Question FPS and stuttering in all games on high end PC (video)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Hello, every single game I play suffers from fps drops and stuttering, I need to figure out what is causing it but have no idea what I am even supposed to be looking for. I would really appreciate the help as this has been bugging me since 2017 and nothing seems to fix it, no matter what I replace.

Also, just to get a few things out of the way that might get asked:

I have reset Windows multiple times, which never helped. I don't have any dodgy programs installed that could be causing the performance issues, I have tried Malwarebytes many times, it never finds any issues. I have XMP turned on, having it on or off changes nothing. Yes, the display port is connected to the GPU and not the motherboard.

If you have any questions please just ask, thank you.

Here is a video of me playing Battlefield V as an example, although the fps may look like it stabilizes throughout the video, it definitely does not feel like that, its a stuttering mess and just feels horrible, it's like this for every game I play, even in Minecraft believe it or not.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMHeAjE21-0

Current specs:
RTX 2080 Super
i7 7700k
Maximus IX Hero
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
Corsair RM850x PSU

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
In userbenchmark see where it says turbo is 3.05 avg? Thats really bad, it should be 4.6 for your CPU, the system is not clocking up and instead of delivering turbo its just dragging.

Download Intel Xtreme Tuning

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/66427/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Run the benchmark and share a screen shot of it (please not full screen just the window)

Then also hit "compare online" and click "analyze", then share the analyze link.

Here is the screenshot of the benchmark result.

And here is the analyze link.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Wow this is frustrating because thats not showing an issue, when it should be.

Lets go over your process, you installed Windows 10, installed motherboard drivers, GPU drivers., and then whatever game software, correct?

Anything else?

Any BIOS tweaks?

Yep, very frustrating indeed.

And that is correct, I never messed around with the bios or tried to overclock anything, I just built the PC, installed Windows 10 and installed the required drivers like for the GPU and the newest bio update at the time and then proceeded to download Steam and stuff like that, just normal stuff. Everything is up to date.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Just my keyboard and mouse.

And everything seems fine in Device Manager, no red x's

Hmm.

Ok go to Power options, set it to high performance then choose change plan setting. Click on "Change Advanced Power Settings". Go to USB and under Selective Suspend choose "Disabled", then go to Processor then Power management and Minimum processor State set it to100. Then Apply and Save. And test that with a game.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Hmm.

Ok go to Power options, set it to high performance then choose change plan setting. Click on "Change Advanced Power Settings". Go to USB and under Selective Suspend choose "Disabled", then go to Processor then Power management and Minimum processor State set it to100. Then Apply and Save. And test that with a game.

It's still doing it I am afraid.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I have to be honest with you. We covered everything. There is literally nothing else I can possibly think of, and if we can't get something to show up consistently and properly in a test or benchmark, well then I just don't know.

Is there a shop you can bring it to, that you can trust?

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
I have to be honest with you. We covered everything. There is literally nothing else I can possibly think of, and if we can't get something to show up consistently and properly in a test or benchmark, well then I just don't know.

Is there a shop you can bring it to, that you can trust?

I understand, I have had people try and help me in the past and they could not figure it out either. And I have taken it to a shop in the past but I am not really sure what they did with it, they kept it overnight and then said everything was working. Although, they were testing it on a 60hz monitor so perhaps the issues weren't as obvious to them? Or they just didn't test it, to begin with. But as the video I sent you shows, something is obviously not right and it's crazy that nothing ever shows up on tests.

An RTX 2080 Super and an i7 7700k that struggles to play basically every single game? Something is obviously not right. But thank you for trying to help me anyway, I appreciate it! :)

Edit: Also, about the place I took it to, it was just a simple shop that sells used laptops and stuff like that, they do repairs so I thought I would try my luck and take it there. And now that I think about it, the dude there didn't even know what "hz" was when I was talking about the monitor, so I doubt they are very reliable.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I understand, I have had people try and help me in the past and they could not figure it out either. And I have taken it to a shop in the past but I am not really sure what they did with it, they kept it overnight and then said everything was working. Although, they were testing it on a 60hz monitor so perhaps the issues weren't as obvious to them? Or they just didn't test it, to begin with. But as the video I sent you shows, something is obviously not right and it's crazy that nothing ever shows up on tests.

An RTX 2080 Super and an i7 7700k that struggles to play basically every single game? Something is obviously not right. But thank you for trying to help me anyway, I appreciate it! :)

Edit: Also, about the place I took it to, it was just a simple shop that sells used laptops and stuff like that, they do repairs so I thought I would try my luck and take it there. And now that I think about it, the dude there didn't even know what "hz" was when I was talking about the monitor, so I doubt they are very reliable.

Yeah sounds like he didn't know what he was talking about.

Your issue is tough because its very visual, but I know its real its easy to see in the external video. I feel like it has to be some sort of latency issue or an issue with your video output, but you've replaced every piece of hardware related to both issues multiple times. And its not like you have weird software or settings done, you redid everything from new multiple times.

Maybe see if someone else you know has a place. And still try it at someone elses house and see what happens. Can't hurt. Please let me know the outcome.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Yeah sounds like he didn't know what he was talking about.

Your issue is tough because its very visual, but I know its real its easy to see in the external video. I feel like it has to be some sort of latency issue or an issue with your video output, but you've replaced every piece of hardware related to both issues multiple times. And its not like you have weird software or settings done, you redid everything from new multiple times.

Maybe see if someone else you know has a place. And still try it at someone elses house and see what happens. Can't hurt. Please let me know the outcome.

Indeed, none of it makes any sense. And I shall be taking it to someone's house soon, I'll let you know the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.