[SOLVED] First time building a PC, I am ordering a M.2 SSD. Do I need a HDD?

Aug 10, 2021
Howdy,

As the title entails, this is my first time building a PC from the bottom up. My previous PC was an Acer pre-build (Predator G AG3-605-UR11). Long story short, that PC went to <Mod Edit> , so I salvaged it for its GTX 970, 16GB DDR3 RAM, and for its i7 4790 (3.6 GHz). I then went ahead and currently ordered all the other parts necessary for a gaming PC (As far as I know). I have a motherboard ( Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 ) on the way, the case, the PSU, CPU Cooler, and now I am stuck trying to figure out whether I need to order a 1TB M.2 SSD OR a 1TB Seagate HDD OR both.

I'm going to link the build from pcpartpicker.com so that you guys can have a visual.

But I really am just trying to figure out, if I am going to be okay with gaming if I only order an M.2 1TB SSD or if I need a hard drive as well.

I would like to also add that I would like to remove the HDD trays from my case for the convenience of cable management, but my mobo only has one M.2 slot.

Please advise me. Thanks in advance :)

PCPARTPICKER Components List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZpJdZZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I'd really not buy a CPU and mainboard from seven generations ago...(and certainly not for gaming, what with so many 6c/12t CPUs now available from AMD or Intel...)

Additionally, no real advantage to M.2 NVME drives in 4rth gen mainboards, many were problematic at getting them to even be bootable, and pretty much none ran at PCI-e 3.0 X4 lanes speed/32 Gbps...

If you have a 1 GB SSD (be it SATA, 2.5" or M.2) or NVME M.2, you'd only need other storage medium if your storage needs exceed perhaps 60-70% of the available space. (An additional drive, be it SSD or spinning drive, might be good to have as a place for storing backups, be it complete backups or just critical files/photos, etc....)

If going with the 4th gen mainboard listed...
I'd really not buy a CPU and mainboard from seven generations ago...(and certainly not for gaming, what with so many 6c/12t CPUs now available from AMD or Intel...)

Additionally, no real advantage to M.2 NVME drives in 4rth gen mainboards, many were problematic at getting them to even be bootable, and pretty much none ran at PCI-e 3.0 X4 lanes speed/32 Gbps...

If you have a 1 GB SSD (be it SATA, 2.5" or M.2) or NVME M.2, you'd only need other storage medium if your storage needs exceed perhaps 60-70% of the available space. (An additional drive, be it SSD or spinning drive, might be good to have as a place for storing backups, be it complete backups or just critical files/photos, etc....)

If going with the 4th gen mainboard listed above, a normal 2.5" SATA drive of 1 TB (Samsung 860/870 EVO or Crucial MX500) is more than sufficient, IMO...(no real noticeable real-world advantages to an NVME M.2 drive on that mainboard)

Last edited:
Solution
Howdy,

As the title entails, this is my first time building a PC from the bottom up. My previous PC was an Acer pre-build (Predator G AG3-605-UR11). Long story short, that PC went to <Mod Edit> , so I salvaged it for its GTX 970, 16GB DDR3 RAM, and for its i7 4790 (3.6 GHz). I then went ahead and currently ordered all the other parts necessary for a gaming PC (As far as I know). I have a motherboard ( Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 ) on the way, the case, the PSU, CPU Cooler, and now I am stuck trying to figure out whether I need to order a 1TB M.2 SSD OR a 1TB Seagate HDD OR both.

I'm going to link the build from pcpartpicker.com so that you guys can have a visual.

But I really am just trying to figure out, if I am going to be okay with gaming if I only order an M.2 1TB SSD or if I need a hard drive as well.

I would like to also add that I would like to remove the HDD trays from my case for the convenience of cable management, but my mobo only has one M.2 slot.

Please advise me. Thanks in advance :)

PCPARTPICKER Components List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZpJdZZ
Only you know how many games you want to store.
If you remove the hdd tray you won't be able to expand storage in that area.
You could go with usb ext storage or get a bigger ssd.

Aug 10, 2021
  1. That NVMe drive will not work properly, or fully in that system.
  2. I would NOT buy into a 4790 based system today. And I have one.
  3. 1x 8GB RAM....no.
  4. $700, you can almost certainly get recent parts.

I've decided after listening to the community on here & Reddit, to go with a Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive instead of the NVMe. Also, it's worth noting that I am not purchasing the 4790. I salvaged it from my prebuild. So I am trying to work with what I have, as I don't really have the funds to go and buy a newer gen CPU. Also, I have 2 x 8GB RAM.

Will the 2.5" SSD be sufficient enough to boot?

Aug 10, 2021

If going with the 4th gen mainboard listed above, a normal 2.5" SATA drive of 1 TB (Samsung 860/870 EVO or Crucial MX500) is more than sufficient, IMO...(no real noticeable real-world advantages to an NVME M.2 drive on that mainboard)

I greatly appreciate your response. I am now going to go ahead and go with your reccomadation and purchase a Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive. Also, I feel like I should note that the only reason that I am purchasing a 4th gen mobo is because it is the only board that is compatible with my CPU as it is a Z97 chipset. And I salvaged the CPU from my build. Thanks for response again :)