Foxconn Says iPhone 5 Will Put Galaxy S III to Shame

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
[citation][nom]alexmx[/nom]AFAIK, they get recycled, at least here in my country.When you go to renew your phone, the place has bins where you can put either separately or complete the phones plus their batteries[/citation]
I'm sure a lot of service providers recycle a large number of the phones and have similar bin systems like you talked about. It probably diverts a lot of the phones from landfills. Every little bit helps I guess.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Take that. :lol:

longshotthe1st

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]Sure, like how Tom's Hardware journalism puts everyone else to shame right?[/citation]
...and yet here you are.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Wait. This must mean that the Samsung phone might be manufactured by someone other than Foxconn. That makes me interested in the Samsung device

G

If the new iphone has LTE that along with a 4" screen at least puts it in a good place to compete. Some(me) will still prefer a bigger screen but at least its getting better.

G

I'm a huge android fan and own a galaxy nexus, but upcoming windows phone 8 phones seem to be getting a little interesting both on specs and features.

[citation][nom]fsaasfs[/nom]I'm a huge android fan and own a galaxy nexus, but upcoming windows phone 8 phones seem to be getting a little interesting both on specs and features.[/citation]

well MS now has to start the windows phone userbase (including all the people that fell for the lumina) from scratch since they just told their early adopters to go screw themselves over windows phone 8

kryzzay

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
LOL what's the iPhone going to have? 6 core or even 8 core CPU, 2gb of ram? GPU twice as fast as the SG3? I highly doubt it. Looks like this fool is just stirring the pot. "Oh guys just wait a little longer, you can wait it's fun waiting." Then on release we all find out it's a piece of crap. Piss off.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]kryzzay[/nom]LOL what's the iPhone going to have? 6 core or even 8 core CPU, 2gb of ram? GPU twice as fast as the SG3? I highly doubt it. Looks like this fool is just stirring the pot. "Oh guys just wait a little longer, you can wait it's fun waiting." Then on release we all find out it's a piece of crap. Piss off.[/citation]

I agree. From a purely specs perspective, I don't see how any phone could blow it away in the next few months. The GSIII isn't perfect, but it doesn't have any glaring performance holes that could be blown away. This guy's proclamation rings completely hollow, unless Apple is planning on doing something very unApple-like by releasing a product that isn't a typical incremental upgrade. In fact, it is going to take something significantly more than an incremental update from Apple just to level the playing field with Samsung and HTC, let alone blow either away.

pcCodinFoo

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Apple’s software rocks (except in the security department) and always has, but hardware wise, they have never put anything to shame. If anything, they are typically 18 months behind the technology curve because they take forever making sure everything is perfect between their software and the hardware. I find myself yawning every time I see the hardware specs of the latest Apple product (although the retinal displays are pretty cool).

i love competition, but please stop with just pure marketing, siri? (even s voice), give us something useful,
dont just do something and brand it retina and claim it for yourself.

in my opinion, if they stick with 3.5incher i dont think that would be good for them. not asking for a 5 incher, but 4ish is good.
and if that new phone will have a new connector, man they are really milking the sheeps eerrr cow i mean

i love competition, but please stop with just pure marketing, siri? (even s voice), give us something useful,

in my opinion, if they stick with 3.5incher i dont think that would be good for them. not asking for a 5 incher, but 4ish is good.
and if that new phone will have a new connector, man they are really milking the sheeps eerrr cow i mean

G

"in my opinion, if they stick with 3.5incher i dont think that would be good for them. not asking for a 5 incher, but 4ish is good.
and if that new phone will have a new connector, man they are really milking the sheeps eerrr cow i mean"

Here is an idea, how about being more like samsung or htc and offer a 3.5" and a 4.5"ish phone.

[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]I'll start by saying I expect to get thumbed down to oblivion, but...Maybe I'm just a tree-hugging stick-in-the-mud, maybe it's just my generation (but I doubt it), but what happens to all these older phones that some of you are getting rid of to upgrade to these newer, better phones every generation? I assume you sell them or give them to relatives or trade them in, but at some point, all these unused phones are making their way to a landfill somewhere.And I'm not suggesting everyone with a smart phone is upgrading everytime a new version comes out, but in all seriousness... it's a phone. Designed primarily to make phone calls, but generally used to make calls and text.And it's your money to do with as you see fit, but personally, I can't justify buying/upgrading on a regular basis when the phone I have does what I need it to do. Make a phone and text.So in all seriousness, other than the need to keep up with the Jones' and have the latest/greatest, what's the point?Begin the down thumbing.[/citation]

As others have pointed out, the used phones often get recycled and scrapped for parts/scrap metal etc.

as for upgrades, a "phone" is soo much more than just a tool to make phone calls and text people now. well, at least to people of my generation and younger. as an innovator and researcher, it keeps track of all my conference/meeting schedules, allows me to brainstorm and jot down ideas without lugging around a backpack full of note pads and reference books, allows me to read up on the latest and greatest ideas through the internet while I'm traveling, and can even be set up as a last resort device to give presentations on the fly. I can say that I would not have a job without my smartphone, and I would not be a good/efficient worker without upgrading my phone at least once every two to three years...

G

Kinda of like how Foxcons working conditions and human rights puts Samsung's to shame right?
Go Koreans!

G

The iphone 5 is better because it contains the souls of Foxconn workers. Forget Siri, now your phone will come with an actual ghost.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Andy Chow[/nom]The iphone 5 is better because it contains the souls of Foxconn workers. Forget Siri, now your phone will come with an actual ghost.[/citation]
[citation][nom]JD-023[/nom]Kinda of like how Foxcons working conditions and human rights puts Samsung's to shame right?Go Koreans![/citation]
Yeah but what do we know of Samsung partners' working conditions?

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Foxxconn has pride in things like this crap but no pride in giving decent wage, providing good working condition. Maybe you should be ashamed Foxxconn. That's too hopeful. You got none.

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Foxxconn: Forget about about how many gigahertz, core, ram iPhone 5 will have over Galaxy S phone. How about this: there'll be about half a dozen suicides in the making of millions of iPhone 5. What you got Samsung? Still 0 suicide? Pathetic.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Hardware specifications are tied to the requeriments of the OS and its typical applications so we've got to take these news with a tip of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.