will limit its success.

PraetorianPCs

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
The only thing I don't get is that AMD are leaving quite a big gap. The 780 easily beats the 280x by well over 10, maybe even 20 FPS but then the 290x beats the 780 by a bit so there is that gap which Nvidia are filling up even more because apparently they'll be releasing a 770 Ti soon

The GTX780 has been out for 6 months, yet the R9 290X is only 10% to 15% more powerful in frame rate benchmarking over a stock GTX780? Really? That's all? This is to be expected and is definitely NOT worth the extra $100 to buy a R9 290X over a GTX780. What isn't shown here is that the frame latencies are still superior on the 6-month old GTX780 - nuff said! I would rather have lower FPS and a smoother gaming experience than higher FPS and a bunch of choppiness. NVidia FTW!!
First of all, as you get to the higher end cards, the gap between performance gets smaller and smaller. When we go to 20nm expect to see some interesting changes.

Remember GTX670 vs 680 or 780 vs Titan. Relatively high price gap for a small performance boost. Its the law of diminishing returns.

The prices are not even released yet and also will drop after being out for a while.
And single card frame latency is essentially equal on AMD single card setups. Check out some reviews and see for yourself.

Blind fanboys that cannot see the faults in their brand or merits in another are by far the most annoying.

redeemer

Distinguished

Smaller die same 28nm node though

jbc029

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Let me fix that for you and give some context to what happened this past May (less than 6 months ago):

The 7970 has been out for 18 months, yet the GTX780 is only 15% to 20% more powerful in frame rate benchmarking over a stock 7970? Really? That's all? This is to be expected and is definitely NOT worth the extra $250 to buy a GTX780 over a 7970. Thank god no one mentioned that frame latencies haven't been a single card issue for either brand for a couple of years now. Maybe someone will still think that's a problem.

scritty

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
From what I've read the 280 is at least as good if not better than Nvidias 770 - and in the UK a LOT cheaper (£80 = $120 cheaper).
Holding off on buying my next card till I see the full specs on this one. Nvidia don't seem to be at the races price for performance wise if thesew results are true.
If this is right the worm has turned after so many years.

teiva

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Time to upgrade one of my video cards. I'lI look forward to running one of these 290x. I actually like hardware from AMD, INTEL & NVidia. These companies don't pay me to exclusively like them lol :)

t41nt3d

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Well comparing these benchmarks to Tom's earlier 4K Gaming benchmarks, in Tomb Raider with same settings Titan gets 34.98 avg fps, which still beats r9 290x here.

It's definitely not a Titan killer, but it can match it, some games win/lose, which after however long the Titan's been out for isn't really something to be proud of tbh.

One card is still nowhere near enough for 4k gaming anyway. Not for the most demanding of games which will only increase now. I'll stick to 1080p.

Are you upset that everything said so far has been countered or do you actually have a worthy point?

oxiide

Distinguished

Has it been confirmed somewhere officially that Mantle will only function with AMD GCN hardware? I know AMD keeps name-dropping GCN in its marketing materials about Mantle—of course they are—but I haven't put a lot of stock in that as of yet.

Of course Microsoft wants nothing to do with it. But if its just going to be a gimmick to sell AMD hardware instead of an attempt at a new standard for PC gaming, this is going to be a real disappointment for everyone.

PraetorianPCs

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
The only thing I don't get is that AMD are leaving quite a big gap. The 780 easily beats the 280x by well over 10, maybe even 20 FPS but then the 290x beats the 780 by a bit so there is that gap which Nvidia are filling up even more because apparently they'll be releasing a 770 Ti soon

t41nt3d

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Well comparing these benchmarks to Tom's earlier 4K Gaming benchmarks, in Tomb Raider with same settings Titan gets 34.98 avg fps, which still beats r9 290x here.

It's definitely not a Titan killer, but it can match it, some games win/lose, which after however long the Titan's been out for isn't really something to be proud of tbh.

One card is still nowhere near enough for 4k gaming anyway. Not for the most demanding of games which will only increase now. I'll stick to 1080p.

jenesuispasbavard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

Don't know why you're being downvoted mate, you're quite right. If this is $600, handily beats the $650 GTX 780, and competes with the $1000 GTX Titan, I don't see how NVIDIA can sustain those prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.