[SOLVED] First PC Build Disaster. Need Help to fix it.

Crash_Overiidee

Reputable
May 16, 2016
I build my pc in 2015. At the time I posted in this forum, I wrote that I needed a pc able to edit video and maybe play a game or two.. at the time all these parts and monitor came to be about $1400 and now as you can see the part list only comes out to about $470. Well times have changed for me and I no longer really do much graphic design and if I do I use my macbook pro. I want to ditch console gaming and want to turn this into a gaming pc. I want a good build that can stand games at the highest settings without dropping frames. I am unsure if I should try to get new parts to make that happen or if I should just try to sell this pc and build a new one. Please help. I'm tired of playing consoles

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1240 V5 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-X150-PLUS WS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($142.82 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - X400 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Hitachi - Deskstar 7K2000 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB G1 Gaming Video Card
Case: Antec - VSK4000E U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill - 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $462.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-07 20:04 EST-0500

Solution
Honestly it's not that bad - a 4c/8t cpu up to 3.9Ghz turbo with a GTX 1070 - it's no slouch. The price is misleading since there are no values for the CPU, SSD and GPU so that's why it seems devalued.

The only thing I would change, is the power supply - the Rosewill Glacier is a bit old design and also not the greatest quality unit... Grab a Seasonic Gold 550w, good deal with the rebate for $50 ($70 w/ $20 MIR) from either B&H or Newegg.

Since you mentioned graphic design, I am curious as to what monitor you have (esp the resolution and refresh rate)... your current system would be great for just about any game @ 1080p but if you have a 2k or 4k monitor - yes you can probably use an upgrade to push more frames.
Honestly it's not that bad - a 4c/8t cpu up to 3.9Ghz turbo with a GTX 1070 - it's no slouch. The price is misleading since there are no values for the CPU, SSD and GPU so that's why it seems devalued.

The only thing I would change, is the power supply - the Rosewill Glacier is a bit old design and also not the greatest quality unit... Grab a Seasonic Gold 550w, good deal with the rebate for $50 ($70 w/ $20 MIR) from either B&H or Newegg.

Since you mentioned graphic design, I am curious as to what monitor you have (esp the resolution and refresh rate)... your current system would be great for just about any game @ 1080p but if you have a 2k or 4k monitor - yes you can probably use an upgrade to push more frames.

Last edited:
Solution

Crash_Overiidee

Reputable
May 16, 2016

Yeah, I have a Dell S2715H 27.0" 60Hz Monitor. The thing is that I know my pc can play games pretty well. I just want something that will be a beast. I want to get a 4k gaming monitor and I want it to be able to run at highest settings on every game. Also, with this current build I have no idea why my DDR4 Memory is only running at 1066Mhz and it won't let me change it in the BIOS.. or maybe I am not looking in the right place.

Upgrading the video card to a 1080 (Ti) or 2080 should get you to 4k gaming, rest of the parts should be good enough. Higher res gaming mostly depends on the video card and your CPU is good enough for games.

And the power supply could use a change as above.

Agree the best bet would likely be, is to upgrade the monitor and GPU together when the time comes - would give you the best value for your dollar since you don't have to upgrade unnecessarily and you can take advantage of the latest gen cards and prices.

As far as the memory goes, afaik the x150 should be able to hit 2133 max but I don't think they support XMP but do support ECC, typical workstation chipset. Might have to plug-and-chug your specific timings to get the memory to the max 2133 or at least as close as you can to it.