[SOLVED] New build: power button blinking and there's no display ?

May 12, 2024
Hi all,

I come here looking for help as my new computer won't work for some reason I can't figure out. When I turn it on, everything seems to run just fine : fans light up, CPU pump lights up, RAM lights up, everything seems to run just fine but the power button keeps blinking and I've no display. I assume the computer isn't booting but since I don't have any display I don't know for sure.

Here are the specs :

CPU : i5-13600k
Motherboard : Asus Prime B760-Plus
SSD : Kingston A400 (240GB) (No OS installed as of now)
RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2x16 GB)
PSU : MSI MAG A750GL (750W)
GPU : Asus Phoenix GTX 1050Ti 4 GB (not installed for now as I have integrated graphics on the CPU and I'm trying to pinpoint the issue before installing optional components)

I also have a more detailed list of the components here : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/f4ZvxH
Every component is brand new (aside from the CPU cooler Corsair H100 RGB which came without pre-applied thermal paste so I had to use mine)

After an extensive research, here's some of the troobleshooting I've already looked into :

• CPU : I suspected the CPU might be defective as it was clearly used before I bought it, but I had it replaced with a brand new one and the issue remains.
  • PSU : suspected it might have been a power issue so I bought an entirely new PSU (the aforementioned MSI) and it still doesn't work.
  • RAM : tried reseating the RAM modules in following the appropriate placements according to the MOBO manual and also tried with only one stick, didn't change anything.
  • BIOS : some people on the internet seem to suggest updating the BIOS as the motherboard might not support 13th gen processors without an update but that seems like a delicate maneuver and after looking it up, my motherboard should support my processor as it is (according to ASUS's website, the i5-13600k is validated since "all" BIOS).

I've gone through most of the troubleshooting steps listed here : https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/ and yet still can't make things work. I hope this is the right place to post this. Please help me out, I feel like I've tried every thing.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Please help me out, I feel like I've tried every thing.
One thing is still left untried: MoBo replacement.

I think MoBo is the issue, since you've essentially ruled out every other component.

power button keeps blinking
This means that PC is trying to read from SSD. But since you have no OS there, nothing happens.

Last ditch effort to try, before MoBo replacement: remove the SSD from the system and have monitor hooked to MoBo. Look if you can get and image. Without data drives, build will boot to BIOS only.

Regarding CPU, are you certain it is i5-13600K and not i5-13600KF?
Since if it is F-suffix CPU, you will need dedicated GPU in the build to see the image. If you are unsure, plug the GTX 1050 Ti into build, hook monitor to GPU and look if you then get an image.

May 12, 2024
One thing is still left untried: MoBo replacement.

I think MoBo is the issue, since you've essentially ruled out every other component.

This means that PC is trying to read from SSD. But since you have no OS there, nothing happens.

Last ditch effort to try, before MoBo replacement: remove the SSD from the system and have monitor hooked to MoBo. Look if you can get and image. Without data drives, build will boot to BIOS only.

Regarding CPU, are you certain it is i5-13600K and not i5-13600KF?
Since if it is F-suffix CPU, you will need dedicated GPU in the build to see the image. If you are unsure, plug the GTX 1050 Ti into build, hook monitor to GPU and look if you then get an image.
Hello Aeacus,

Thanks for your help ! It is indeed a 13600K and not a 13600KF. I ended up finding the problem however : it was a defective RAM stick.

I hadn't tried each stick separately and thus didn't realize one of them wasn't working, I was only trying with the same stick every time when I only used one (the defective one). As soon as I tried the other one the computer booted. But truth be told I would not have expected either of the modules to be defective since they were fresh and in mint condition. Nevertheless, I swapped them for new RAM and now everything works perfectly.

I appreciate your help :) Have a good one.