First Official AMD Radeon R9 290X Benchmarks

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

Exactly. I've seen those on multiple websites, and they just don't look right. I remember saw a benchmark somewhere, where a 660Ti beat out a Titan in Hitman Absolution, maxed out. I can tell you my 660ti runs Hitman 8xAA (what the graph said it was running at) at about 18fps.

Its not a 100% "new" GPU but its new in that its not one we have seen before. It has more SPUs, a wider memory bus with 33% more VRAM and is based on GCN 2.0 which should have some improvements alone.

If anything its taking the HD7790 and pasting that into a HD7970.

I remember that.

Not to defend it, but only to keep in a more balanced place, none of the current or beta AMD drivers support the R9-290X. 13.11 supports the R9-280 series but not the 290 yet.

And that could be the cause for the higher temps as it wont work with the BIOS on the fan profile.

I never trust rumors but normally the closer to launch, the more closely the rumors reflect the facts.

Same thing happened with the FX series from AMD.

That's why I mentioned the broken BIOS and it is a "leak" so who knows what conditions it was running under? It will be interesting to see if those temps are ever replicated on the released card though even if it does take Furmark to do it.

Exactally. Considering it is bigger, I would almost expect a bit higher temps than the HD7970 on the same cooler. If its a new cooler I doubt people will reach that unless they are in an ambient of 100F.

Looks like hot and loud is the norm for this card so it may be time to break out all the 480 jibes and rebadge them! :lol:

I am running an EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature. It is doing fine, although I have given the 780Ti some thought, but see no need at the moment.

grumpytrooper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

The 680 is a great card, I run a Titan myself and that plays everything I own perfectly so I wont be upgrading anytime soon either.

I don't know what the upgrade path would be for a Titan except for maybe sli.

Status
Not open for further replies.