Foxconn Says iPhone 5 Will Put Galaxy S III to Shame

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
an there was a king and king of kings...................enough of this bull...t its never gona be over plus the prices they expect us to pay for this bull...t is too much. remember not everyone is Bill Gates and they are too many.

G

Define shame. Big screen? Having an external micro SD card? Having a removable battery? Those things seem shameful for Apple design ideologies.

Massacher

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Samsung has a quad core phone NOW. you lost Apple. and i for one will not be buying one. i have never liked Apple and their restrictions.

cosinaphile

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
perhaps foxconn should work on lowering spipm [suicides per i phone manufactured]
currently the figure stands at 0.00000000162 per phone

.....civilized people are sickened by this figure , and the apple faithful ?
well some of them are troubled by this too .....get them a new overpriced corporprate drm managed
shiny gadget soon to distract them. or know their whitebread rage!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]cosinaphile[/nom]perhaps America should work on lowering sctf [suicides compared to Foxconn] currently the figure stands at 7.86 Americans per 1 Foxconn worker .....civilized people are sickened by this figure[/citation]
Fixed that for ya!
and by all means, please double check my figures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides
Although the number of suicides at the company is large in absolute terms, the suicide rate is still low compared to the rest of China although the country has a high suicide rate with over 20 deaths per 100,000 persons. In 2010, Foxconn's worst year for suicides with a total of 14 deaths, their total employee count was 930,000 people. The suicide rate for Foxconn that year was 1.5 per 100,000 making it well below the national average (around 7% of the national average). Even when calculated as if all the employee deaths were from the Shenzhen factory complex alone (to simulate a localised area suicide rate), which in 2010 had a workforce of 450,000, the rate is still well below the national average at 3.11 per 100,000 (around 14% the national average).

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I can't imagine what Apple will do in iOS6 that will honestly put the GS3 to shame. Maybe steal more features from Android such as face unlock--like they stole the pull-down notification tray that showed up in iOS4...

I think that if Apple allowed/facilitated truly useful features like widgets/live widgets, they might have something going. iOS is annoying because you have to go through so many annoying menus and sub-menus to accomplish mundane tasks like turning the bluetooth on and off. Whereas in Android you just tap a widget and bam, it's done. Or use one of the "settings" notification bar widgets in the pull-down tray.

Live widgets would be another nice change--unless that's something that they've put into iOS5, though I don't think they have. Efficient multitasking is greatly enhanced with live widgets--like for email, calendar, rss feeds, etc. (though these are probably more-noticeable on the ipad with the larger screen than on a smaller phone).

I will wait to see how the GS3 is put to shame. And isn't it really the iOS that has the effect? Not the phone, which has lack-luster hardware (and often not taken advantage of), and the same appearance since the phone's inception.

Massacher

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
lol Apple already lost the race as i said earlier. Samsung had quad core first and now Apple is trying to catch up. too late. people who have the GS3 aren't going to switch to the IP5.

"I think that if Apple allowed/facilitated truly useful features like widgets/live widgets, they might have something going. iOS is annoying because you have to go through so many annoying menus and sub-menus to accomplish mundane tasks like turning the bluetooth on and off. Whereas in Android you just tap a widget and bam, it's done. Or use one of the "settings" notification bar widgets in the pull-down tray."

that is why Android is the superior OS. user friendliness > aesthetics.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
TWO CUPS AND A STRING!

If there was no other choice between that and a iPhone TWO CUPS AND A STRING is what I'd choose.

That's just how deep it goes!

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
The only problem Android has in comparison to iOS is all the crap apps that are force installed on the end user by the carriers and manufacturers.
I stopped having problems on my Evo once I flashed a clean rom to it.

Apple is locked down and if you want it, you can only have it Apple's way. Same hardware, same color, same everything. As terrible as it sounds it makes its OS easier to keep stable and optimized to its hardware. Foxconn has nothing to do with iOS running "smoother" and is just boasting to keep the Apple users sick of delays and sub par performance from their last design from switching over.

And if you stop and think about it, yes, you wait another 6 months to a year and something is going to be better, so you can always wait because something better is around the corner or just pounce on the best now.

G

I had the galaxy S3 bullshit phone it was very boring and basic to me from being a previous user from tmobile when they were the first to have android but compared to iphone the phone is very basic and limited. The Iphone 4 still beats a SG3.. And android phones are worth nothing even in the first month of released never mind paying the 35o etf if their service sucks like sprint.

Massacher

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Android is open source, iOS isn't. we Android users don't have to wait for updates since the community can and does provide them. and open source is always better, 'nuff said.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
What are you trying to say Foxconn... Apple has already put you to "Shame" and yet you are still supporting them. You are just as a money hungry pig as Apple is. By the time Apple releases their phone, it'll be outdated like all their other iPhones. Samsung will already have the Galaxy 4 or even an entire new line... the Universe X or something

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
[citation][nom]chano99[/nom]I have no idea why there is so much apple hate... i tried so very hard to like android, I've tried the nexes s the galaxy s2 and the htc evo each of them were fun to play with, but riddled with bugs and other software issues. In the end what is a phone supposed to do?? Its supposed to work and thats what the iphone does, it works!! This is coming fom someone who currenty has an android phone. I tried, but im done with it.[/citation]

Android works, its just how well you can work it. I do a lot of android and apple repairs and they both have their pros and cons.

Android - Versatile, Freedom of Usage, Unlock
PROS: Aim towards users with knowledge of programming, tweaking, developing, maximizing the phone performance and battery life. Free to customize the best they can. Even putting iOS into an Android phone. Built to withstand drops and is very light.
CONS: If users dont know that they are doing, they'll bug up their phone or even kill it. Made mostly of plastic,

Apple - Locked, Governed by Apple
PROS: Simple enough for a 5 year old child to use. Less bug then Android for now... Jailbreakable. Feels quality made, mostly metal.
CONS: Governed by Apple, no freedom of choice only Apple. Cant program, develop, or maximize performance. Jailbreaking does give you a little bit of control but does not boost performance, it actually slow your phone down big time. Does not withstand drops above 2 feet. If drop, phone will shatter

G

Fool me once, Apple. iOS is so far behind Android and Windows Phone that they will have to make massive hardware improvements, change quite a bit of the software and for god's sake - a complete UI redesign. This power-gloss "plastique" UI is very hard on the eyes and between iOS and Windows Vista/7, I am so sick of seeing this garbage. Also need to make it so it can be dropped from more than 1 foot without shattering, stop riding that 'simple' philosophy that they think lets them get away with providing/paying for the development of interface features, completely re-vamp their customer service, provide REAL server-side access to data (iCloud is the biggest joke I have ever seen a marketing team pitch - absolutely worthless.) iCloud = "sync your apps (my Droid did this two years before 'iCloud'), pay for any server side storage you want at the Apple Premium and you can't even stream music unless you pay another freaking $25 for iTunes Match (and they still come in at 256kbps.)" Google services, from the beginning, backed up my data/pictures/applications/options/anything I told it to, and soon after, Google let me dump 60GB of music onto their servers and stream it as I please. Foxconn's opinion means nothing. This is the same Foxconn that took a shit into computer cases for companies (eMachines (defunct), Gateway (defunct), HP/Dell/Acer (Wal-mart quality commodities.) I've seen so many hundreds of Foxconn motherboards die in their first year that I'm still surprised from when I found out they still were in operation. Same Foxconn who wakes their employees up from the dorm-styes they must live in to start working at 3AM, no wonder the plant is riddled with safety problems and exploded earlier this year. If Apple's marketing was as good as it thinks it is - it would shut Foxconn up immediately and downplay that relationship as much as possible. As for me, I wish I would have ponied up more for the Nexus. This iPhone sucks and I'm tired of missing out and being told how to use my device. On a lighter note, the iPhone is the only one to get the screen right (high-res, small enough to be operated by one hand and doesn't try to be a tablet, better aspect ratio than HD's 16:9), but everything else has been blown away by the latest competition.

tonytech6

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
In the last 3 years. I have gained respect for Samsung and their products. I am now a loyal customer. In my opinion Samsung produces close to high end products with an amazing price tag. I would love to buy an Galaxy S III. But My Galaxy Ace hasnt really let me down yet. From what I hear on there the S III sounds like a decent phone and media device. I am interested even more.

chibiwings

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
AFAIK, they get recycled, at least here in my country.

When you go to renew your phone, the place has bins where you can put either separately or complete the phones plus their batteries
same here in our country.. im not sure probably recycled and sold as new to other countries.. lolz

G

of course Foxcon made this statement, it is there child labor that is making the iPhone 5

Status
Not open for further replies.