Question Fixes for playable BF V?

soldier5637

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
Im wondering if anyone's found a fix for the skipping and stuttering due to the insane CPU usage of BF V? I've tried some generic online fixes like switching between DX11 and 12, FFR on and off, etc. Still, stutters like clockwork. And Although not the newest hardware (You can see it in my signature below), it should be more than up for the task at 1080p.

Bfv is very CPU demanding and likes many cores and threads.

Your 6600k only has 4 threads so i would expect a little stutter.

What you can try it turning up graphics settings. This will shift some load from CPU to gpu. It will not improve framerate, but will smooth it out.

Im wondering if anyone's found a fix for the skipping and stuttering due to the insane CPU usage of BF V? I've tried some generic online fixes like switching between DX11 and 12, FFR on and off, etc. Still, stutters like clockwork. And Although not the newest hardware (You can see it in my signature below), it should be more than up for the task at 1080p.
Your CPU only has 4 threads, you are running 2400Mhz ram and possibly a single module. All of these factors combined make Battlefield run terrible. If you are running a single module, upgrading to 2x8GB or 2x16GB would increase fps by nearly 50%. Upgrading to 3000-3200Mhz would get you another 20+fps.

Upgrading to an i7 is not exactly a simple matter. Used or new Skylake and Kabylake i7s are still ridiculously overpriced to the point you are better off buying a Ryzen 5 3600 with motherboard and reusing your DDR4 memory for the same price as an i7-7700k by itself. A 2x8GB 3200 kit is around $60-70 and a single 16GB 2400 would be around $55-65.

soldier5637

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
Your CPU only has 4 threads, you are running 2400Mhz ram and possibly a single module. All of these factors combined make Battlefield run terrible. If you are running a single module, upgrading to 2x8GB or 2x16GB would increase fps by nearly 50%. Upgrading to 3000-3200Mhz would get you another 20+fps.

Upgrading to an i7 is not exactly a simple matter. Used or new Skylake and Kabylake i7s are still ridiculously overpriced to the point you are better off buying a Ryzen 5 3600 with motherboard and reusing your DDR4 memory for the same price as an i7-7700k by itself. A 2x8GB 3200 kit is around $60-70 and a single 16GB 2400 would be around $55-65.

Im using 4x4Gb. I would never use a single channel.

I guess so, I just cant believe its so poorly optimized for the vast majority of people who still have quad core. I found it hard to believe there was no settings you could turn off to help the stutter. Thats EA I guess..
It’s well optimised as it can use many threads very well, better than many games. Game requirements have moved forward and Intel’s shortcomings in thread count have been left showing, the older i5’s have not aged well compared to i7’s. Even the 6 core latest i5’s can show limitations and 4 core is i3 level.

Consider this. The best single core performance has not increased much in the past few years. A 6700k or 7700k at 5ghz is simmilar to a 9700k at 5ghz in single core performance.

In order to keep making CPU's more powerful, CPU's are gaining more cores (thank AMD) and games are being made to leverage more cores for superior performance.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Intel doesn't want you to use old equipment, neither does nvidia nor Amd, and their reach crosses many boundaries of many ppl, not just EA or Origin or Virgin etc. So when the public in general demands new games that have uber realism, massive amounts of data that simply cannot be coded into few threads with overly long strings, those 3 are more than happy to recommend a minimum level of new stuff, 6 core cpus, hyperthreading etc. There's even new games minimum of 16Gb ram and recommended 32Gb ram.

And it's only going to get worse. Dual core cpus are already obsolete, quads are on the verge, the plain 6core i5's will be next. Only the older i7's with decent IPC will last any length of time, my older 3770k is already starting to suffer from low IPC rates.

Turn on v-sync in game, or limit fps to 60 or below, running wide open is what's allowing the stutters, gpu is having to try and double up on frame outputs and failing when the cpu can't buffer fast enough.

Intel doesn't want you to use old equipment, neither does nvidia nor Amd, and their reach crosses many boundaries of many ppl, not just EA or Origin or Virgin etc. So when the public in general demands new games that have uber realism, massive amounts of data that simply cannot be coded into few threads with overly long strings, those 3 are more than happy to recommend a minimum level of new stuff, 6 core cpus, hyperthreading etc. There's even new games minimum of 16Gb ram and recommended 32Gb ram.

Game developers have a reason to make their games playable on as many systems as possible. However as you say the public/consumer demands better and better games which is going to push up minimum requirements.

Reactions: Phaaze88

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So if I can get a used 7700K for about $260 CAD and can sell my 6600K for about $180 CAD, is it worthwhile? Will it make a difference in stuttering?

Should somewhat, but you'll probably still be looking at keeping your fps limited to reduce too much cpu load.

What fps are you getting? Try as suggested, use fps limiter program (Msi Afterburner) to around 60fps. Experiment with lower and higher fps and watch cpu usage.

InvalidError

Titan
It’s well optimised as it can use many threads very well, better than many games.
Using many threads is one thing, using them efficiently is another. I'd be curious to find out how much of a typical "heavily threaded" game's CPU time is actually wasted busy-waiting on memory value checks (the likes of "lock cmpxchg" and "lock xadd") to avoid relinquishing time slices by using mutexes and semaphores.

Since you have a DDR4 memory already, you're probably better off switching to Ryzen AM4 platform, get yourself 6 or 8 cores.

You can get used Ryzen 1600's, 2600's and 2700x's for cheap.

Get a B450 motherboards brand new for cheap.

Last edited: