Forum Rules - Where are they?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I know darned well that when one signs up for membership these are presented and you must agree to them, but I'll be darned if I can find them for direct reference after the fact.

I believe there is mention of help not being permitted to be provided via private message, but only on the forums, and if my memory is correct I'd like to find that rule for quoting.

I'm not seeing an easy-to-find direct access to the forum rules anywhere (or at least anywhere even vaguely obvious).

USAFRet

Titan
In part, a sticky at the top of every Forum, including this one.

USAFRet

Titan
To your question about PM assistance, I don't think there is any hard/fast rule.

Rather: "Please post this as a question in the relevant Forum. The collective brain is much smarter than mine on its own, and everyone will benefit from the conversation"

Reactions: rgd1101

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I already did a PM in response saying pretty much what was said above, and have already answered on the public topic that did get created.

But I could swear that when I first joined I vividly recall seeing a specific rule in regard to not asking for assistance with homework (and that's only one thing) and that is not in the sticky post referenced above.

Perhaps I've taken further leave of my senses.

USAFRet

Titan
Assistance with "homework" is a whole different thing.
And also not (unofficially) allowed.

"We won't do your homework for you. Show us your stopping point, and maybe we can assist."

Someone may have said: "Forum rules don't allow...", but I don't think that is written into law.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

rgd1101

Don't
not a sticky anymore

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You don't really need a rule to not help people over PM. Private messages are your personal space (we moderators cannot see them, FYI), if you don't want to help people over PM (I don't, nor do most of us mods) just tell them you don't do that, or use something like USAFRet mentioned.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, I definitely guide people to post in threads, not PM me. We're not paid customer support after all. I try to assist people as my time allows since I'm a hobbyist, but if someone wants exclusive claim on my time, well, that's not free.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
OK.

My point about not assisting via PM, except perhaps very trivially, is philosophical. Forums such as this exist for public exchange of information. When individuals seek private in-depth assistance it violates the very spirit of what these communities are supposed to be about.

I am perfectly capable of saying this in a diplomatic manner when necessary, and have. However, if a forum has a formal rule prohibiting this (and one of my other long time haunts, Bleeping Computer, does) that can be used to back up one's own assertion that they won't do it. That's the only reason I asked.

I really don't believe in having "the unending rule book" but there are lots of common things that should not be left as "unwritten rules." It is my belief that prohibiting assistance from being requested or given off-forum using the PM system (whatever it may be called) is one of those.

People will, of course, break that rule if it exists. But we don't avoid making rules because they'll be broken. "There oughta be a law," as an old adage came about because what isn't explicitly illegal is considered legal.