Question Flickering on part of screen with a new RTX 3070 FE ?

jrmgilbert

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016
Hey guys,

I just got my hands on a RTX 3070 Founder's Edition but after installing and booting up I noticed that the lower part of my main monitor flickers randomly every second or so. Here's a video of that in "action": View: https://imgur.com/a/lGmy1Ib

Monitor is an ASUS PB278Q (1440p, 60 Hz), paired with an Acer 120 Hz monitor plugged in HDMI which shows no issue. Rest of the computer is a Ryzen 3700x in an MSI B550 Tomahawk, 750W Seasonic PSU. Previous card was a GTX 1070, plugged with the same DP cable and had no problems. I plugged that one back in in the meantime and it is still working well. Drivers are up-to-date, and I tested with 2 different DP cables, in all of the card's DisplayPort ports, but got the exact same result every time.
I saw some posts that suggested setting the DisplayPort Stream to 1.2 but I couldn't find such a setting on the monitor. Others mentioned setting the frequency to 59 Hz instead but that didn't work for me.

Does that kind of flickering ring a bell to anyone? Should I prepare to RMA the card?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Hey guys,

I just got my hands on a RTX 3070 Founder's Edition but after installing and booting up I noticed that the lower part of my main monitor flickers randomly every second or so. Here's a video of that in "action": View: https://imgur.com/a/lGmy1Ib

Monitor is an ASUS PB278Q (1440p, 60 Hz), paired with an Acer 120 Hz monitor plugged in HDMI which shows no issue. Rest of the computer is a Ryzen 3700x in an MSI B550 Tomahawk, 750W Seasonic PSU. Previous card was a GTX 1070, plugged with the same DP cable and had no problems. I plugged that one back in in the meantime and it is still working well. Drivers are up-to-date, and I tested with 2 different DP cables, in all of the card's DisplayPort ports, but got the exact same result every time.
I saw some posts that suggested setting the DisplayPort Stream to 1.2 but I couldn't find such a setting on the monitor. Others mentioned setting the frequency to 59 Hz instead but that didn't work for me.

Does that kind of flickering ring a bell to anyone? Should I prepare to RMA the card?

Thanks a lot in advance :)
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Driver in Control Panel (skip if there is none)

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

jrmgilbert

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016
Thank you for the detailed step by step, I have done some of these (clean driver install, Windows graphics settings), but I will try this whole process tonight. Is this to solve a known issue, or just a standard way to make sure everything is clean?

jrmgilbert

Honorable
Nov 17, 2016
Hey! Apologies for not updating the thread. Nothing solved the issue on the drivers/BIOS side. I had the chance to try another, more recent monitor (LG 27GN850-B) since then and this one worked with no flickering (DP to DP) so I suspected an incompatibility between the card and monitor... I ended up purchasing a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that I plugged into the back of the card, then HDMI to the PB278Q monitor, and no issue since then.

Dec 7, 2021
Had the same thing happening and it turns out the display cable could not handle the bandwidth of the new display port...I got a new 4k capable display cable and the flickering stopped