Folding@Home: THGC Needs You -Team 40051

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey now, This Works! :D
(and there are settings for Nvidia cards there also)

I plugged in the suggested values for Environment Variables:

FLUSH_INTERVAL = 128
BROOK_YIELD = 2
CAL_PRE_FLUSH = 1
CAL_NO_FLUSH = 0

Now my GPU (folding operations) is more than triple, and my CPU usage is 2% for the FahCore_11.exe.
System Idle Process went to 88%

Now I can add 2 CPU folders to use all that idle time. :)

Thanks for the great info. :hello:

Last i checked, it is.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16375

This is the last info i got from about V7. You'll need to read both pages of the thread to get the full idea of whats going on with v7 although the first comment that VijayPande (the project top guy and the starter of F@H) in the #5 point, he mentions this,

VijayPande

5) ATI deprecated their GPU language, Brook, in favor of OpenCL. So, we were forced to completely rewrite our GPU core for ATI in openCL. This takes time, especially to write highly optimized code. We have been internally testing this and expect to start beta testing it shortly (days to weeks). It will require client changes that are now built into the v7 client.

Although there "days to weeks" = ours actual "weeks to months".

Welcome to the team! :bounce:

Nice way of looking at things. Although how long can we keep this up? ;)

Anyways, I got some interesting news. No v7 client yet but it has to do with intel's sandybridge intergrated gpu. :heink:

http://en.fah-addict.net/news/news-0-317+is-the-sandy-bridge-gpu-compatible-with-opencl.php

Certainly a possibility of folding. (with F@H reworking the codes for Open CL), we could have a new way of folding things. Although dont expect big PPD with this (well on the gpu side of the cpu's ;) )

A fan can make so much difference in the temps of the components, it's amazing.
I would like to know how much the temps dropped while folding if you would be so kind to tell me, sir. :sol:

Well lookee what just arrived.

1002980m.jpg

For starters I can tell you that I just switched my Yate Loon D12SM-12 for my wonderfull more powerfull Enermax TB Silence and the cpu temp went up by 8C.

I ask, how can this be when the Enermax is supposed to have more airflow??

At least the new GTX works....so far.. :D

How can i be super warmon if you keep buying parts at a faster rate than I? :lol: Although eventually i will have more powerful hardware, but no where near the performance that you have for now anyways. :sarcastic:

Eventully though, i'll invest in hardware that could make 1/2 to 2/3 of what the team is making now. Only a matter of money and time :)

I feel sure that day will come and then we shall all bow to SW. [:graywolf]

I have figured out my fan issues.

The Yate airflow was in CFM and the Enermax was in m3/h so the Enermax has less airflow than the Yate.

What a doughnut.

So if the Enermax is rated 70m3/h and the Yate 70cfm whos gonna do the math.....warmon??

:lol:

not only are we ahead of them, were now (practically) matched in PPD's :D

Toms: 217,821
MSI: 217,238

Although issue now is, both teams see the same threats of other teams.

"Clube do Hardware - Brasil" 1 threat to both teams, (no way we are stopping that train. even if both teams combind :lol:) "1.4 months"

That will bump us down to 81st and 82nd place but then both teams will past

ADSLgr - Greek aDSL Users & ADSLgr - Greek aDSL Users will pass up in 1.9 months, Making us 79th and 80th rank.

*thats if i we keep this pattern up.*

Anyways, good news, I wasn't using my laptop for as long as i thought i was going to be. So..... It's back to the folding. :bounce: (although nothing will show up till this Saturday that I'm folding again. :sarcastic: ) So i'll assist in what i can to keep MSI behind us.

I'm rocking out my Phenom II X4 810 @ 3.12GHz now as well whenever it doesn't need to be used

might think about getting my HTPC into this as well with the standard client (not SMP) since it rocks out only an Athlon II X2

I've filled up the Antec 300 with fans.

2x Enermax Everest 120mm front
1x Enermax TB on the cpu
120mm and 140mm Antecs rear and top exhaust that came with it.

Theres room for a 120mm side fan that blows directly onto the card but thats not in.

Compared to running with the side off, the OC'd 460 is Folding at 50C, it was 58C so a worthwhile decrease.

Noise is ok, more fans but with the side on it dulls the noise a bit, gonna set it up with the 2x460's next.

Does the cpu speed or memory have any effect on the Folding speed of the graphics cards? Trying to run everything low vault and low speed, just let the cards do the work, the cpu usage is around the 20% mark while folding.

doubled

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006

UPS brought goods last night, new mobo for hex core and 2 470GTXs. We'll be walking away from them shortly

*sees blue streaks* ooooooooo :eek:

Now i wonder what F@H is up to. :heink: They been very quiet for the week. Only mentioning about a few new single core WU's on Monday. Certainly not normal as im used to seeing 2 to 4 updates a week. Wonder if something big going on behind the closed doors of Standford. (maybe the client v7 getting all hands on desk for a final push?)

Idk, It just not normal for them to be quiet.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Uh oh. The gloves are comming off now. Ak419, you better watch out.

Just remember, if your running linux, use "wine" (if possible) to run bigadv. ;)

:wahoo:

doubled

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006

I'll be running Server 2008R2 on that box.

Hooked the 2x460's up in the old rig, course that has warmed things up a bit with 2. They were Folding at temps - Top 60C / Bot 54C with all case fans on.

Then I installed the side fan that blows directly onto the cards and they now chug along at Top 54C / Bot 50C which I like a lot, they both say about 11kppd so I'll give them a good run this weekend and see.

For a mid to low price case the Antec 300 does supply some serious cooling power.

**UNDER CONSTRUCTION** Tie wrap anyone??

1003009c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.